Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Times in Chile Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My SCL arrival experiences haven't been particularly efficient over the past few years, and I've arrived at various hours of the day (from early AM to nighttime). The fewer arrivals, the fewer immigration booths manned, so the lines have generally been bad. And if the lines are particularly bad, your bag will have already been pulled from the belt before you get there, and then you have to go hunt it down.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:51 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I just did this. Landed from a U.S. United flight. Only have carry on luggage. Was able to use the connecting flights entrance went through security. No customs, no immigration. Took all of 5 minutes and boarded my SKY flight to MDZ without issue. I think the carry on luggage made all the difference.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Lim (la)-scl (h2)-eze

Originally Posted by skyccord
I just did this. Landed from a U.S. United flight. Only have carry on luggage. Was able to use the connecting flights entrance went through security. No customs, no immigration. Took all of 5 minutes and boarded my SKY flight to MDZ without issue. I think the carry on luggage made all the difference.
Any more recent experiences? I will arrive SCL around 6pm Sunday via LATAM (from LIM), with onward connection to EZE on H2 (Sky). Left myself with a 3 hour connection. No checked bags. Sounds easy. Am I right?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:06 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Hoping to glean some wisdom from an old thread, as Chile is reopening soon!

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
The arrival time is during the morning crush at immigration, bag pickup and customs which could be heavy or could be more normal depending... 1.5 hours is way too short, unless you can afford to potentially lose the domestic flight (fail to get rebooked after missing bag check cutoff time and the flight itself and begging for leniency) and pony up for perhaps next day's near last minute counter fare, plan to stay in Santiago for the day. [...]
What's a safe amount of time to leave between expected arrival and scheduled departure for intl-to-domestic, assuming just carry-on and you already have a boarding pass for the onwards domestic? I figure it may take longer during Covid with the expected testing for inbound-intl passengers.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My SCL arrival experiences haven't been particularly efficient over the past few years, and I've arrived at various hours of the day (from early AM to nighttime). The fewer arrivals, the fewer immigration booths manned, so the lines have generally been bad. And if the lines are particularly bad, your bag will have already been pulled from the belt before you get there, and then you have to go hunt it down.
Sounds like immigration queues are always long, because they scale border staffing based on volume of arrivals? How long did immigration usually take [pre pandemic]?

Originally Posted by ft1984
Ah ok, so SCL has sterile intl-to-intl transit?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
What's a safe amount of time to leave between expected arrival and scheduled departure for intl-to-domestic, assuming just carry-on and you already have a boarding pass for the onwards domestic? I figure it may take longer during Covid with the expected testing for inbound-intl passengers.
When is your flight? Remember, you will not be flying out immediately for the domestic segment until your on-arrival negative PCR test is in the system and the 5 day mandatory quarantine (arrivals through October 31) or quarantine until negative results (arrivals after October 31).

Ah ok, so SCL has sterile intl-to-intl transit?
Yes, but it depends on interlining of luggage (may not happen with separate tickets) and having your boarding passes to show at transit security.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 1:24 pm

When is your flight? Remember, you will not be flying out immediately for the domestic segment until your on-arrival negative PCR test is in the system and the 5 day mandatory quarantine (arrivals through October 31) or quarantine until negative results (arrivals after October 31). [...]
End of the year. In fact, trying to decide how soon after intl arrival is safe to schedule an onwards domestic connection. (I suppose I'll have to see what the reports of queue times are like.)
Old Oct 20, 2021, 6:08 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
For an international to domestic connection I am scheduling 70 hours considering that my paso de movilidad has to be validated upon arrival by a negative PCR test. I am aware that I may not be able to move out of my hotel room for the first day or so. Better safe than sorry.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by behuman
For an international to domestic connection I am scheduling 70 hours considering that my paso de movilidad has to be validated upon arrival by a negative PCR test. I am aware that I may not be able to move out of my hotel room for the first day or so. Better safe than sorry.
Oh, goodness. I was hoping for just half a day. I rather underestimated how complicated the Paso de Movilidad validation and PCR confirmation could be.

Hopefully there will be some reports after November 1st of how long this whole process takes.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Oh, goodness. I was hoping for just half a day. I rather underestimated how complicated the Paso de Movilidad validation and PCR confirmation could be.

Hopefully there will be some reports after November 1st of how long this whole process takes.
I always allow a lot of time for bureaucracy in South America and it makes for a more relaxing trip. There is the 4 hours PCR test option at a hotel near the airport in SCL https://get.genosur.com/en-us/pcr_en...SAAEgLlYPD_BwE , but I wonder if one is allowed to choose. But as a minimum I would allow 24 hours.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:32 am

Unhappy bad omen

Could this statement delaying aready announced opening of land borders https://immichile.cl/chile-posterga-...os-terrestres/ be a bad omen of what will come these next days. Suppression of test, wait and go and quarantine again ?

I hope being wrong ! The Antarctic cruise business being huge and Punta Arenas competing with Ushuaia could be the hope.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Could this statement delaying aready announced opening of land borders https://immichile.cl/chile-posterga-...os-terrestres/ be a bad omen of what will come these next days. Suppression of test, wait and go and quarantine again ?

I hope being wrong ! The Antarctic cruise business being huge and Punta Arenas competing with Ushuaia could be the hope.
Chile is taking the Omicron much much more seriously than other countries. This does not bode well for tourism in the near future. If any one of your party tests positive, it is straight to isolation for no-symptom close contacts or the government directed hotel if positive or showing symptoms for as long as they decide.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:20 am

Chile is taking the Omicron much much more seriously than other countries. This does not bode well for tourism in the near future. If any one of your party tests positive, it is straight to isolation for no-symptom close contacts or the government directed hotel if positive or showing symptoms for as long as they decide.
If it can delay the unavoidable Tsunami until enough people are boosterd so be it. At least it is free * - including 4 meals, WIFI, cable TV and change of all linens each second day. Experiences anybody ?

I hope NOT to report back on this. Happy 2022 and thank you for your always important insight Viajero Perpetuo.

* elsewhere it is a huge financial risk if they put you to hospital without symptoms and you can not trust their integrity (no country named here)
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If it can delay the unavoidable Tsunami until enough people are boosterd so be it. At least it is free * - including 4 meals, WIFI, cable TV and change of all linens each second day. Experiences anybody ?

I hope NOT to report back on this. Happy 2022 and thank you for your always important insight Viajero Perpetuo.

* elsewhere it is a huge financial risk if they put you to hospital without symptoms and you can not trust their integrity (no country named here)
My only experience is about 24 hours hotel quarantine as results came back during the night for an 8 am test. Every tourist entering has US$30k medical insurance, minimum.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 11:08 pm

Hi everyone, Re-upping this thread to ask for advice. My final destination is Buenos Aires but the only flights I have booked right now are LATAM business from JFK, arriving in SCL at 7AM. I used Alaska miles and this was the only availability. I am planning on booking a paid economy ticket for the SCL-EZE/AEP segment.

There are several options and I am wondering:

1. How much time should I allow at SCL?
2. Should I stick with LATAM flights because of the higher likelihood of getting my checked bag tagged through?
3. Will I have to pick up my checked bag to go through customs anyway? And if so, should I just book another carrier (with plenty of time)?

Any advice would be appreciated. This is for early November if that makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.