Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile global roaming in Argentina, Uruguay, Columbia

T-Mobile global roaming in Argentina, Uruguay, Columbia

Old Jan 10, 18, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond
T-Mobile global roaming in Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia

Just came back from South America for the holidays. T-Mobile One plans include unlimited international coverage at up to 2G speed. I thought I'd post here my experience at the various cities so others could plan for their trips accordingly.

Not having to visit a local shop for SIM cards or worrying about topping up plans was invaluable to me. I did have to restart my phone more times than I'd like to to get my phone to register on the network. But overall, I was pretty impressed with T-Mobile, I'd say. For the record, I was mostly using the app for Uber, Google Map, WhatsApp, quick email checking, and some light web browsing. If you are hoping to be able to do video / audio streaming, you will be disappointed.

* Bogota, Colombia - way faster than the 2G speed T-Mobile advertised. Not a problem for me here
* Buenos Aires, Mar del Plata & Rosario, Argentina - closer to 2G speed. Had to reboot phone quite a few times during my visit
* Montevideo, Uruguay - Roaming did not work here for me at all. My phone would register on the network (shows Claro Uruguay) but I couldn't connect to any internet. Montevideo is a small city so with some planning, it's doable to visit the city for a short stay with no phone data. I relied on hotel / restaurant / coffee shop wifi. Would have liked my data to work on my phone but oh well, I made the best out of what I could manage

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by happychic; Jan 17, 18 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 11, 18, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, .6K MM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Last year I was in Panama, Colombia, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile (plus all over Europe and India) and T-Mobile worked perfectly. It is very cool that I can turn my phone on and I'm online.

Btw, it's ColOmbia, NOT ColUmbia
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:31 am

Programs: CO/UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Au, Hilton Ag, IHG Pt
Originally Posted by happychic View Post
Bogota, Columbia - way faster than the 2G speed T-Mobile advertised. Not a problem for me here
It's a bit hit or miss depending on what roaming agreements T-Mobile has active in Colombia, there are a lot of dead-spots.

Originally Posted by happychic View Post
Montevideo, Uruguay - Roaming did not work here for me at all.
Interestingly enough, T-Mobile NL and other European countries also don't get data roaming in Uruguay. One of the reasons I switched to Avoidafone, good worldwide roaming (at a cost).
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Oh, my. What a faux pas I've committed. Thanks for pointing out my typo FlyingIsCool.
Old Jan 18, 18, 12:19 pm

You sometimes manually have to switch the carrier for it to work. Movistar in Uruguay works fairly well.
Old Jan 18, 18, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
You sometimes manually have to switch the carrier for it to work. Movistar in Uruguay works fairly well.
I had tried to do that. However, my Pixel 2 phone would freeze every time I tried to manually switch the carrier.