Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Traveling from Newark to Medellin

Old May 20, 18, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I am an infrequent traveler and as such, don't pay much attention to booking reservations and flying in general. So, please excuse what may not be the brightest question and perhaps one I previously asked some time ago.
I'll be traveling from Newark, NJ (EWR) to Medellin CO (MDE) in June or July. The choices seem very limited for a direct flight and it's expensive, or even a flight with one stop - too long. Traveling from JFK would resolve the issue, but getting to JFK is a hassle for me. One thought is to book a flight from EWR to Bogota (BOG) and then take a short flight from Bogota to Medellin. However, not being fluent in Spanish worries me. Any suggestions?
And to possibly ask a sillier question, are there companies that charge a nominal fee, like $50, to help with this?
Thanks.
Old May 20, 18, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes: they're called travel agencies. The brick-and-mortar variety are a dying breed, but Liberty Travel is one chain that is still in business, and many AAA offices have a on-site travel service. Or, if you are an American Express cardholder, Amex has its own travel service, which you can reach by phone or by an in-person visit to one of their offices.

But even the best travel agent cannot create flights that do not exist. It appears that the only nonstop flights from the U.S. to MDE depart from JFK, MIA, and FLL. More information about MDE scheduled service can be found here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José...tional_Airport

Edited to add: here's a good online tool you can use to investigate fares and itineraries between EWR and MDE:

https://www.google.com/flights/

And, depending on where in NJ you are located, you might also check fares out of ABE and PHL, if those airports are not too difficult for you to reach.

Last edited by guv1976; May 20, 18 at 2:41 pm
Old May 20, 18, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

The airport link was very helpful, thanks.
And yes, I heard of travel agencies However, I haven't used one in centuries and didn't think could be used just to make reservations.
Thanks again.
Old May 20, 18, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I just returned from a trip to Cartagena and Bogota. I flew LAX -BOG, cleared immigration and customs, and connected to a BOG – CTG domestic flight. I don’t speak Spanish, but it was not at all an issue, especially at a major airport like BOG.

Looks like there are several 1-stop options like,
  • EWR – PTY and PTY – MDE on United and Copa, which are Star Alliance partners
  • EW R– BOG and BOG – MDE on United and Avianca, which are also Star Alliance partners
As guv1976 suggested, search on https://www.google.com/flights/, which shows the above flights that can be booked on united.com
Old May 20, 18, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gsusser View Post
The airport link was very helpful, thanks.
And yes, I heard of travel agencies However, I haven't used one in centuries and didn't think could be used just to make reservations.
Thanks again.
Yes, you can buy just a stand-alone airline ticket from a travel agency. But these days, you might well be charged a ticketing fee to do so.

If you are at all concerned about connecting in a foreign airport, I would look to see if there are reasonable connections via MIA on AA, or via JetBlue or Spirit via FLL. If you will be traveling in Coach and do not have elite status with any airline, I think you might be a little more comfortable on JetBlue because of their seating.

Search this Thread