Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Car Rentals in Patagonia

Car Rentals in Patagonia

Old Mar 16, 18, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Car Rentals in Patagonia

We have an upcoming trip where we will be flying to different regions within Patagonia and then renting a car for 4 -10 days in each place. I'd love to get recommendations for car rental companies in these locations:
  • El Calafate, Argentina
  • Punta Arenas, Chile
  • Puerto Montt, Chile
Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 18, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
In Chile, Econorent is usually the cheapest option with reliable cars. Expect to pay a small fortune for an automatic, and also expect that your automatic will not be there when you arrive, and if you don't drive a manual, you're screwed.

I have never driven in Argentina.
Old Mar 17, 18, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Eastbay1K (Berkeley or Oakland?). I do drive manual, so we'll be fine.
Old Mar 19, 18, 4:53 pm

I recommend to rent through a foreign broker (preferably from your home country, if it has a competitive market), especially if you need a package that already includes insurance.
Old Apr 1, 18, 1:09 pm

rental car in el Calafate

we picked up a car and returned it in el Calafate. We used hertz. We drove to Torres del Paine. The only problem was the border crossing from Chile into Argentina TOOK A VERY LONG TIME at the Argentinian border crossing and also returning from Chile to Argentina. Make sure to get your documents stamped at the border and have permission from hertz to go to Argentina and have proper insurance. Getting gas in Torres del Paine was another challenge. We also missed the turn going to the Argentina/Chile frontier from el Calafate. we also used the rental car to go to Perito Moreno. Be careful of the winds there; they can blow the doors off a car.
overall no problems other than the border crossing from and back to Chile.
Old Apr 3, 18, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Econorent is offering rentals out of Puerto Montt for US$175 per week. That's good enough for me!
Old Aug 18, 18, 3:43 am
YKF

Avis in punta arenas
Old Jan 9, 19, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by HeavenlyJane View Post
We have an upcoming trip where we will be flying to different regions within Patagonia and then renting a car for 4 -10 days in each place. I'd love to get recommendations for car rental companies in these locations:
  • El Calafate, Argentina
  • Punta Arenas, Chile
  • Puerto Montt, Chile
Thanks.
I rented a car at the El Calafate airport and drove to Torres and Punta Arenas. I booked it through budget (budget.com.ar) I was able to reserve months ahead of my arrival which saved me money due to Argentina's inflation. In Argentina, not so much in Chile, you have to be aware of two things: Gas stations and roads. Many are gravel roads in very poor conditions. The border crossing can be slow or fast. I had arrived during lunch, and I had to wait until somebody from customs showed up (I opened and closed the border chain myself while they were eating).
If you're rental an economy car don't risk it and take the good roads and ALWAYS check for the spare tire before leaving the rental site.

Best
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dwaisman View Post
I rented a car at the El Calafate airport and drove to Torres and Punta Arenas. I booked it through budget (budget.com.ar) I was able to reserve months ahead of my arrival which saved me money due to Argentina's inflation. In Argentina, not so much in Chile, you have to be aware of two things: Gas stations and roads. Many are gravel roads in very poor conditions. The border crossing can be slow or fast. I had arrived during lunch, and I had to wait until somebody from customs showed up (I opened and closed the border chain myself while they were eating).
If you're rental an economy car don't risk it and take the good roads and ALWAYS check for the spare tire before leaving the rental site.

Best
If you travel to Torres del Paine in Chilean Patagonia, beware of the gravel roads. I have seen many overturned rental cars, and it's a long wait for a tow. I generally hire local drivers with appropriate vehicles and experience.
dwaisman likes this.

Search this Thread