Reload this Page >

SCL inter-airline transfer questions

Old Nov 27, 17, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hi FTers -

This evening I'm flying MDZ-SCL-IAH with a large group (took the wife and kids on an Argentina vacation with some friends). We are booked on the Chilean low-cost carrier Sky Airlines from MDZ-SCL, and then after a 3-hour layover we pick up UA to get back to the States. (Looks like we have one of the new Polaris 767s - whoohoo!)

A few questions for the FT hive mind:
  • Is it even possible to check bags through, and if it's possible, is it a good idea? Anyone have experience with inter-airline baggage transfer from Sky to UA in SCL?
  • What is the international terminal in SCL like? Will we need to go thru immigration and then back in thru security? Or can we transit without going thru immigration?
  • I presume if we checked bags only to SCL we would have to go thru immigration to pick them up, yes?
Any wisdom or experience greatly appreciated!

DJD
Old Nov 27, 17, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sky Airline (H2) does not have an interline agreement with UA so bags cannot be checked through. You'll need to clear immigration and customs in SCL then re-check everything with UA.

Good luck.
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by djdevvydev View Post
[*]Is it even possible to check bags through, and if it's possible, is it a good idea? Anyone have experience with inter-airline baggage transfer from Sky to UA in SCL?
No, so no and no.

[*]What is the international terminal in SCL like? Will we need to go thru immigration and then back in thru security? Or can we transit without going thru immigration?
2 years ago when I did the same transit it was a bit of a CF. UA couldn't be bothered to throw even a contractor at the transit desk or anywhere airside prior to checkin cutoff. But with your baggage situation you'll be going through immigration, bag reclaim, checkin, security, and immigration again.

[*]I presume if we checked bags only to SCL we would have to go thru immigration to pick them up, yes?
Yes, you'll be doing that.
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Yikes. Thanks. Any idea if we have to pay the $140 reciprocity fee when we arrive from MDZ? Is that for US Citizens or just US arrivals?
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is that for US Citizens or just US arrivals?
Neither. It disappeared a couple years ago, right when UA launched the route.

But if it existed you'd all be paying it as you're entering Chile.
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you sbm12 & mduell! EXTREMELY helpful info for us and our gaggle of children!
Old Nov 27, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Thank you sbm12 & mduell! EXTREMELY helpful info for us and our gaggle of children!
The only concern I would add is that immigration. Every time I go there, the lines are long and move very slowly. While the actual process of talking to an agent is short, with a larger family I would want some extra time.
Old Nov 27, 17, 10:12 am

...after a 3-hour layover we pick up UA to get back to the States....
SCL is the best "large" airport in South America (IMHO). 3 hours is more than enough to clear, and re-check.

Hopefully your Mendoza-Santiago flight is during daylight hours - the view is amazing.
Old Nov 27, 17, 4:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
As the question's are not UA related and are mostly about SCL and H2/Sky Airways, will move this FT's South America forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Thanks for posting this question, looking at doing something similar.

Stupid question: do H2 international flights depart from the international terminal at SCL, or are all their ops concentrated at the domestic terminal?
Old Apr 9, 18, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
Thanks for posting this question, looking at doing something similar.

Stupid question: do H2 international flights depart from the international terminal at SCL, or are all their ops concentrated at the domestic terminal?
All international flights leave from the international side, as you must go through exit formalities.
Old Apr 9, 18, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
All international flights leave from the international side, as you must go through exit formalities.
That's what I thought; thanks for confirming.

Search this Thread