Taxis in Chile

Old Feb 21, 18, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Taxis in Chile

We will be visiting Chile (and Argentina) in March and will be staying on Chiloe Island for a number of days. Our accommodation is about 7 km outside of Castro. I am wondering if Taxi's are reasonably priced and safe to get us from the main bus terminal to our accommodation. Our intention was not to rent a car, but explore the island by bus.
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Generally, yes. Taxis throughout Chile are metered and safe. You shouldn't have any trouble hailing a cab at the bus terminal and going out to your accommodation, although to get back into town of course you'll have to phone for pickup.

Uber also works, at least in Santiago, although there have been problems with violence against Uber drivers (NOT by the Uber drivers against riders) so the drivers in Santiago are getting skittish these days.

My personal opinion is that to best see Chiloe you should rent a car. There is bus service between the major towns but unless you have a lot of time it will be easier to see a lot of the more interesting sights if you have a car.
Old Feb 27, 18, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
My personal opinion is that to best see Chiloe you should rent a car. There is bus service between the major towns but unless you have a lot of time it will be easier to see a lot of the more interesting sights if you have a car.
1000% agreed. I can't imagine that you'll be anything but isolated 7km outside of Castro without a car. I would expect that there will be some buses and colectivos (they are taxi-looking things that run on fixed routes for a fixed fare, but you need to be familiar with where you are and where you're going) but you might also find yourself standing outside in the rain for long periods of time, not sure if/when you're going to get a ride, and when you get one, not quite sure where you're going.

I have no idea how expensive car rental is on the island (and not sure how you're getting there) but consider renting your car @ PMC and taking it on the ferry.
Old Feb 27, 18, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
1000% agreed. I can't imagine that you'll be anything but isolated 7km outside of Castro without a car. I would expect that there will be some buses and colectivos (they are taxi-looking things that run on fixed routes for a fixed fare, but you need to be familiar with where you are and where you're going) but you might also find yourself standing outside in the rain for long periods of time, not sure if/when you're going to get a ride, and when you get one, not quite sure where you're going.

I have no idea how expensive car rental is on the island (and not sure how you're getting there) but consider renting your car @ PMC and taking it on the ferry.
Agree. and don't miss Puerto Varas/lake district!
Old Mar 5, 18, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. We'll be renting a car in PMC.

Search this Thread