Wiki Posts
Search

Quito altitude questions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Quito altitude questions?

How much time should be allowed to acclimate to the high altitude? Possibility of altitude sickness?

Asking because years ago in Mexico City I tended to experience shortness of breath.

Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:37 am

Difficult to answer because its a VERY individual thing....(and doesn't always equate neatly to health/age/fitness) . Given the shortness of breath you experienced in Mexico City (7200 ft) then Quito at 9000 might be a problem.... the usual advice applies I suppose... stay hydrated, don't exert yourself, some recommend increasing your carbohydrate intake... and take aspirin if that's not a problem for you........shouldn't take more than a day or two to reach a reasonable level of acclimatisation....
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I haven't heard the take aspirin idea. Still not sure if I will be going, but this will help if I do.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:42 pm

Dont eat too much at any one time.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA/AA
A couple of thoughts:
If breathing is an issue, pick up a Albuterol inhaler. It's a prescription drug in the USA, but you can get it over the counter in Quito.
It will be marketed in Ecuador as either Salbuterol or Ventolin.

You might also pick up some Zolpidem (5 or 10 mg) if insomnia is an issue. It's sold over the counter in Ecuador.
Zolpidem is marketed as Ambien is the USA.

If you can get some coca leaves to chew once you get to Quito, do so. It's sold most everywhere, but most typically in small neighborhood markets. Coca leaves are truly a miracle cure for altitude symptoms.

Finally, get a prescription for Diamox before you go. It works well, but takes two-three days to kick in.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:02 am

The coca tea helps too
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for more helpful info. I was kind of surprised that I could not find an existing thread about this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Thanks again for more helpful info. I was kind of surprised that I could not find an existing thread about this.
I'd also avoid alcohol. I recall on a ski trip getting the most intense headache I've ever experienced, and that was after just *one* drink. And, no, that wasn't a 16oz martini or the like, lol.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by jaymar01
A couple of thoughts:

If you can get some coca leaves to chew once you get to Quito, do so. It's sold most everywhere, but most typically in small neighborhood markets. Coca leaves are truly a miracle cure for altitude symptoms.

Finally, get a prescription for Diamox before you go. It works well, but takes two-three days to kick in.
If you use the coca leaves be sure you do not try to bring any home with you. While legal in Ecuador - possession of the leaves, even miniscule amounts, in most other countries causes big problems.....

With the Diamox (generic name is Acetazolamide) be sure to start taking it a 24 to 36 hours before getting to your destination. Of course, talk to your doctor about using it because it is not indicated for people with kidney or liver conditions and certain allergies, among other things.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:37 pm

I would consult my Dr as somethings are safe to take for some people.
yes Caco is used by most there I could not take it because of my asthma but had no problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.