Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Hotel Tax - Colombia

Hotel Tax - Colombia

Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hotel Tax - Colombia

Anyone know the rules regarding who has to pay the tax that hotels try to impose at checkout? I keep hearing mixed information.

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
If you're 1) a foreigner with 2) a correct type of entry stamp in your passport and 3) are within the stay limits (90 days ?) then at check-in the hotel should foto-copy the stamp-page from your passport and _not_ charge you the tax. That has been my experience in the past.
Now some _will_ use some a very disadvantageous (unpublished) conversion rate from USD into COP per night, and then offer to charge you in USD using another disadvantageous rate...
kapooncha likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jupper
If you're 1) a foreigner with 2) a correct type of entry stamp in your passport and 3) are within the stay limits (90 days ?) then at check-in the hotel should foto-copy the stamp-page from your passport and _not_ charge you the tax. That has been my experience in the past.
Now some _will_ use some a very disadvantageous (unpublished) conversion rate from USD into COP per night, and then offer to charge you in USD using another disadvantageous rate...
Do I need to request that entry stamp when arriving at immigration in Bogota? I feel like I didn't get it last time even though I should have.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Do I need to request that entry stamp when arriving at immigration in Bogota? I feel like I didn't get it last time even though I should have.
You get an entry stamp every time you enter Colombia, whether you're a tourist, foreign resident or citizen.

In the case of tourists, that is also your visa. That is the stamp that you need to show the hotel.

Note: if anybody in the room is not a tourist, whether they are a foreign resident on a residential visa or a Colombian citizen, then the tax must be paid. Therefore, if you have multiple people in the room, all need to show their tourist entry stamp.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
How do you manage this for prepaid hotel rooms? It appears that almost without exception the 19% tax (or VAT or whatever it is) is added when making reservations online and I expect it to be hard to get it back once you have paid, in particular if the hotel bookings are made with an OTA like Expedia, Booking.xxx etc. The only solution is to reserve a room to be paid to the hotel upon arrival and then fight it out at check-in?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by SK AAR
How do you manage this for prepaid hotel rooms? It appears that almost without exception the 19% tax (or VAT or whatever it is) is added when making reservations online and I expect it to be hard to get it back once you have paid, in particular if the hotel bookings are made with an OTA like Expedia, Booking.xxx etc. The only solution is to reserve a room to be paid to the hotel upon arrival and then fight it out at check-in?
I think it depends on how it was booked, and how flexible each hotel is.

I have booked through chain websites, where the VAT was or wasn't witheld. Some hotels considered the non-VAT-withheld payment for the room, others converted what was with-VAT paid and used that to offset costs, I usually had some extra charges from room-service etc.

I have _not_ booked these through OTA's, and those might _not_ be very transparant towards the hotels, thus making it much more difficult...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I just returned from CO.

Data points. I avoided OTA and booked directly with the hotels. They either didn't charge my credit card in advance (although it was prepaid and non-refundable reservation) or only charged the rate without VAT (even though the reservation clearly included VAT) subject to showing passport with an entry stamp from the CO immigration which allows you to be exempt from Colombian VAT. I didn't pay any VAT for the hotel expenses ^
jupper likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.