Reload this Page >

Mileage Run to BOG Question

Old Feb 13, 18, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck

Good morning all.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this is but I'm going to give it a shot (Mods: if it isn't, can you move it to the right one? Thank you!).

I'm doing a quick MR from USA to Bogota in May where I arrive in BOG at 21:50 and depart the following morning at 07:10. I don't plan on leaving the airport since I'm only there for a little more than 9 hours. I've read that BOG is a decent airport to sleep in and I have priority pass, so I should be able to access the lounge that opens at 2am.

I've got a few questions though about transiting through BOG:
  1. Do I have to clear immigration? My routing is USA-BOG-USA (same airports, probably the same plane).
  2. As a solo female traveler who is not checking any bags, what is the likelihood that I get flagged when I re-enter the US? I've got global entry.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 18, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA-PLT
Technically, you must go through immigration. Transit is only for people arriving from one country and departing to a third country. That said, nothing would stop you from following the signs for transiting passengers and getting back into int'l departures. The sticky point may be when you ask for your boarding pass. I suspect it is more likely than not that the airline will not issue your BP at the gate and will insist that you check in with an agent out front. I've never tried it, so I don't know for sure. Maybe somebody else knows better. Maybe you can get your BP at the originating airport or through the airlines app. If so, then you might be OK.

That said, I do recall a thread on here or one of the other FT forums several years ago by somebody complaining that they got their boarding pass electronically, did not stop at check in and then had problems at the gate. They may have even been required to go back out front. Unfortunately, it's been a while and I don't recall the details. I can say that American Airlines will give your your BP on line but specifically instructs that you must check in out front before going to the gate.

It's not a bad airport in which to sleep. I had to do it once. It's not great either. It would be much easier if you can do it from inside security, of course. If you do have to check out front in to get your BP would not be surprised if you cannot check in until 3 hours before your flight. Unless the airline has another flight going out earlier, their check in desk will not be staffed until then.

You should be aware that the airport can be very chilly at night. BOG is a t 8400' . Lows in the 40's are typical and the airport has no heat. I've flown out of there late at night a number of times and have learned to have a jacket or sweater with me.

Last edited by coolcoil; Feb 14, 18 at 4:45 pm

Search this Thread