Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Dining [recommendations in Colombia]

good places to eat in Colombia ?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ovilla96
You might get better luck if you included specific cities. It's a country with 49 million people and the 25th largest area in the world.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Well the op never responded but I will jump in...any suggestions for Cartegena? We should have club access ait the Hyatt, but want Donwant to try a few restaurants. It doesn't have to be 'fancy' ,,, my roommate is a foodie-- open to different things. ?? By any chance are there any venues for music and/ or dance that would be good to see??? Thank you!!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:40 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by retirementdreams
Well the op never responded but I will jump in...any suggestions for Cartegena? We should have club access ait the Hyatt, but want Donwant to try a few restaurants. It doesn't have to be 'fancy' ,,, my roommate is a foodie-- open to different things. ?? By any chance are there any venues for music and/ or dance that would be good to see??? Thank you!!
Cartagena's restaurant scene is very dynamic. As a general rule the most "creative" restaurants are around the San Diego district, there are a couple of plazas full of restaurants. You are right next door to the Sofitel there so the district has more than its fair share of people that are happy to splurge on food.

For music, and to go off the beaten path a bit, go to Calle Media Luna in Getsemaní and check out Tasca María. 9 times out of 10 they will have live champeta which is costeńa music and there's a great buzz there on live music nights. It's not fancy at all, think ice cold beers for max $2. The place is tiny so bank on having to stand with the crowds in the fresh air. My experience of this place over the years is that it was cooler before the area became full of backpackers. Nothing against backpackers but Cartagena seems to attract the mouthiest, jerkiest ones. Tasca María is directly opposite a hostal.

If you want to make a night of it then worth popping into a restaurant down there too. Balcones (if I remember the name correctly, I cannot find it on Google Maps) is a barely refurbished building that does great pizzas. There was a decent seafood place there last time I went (cannot remember the name of it) and Café Havana is there, that's the bar that Hilary Clinton famously went to when she was Sec. of State and the Secret Service found itself in a prostitution scandal. Follow your nose basically if you want eats in Media Luna, you are bound to stumble across something.
jupper likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by Ovilla96
In Bogota just head to Zona G or ask your hotel. All depends on your taste in the end.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jupper
In Bogota just head to Zona G or ask your hotel. All depends on your taste in the end.
That's a nice suggestion in a broad sweeping sense but I live near the Zona G and it's really very hit and miss

Bourbon: Looks enticing and cosy, ambience OK, food and drinks really suck. Cocktails suck monumentally, service is nothing to sing about either
Monsieur CuCu: Cocktails are stunning, service is excellent, decor is lovely, food is quirky and delicious but it lacks ambience sometimes
Masa, Bagatelle: Yeah move along, these are just crap bakeries with sucky service
Árbol del Pan: There you go, that's a better bakery with good coffee and good service.
Bar de Tapas: It's an unimaginatively named tapas bar, food great, nice wines, always empty and dead in there
Castanyoles: Well the service is good, it has to be, its in the Four Seasons, the menu is solid but not massively inspiring
GiGi's: Oh dear, just no
Armadillo: Great food if you have 3 hours spare to eat it
Cantina y Punto: Lovely ambience, overpriced Mexican streetfood, drinks completely hit and miss, this place has the dubious accolade of making the best margarita in Bogotá and also the worst margarita in Bogotá. You never know what it's going to be
Gordo: Great ambience, great drinks, food looks solid. But it's a Brooklyn theme bar, you might as well stay in the USA.
Le Table de Michel: Travel back in time to a 1970's dinner party (actually I like to do that)
Oliveto: So what? Anyone can boil up some pasta
Julia: Wonderful stone baked pizzas, good drink options including nice house wines. Great service
Vitto: Hello, hello, ermmm, hi can I get a drink? Can I get... hi, anyone serving? No? OK bye then.
Rafael: I am sensitive about people tinkering with Peruvian staples, especially when they add in bad attitude and incompetent management.

I could go on with my pissy critique of Zona G restaurants but the point being its inconsistent in the Zona G. Maybe I live in the wrong neighbourhood because Estancia Chica, La Diva, Sushigozen, Apache Bar and Black Bear are all places that I love and all near Parque 93

For anyone reading this that is coming to Bogotá alone. Definitely head straight for Black Bear. Excellent service, cool decor, slick ambience, creative food combinations that actually work, twists on classic cocktails that are delicious, friendly and unpretentious crowd and a bar that you can sit at without feeling lonely. You might even make some friends there. For me it wipes the floor with anything in the Zona G
jupper likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:38 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
This thread is suddenly coming to life!

I will be in Bogotá for 3 days before joining an organized tour of Colombia. I’ll be staying at the NH Hotel Bogotá Andino Royal and as a solo female traveller with very basic Spanish I am looking for nearby restaurants where I can feel safe and not out of place in the evening. I was going to stay at the Embassy Suites but a friend has persuaded me the NH Andino Royal is in a better location. I hope he is right.

At the end of a 12 day tour I’m spending an extra day/night at Hotel Quadrifolio in Cartagena (following recommendations in this forum ). The hotel’s website mentions a restaurant which is “exclusively for our guests”. Has anybody eaten there and is it worth it assuming the restaurant price matches the hotel price.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
This thread is suddenly coming to life!

I will be in Bogotá for 3 days before joining an organized tour of Colombia. I’ll be staying at the NH Hotel Bogotá Andino Royal and as a solo female traveller with very basic Spanish I am looking for nearby restaurants where I can feel safe and not out of place in the evening. I was going to stay at the Embassy Suites but a friend has persuaded me the NH Andino Royal is in a better location. I hope he is right.
Hi NewbieRunner, You expertly and graciously showed me around Shinjuku, so in Bogotá you are not a solo female traveller, you get to hang out with me. At least a little bit, I insist.

NH Andino Royal and Embassy Suites are both great locations. the NH is stuck on the end of Retiro Mall and opposite Andino Mall. The top floor of Andino Mall has some nice looking restaurants rather than just being a food court (It's a food court too) Things seem to come and go somewhat quickly, I went to a new place called Cossette last week, whether or not it will still be there when you come is anyone's guess.

Also on top of NH Andino Royal is Andres Carne de Res DC, I despise that place and urge you to not do the touristy thing and go there. There is a passage next to Andino Mall which is home to a place called Il Pomeriggio. Does a nice slice of cake and good coffee on the patio. It's where wealthy shoppers hang out to take a break from spending.

I cannot think of anywhere near Andino that I would go out of my way to visit, La Cabrera bar in the Zona T is probably the nicest place that's within 5 mins of your hotel. However there are some interesting places emerging on Carrera 9 2 blocks to the east.

La Milagrosa: a tiny bar with craft beers
Ugly American: An upmarket American theme place with a long bar and chunky whisky tumblers. I frequently pop in there.
San Giorgio: A nice Italian place, I tend to not eat Italian food but it has great ice cream
Spig: A place that only seems to sell bacon. As I say, things pop up and vanish again and I have not been to Spig yet, it only opened last month
Relais de l'entrecote: A massive new place that appears to sell steaks, it only opened Monday, I definitely have not been yet
El Bandido: That's another 2 blocks away and a stellar bistro with live music, great food and a good crowd

NH Andino Royal is only 15 mins walking from Black Bear that I mentioned in my previous post, it's worth the walk.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
At the end of a 12 day tour I’m spending an extra day/night at Hotel Quadrifolio in Cartagena (following recommendations in this forum ). The hotel’s website mentions a restaurant which is “exclusively for our guests”. Has anybody eaten there and is it worth it assuming the restaurant price matches the hotel price.
Quadrifolio is spectacular hotel and worth the money that you will have splurged on this. I have not had dinner there but I imagine it lacks ambience a bit. Quadrifolio is like having your own beautiful house with staff, I'd guess that eating there is special if you are a couple but might be dull if you are on your own. Worth the walk to San Diego for al fresco eats I'd say. Quadrifolio is in a street which unusually has nothing else in it, it's quiet, no eats and drinks to be found. The hotel is opposite some sort of maritime union and there was a strike on last time I was there, were it not for the striking workers the street would have been dead.
jupper likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:21 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thanks for the detailed reply. It would be great to have company in Bogotá and to catch up with you. I'll send you a PM with details.

Shopping mall/food court eateries are good for casual meals for solo travellers but some of the places you mention sound very promising. I do love bacon.

I've looked at Google Street View and the area around Quadrifolio does look a little quiet. Probably not a bad thing in a busy, touristy town. Friends who were there at Christmas were not very impressed because there were far too many tourists!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:15 pm

I Got your PM, tried to reply but it’s neither saved nor sent so I’ll do that later

Christmas in Cartagena is definitely crazy, especially in the main plazas. Your visit will be quieter whether you are in Quadrifolio or not
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
That's a nice suggestion in a broad sweeping sense but I live near the Zona G and it's really very hit and miss
Yes, I've had recommendations from others, but my Spanish is limited and thus I rely on them...
(and United is the one delaying my arrival with their amateur scheduling of AMS-IAH today)

Árbol del Pan: There you go, that's a better bakery with good coffee and good service.
Gordo: Great ambience, great drinks, food looks solid. But it's a Brooklyn theme bar, you might as well stay in the USA.
Le Table de Michel: Travel back in time to a 1970's dinner party (actually I like to do that)
Julia: Wonderful stone baked pizzas, good drink options including nice house wines. Great service
I think I'll put those on my list for the next few weeks.

I could go on with my pissy critique of Zona G restaurants but the point being its inconsistent in the Zona G. Maybe I live in the wrong neighbourhood because Estancia Chica, La Diva, Sushigozen, Apache Bar and Black Bear are all places that I love and all near Parque 93
Is Julia the pizza place near Parque 93 ? I once had amazing pizzas in a really cool place on a corner near Parque 93...

For anyone reading this that is coming to Bogotá alone. Definitely head straight for Black Bear. Excellent service, cool decor, slick ambience, creative food combinations that actually work, twists on classic cocktails that are delicious, friendly and unpretentious crowd and a bar that you can sit at without feeling lonely. You might even make some friends there. For me it wipes the floor with anything in the Zona G
OK, thanks !
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:36 am

I think I'll put those on my list for the next few weeks.
If you are indeed in the Zona G then you will not go to far wrong with this places, but look at what you are left with. Standard international offerings, but at least you have a nice ambience. I live behind Gordo and Árbol del Pan so give me a shout if you are going

Is Julia the pizza place near Parque 93 ? I once had amazing pizzas in a really cool place on a corner near Parque 93...
No, there are three branches of Julia. One on Carrera 5 in the thick of the Zona G. One a block towards the cerros in Carrera 4 next to Nico's, and one on Calle 85. The Italian place on a corner near Park 93 is probably La Fabbrica, nothing wrong with that place at all. A solid proposition for anyone near Parque 93 wanting Italian food. La Diva is cuter and one block away but La Fabbrica has nice food. Wok is also a good option for solo travellers in Parque 93. It has communal kitchen style seating and a gigantic menu. It's a chain but consistently good food and service. Recommend the jasmine tea

OK, thanks !
You are welcome. I seem to have moved into Black Bear this year, I am the guy at the bar that looks like he is on his way back from a long walk. See you there.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
HI,
I'll be with my wife in BOG at the begining of FEB. ,for 3 days,staying at the Sheraton (Calle 25 B No 69 C-80).
Any recommendation for restaurants near the hotel (walking distance) .
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by yulmichael
HI,
I'll be with my wife in BOG at the begining of FEB. ,for 3 days,staying at the Sheraton (Calle 25 B No 69 C-80).
Any recommendation for restaurants near the hotel (walking distance) .
Thanks
You can "go Colombian" https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ia-Bogota.html

3 minute walk

Marriott restaurants are also good, as is the Bar.

That block with the Marriott also has other options, worth having a walk around it to see if you see anything else you fancy
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
You can "go Colombian" https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ia-Bogota.html

3 minute walk

https://www.google.com.co/maps/dir/S...d4.6594021!3e2

Marriott restaurants are also good, as is the Bar.

That block with the Marriott also has other options, worth having a walk around it to see if you see anything else you fancy
Thank you Johnny very much for the info.
Michael

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.