Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Medellin vs. Bogota and Lima vs. Quito

Old May 7, 18, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Planning a very quick trip (late May/early June) - I'll have 3 days in Columbia and 3 days in either Peru or Ecuador. Assume transportation is not an issue for me. Any thoughts about Medellin vs. Bogota and Lima vs. Quito? Thanks!
Old May 27, 18, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Medellin has rail transit whereas Bogota does not, and it's hard to beat the climate with Medellin even though Bogota is high up as well. Quito is really high up, enough to cramp my style a bit (and I'll do fine in Denver), but YMMV. Lima is big but I like the Miraflores and coastal areas (atypical as they are for the entire metro), and Miraflores is particularly well-suited for foreigners. Also great food.
Old May 30, 18, 10:53 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
As Rusty mentioned, if you're susceptible to altitude sickness, then Quito and Bogota are places you may want to stay away from - or at least be prepared if you go. Personally I think there's more to see and do in Bogota than Medellin, but YMMV.
Old Jul 13, 18, 11:52 pm

Medellin and Bogota are two very different cities, visit both! And for me, Quito is better than Lima, but if you have the possibility to visit both cities, don't doubt and go!
Old Aug 10, 18, 7:23 am

Obviously every city has its tourist attraction, if you have to choose between Medellin or Bogota, would be Medellin because it has places that call more attention, I visit a while ago and if you plan to go I recommend using the page Yoplan.com as if you're going to Bogota. And in the case of Lima or Quito, I think it is better Quito, because you can do a lot in Quito instead of Lima.

Search this Thread