FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   SCL Car rental y toll questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/1878632-scl-car-rental-y-toll-questions.html)

Eastbay1K Nov 20, 2017 10:18 pm

SCL Car rental y toll questions

It has been some time since I've rented @ SCL. First, are the rental facilities still in the parking lot, or has construction caused them to move? More importantly, what is the situation with the Sistema Tag when I won't really be driving in Santiago? (Hertz, if that matters) The only urban toll would be leaving the airport. Last time I drove Ruta 68, the tag system didn't function. I think it does now, but will it work with whatever Hertz provides (and if so, it is daily toll charge, or special extras for inter-urban highways)?

Mahalo

Siempre Viajando Nov 23, 2017 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 29083852)
It has been some time since I've rented @ SCL. First, are the rental facilities still in the parking lot, or has construction caused them to move? More importantly, what is the situation with the Sistema Tag when I won't really be driving in Santiago? (Hertz, if that matters) The only urban toll would be leaving the airport. Last time I drove Ruta 68, the tag system didn't function. I think it does now, but will it work with whatever Hertz provides (and if so, it is daily toll charge, or special extras for inter-urban highways)?

Mahalo

I haven't driven Rte 68 since over two years ago, but recently when I drove on Rte 5 in the Atacama region, the Tag system is not active and you just pay cash, like always. I doubt they will have put the Tag on Rte 68 since that would force everyone in Valparaíso to get a Tag just to get to the airport. In any event, even if it is not Tag-ready, surely you could still pay cash---they won't have eliminated the toll booths.

Eastbay1K Nov 25, 2017 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando (Post 29092365)
I haven't driven Rte 68 since over two years ago, but recently when I drove on Rte 5 in the Atacama region, the Tag system is not active and you just pay cash, like always. I doubt they will have put the Tag on Rte 68 since that would force everyone in Valparaíso to get a Tag just to get to the airport. In any event, even if it is not Tag-ready, surely you could still pay cash---they won't have eliminated the toll booths.

http://www.tag.cl/index.php?option=c...=16&Itemid=101

I didn't read through the entire thing, but I wonder if the rental agencies subscribe for 68 with their Tags or not.

Ilove2fly Jan 16, 2019 7:27 am

Renting cars soon in Chile. Will be driving on Rte 68 and between Puerto Natales and Torres de Paine. Do Chilean toll system still accept cash?

timol Feb 1, 2019 4:36 pm

The rental car facilities are still in the parking lot area.

The tag system with Hertz works fine on Rte 68. Every toll station seemed to have a “manual” lane for cash payments.

That was the good news. The not quite so good news are the flat tyre tricksters around SCL:

• just before entering Rte 68, at a narrow curve, the car in front of us stops for a few seconds, for a young chap to get his “forgotten” bag from the trunk. Your attention goes to the events in front of you and it is unlikely to notice what happens behind
  • a couple of minutes later on Rte 68, a strange sound from rear right. Take next exit to chech what is wrong. Fortunately, a bus stop not far away provides a good opportunity to stop. Another car also had stopped there.
  • Right rear tyre flat. A chap from the already stopped car walks past and asks if we need assistance in calling for help
  • Sniffing trouble, I say “no, I have my (Hertz) phone numbers to calll”. However, for each Hertz number on the contract, an automated voice probably says “number does not exist”. Now what do I do in 33C with a flat tyre and without Spanish skills?
  • Miraculously another guy with quite good English appears and starts to search the tools for changing the tyre. The biggest benefit of this is that I would have never known to locate some of tools from under the driver’s seat. The first guy still hangs around, dealing with the “warning triangles” etc.
  • Both guys make subtle attempts to make my wife active in various activities, but she is careful and stays next to the car, watching for our belongings
  • somehow, as I feel relatively comfortable operating the lever and my wife has her hawk’s eye on our belongings, the English speaker says he needs to leave and the rest of the work is for us
  • only at that moment it dawned to me how the quick stop on entering Rte 68 had been orchestrated to allow someone from the car behind us to use a kife to damage our tyre
  • later at Hertz, we learn that the phone numbers printed on their contract sheet are no longer valid, due do some arrangement changes :( :(
  • summary: thanks to my wife’s attention, we only lost a couple of hours but nothing else. The car had (contrary to my usual habits) a full coverage. Once the awkwardly located tools had been found, I quickly recovered my tyre changing skills not used since the 1980s. We are now much wiser to face the next tricksters :)

Canarsie Jun 17, 2019 4:51 pm

I am renting a car in Chile myself; and I do plan on driving north and east outside of Santiago.

What do I need to know about paying tolls — as well as what I should expect the rental car company to charge me pertaining to tolls?

I currently have a reservation with Avis — but I am thinking of instead renting a car from either Econorent or Chilean, which have lower rates.

Avis includes a Road Toll Fee of 6,200 Chilean pesos per day; but the other two companies do not include that fee in their rates.

Thank you in advance.

Siempre Viajando Jun 18, 2019 5:50 am

WIthin the Santiago metropolitan area main highways including the Costanera Norte, the Vespucio ring road and the road connecting the airport terminal with Vespucio, use an electronic toll system. Your car should be equipped with a transponder known locally as a "TAG" (this is probably what the "Road Toll Fee" is for); if you don't have a TAG, you'll be charged on the basis of your license plate and I'm guessing there is a hefty surcharge for that privilege.

Outside of Santiago, on the Pan-American Highway (aka Route 5) and on the main highway to Viña del Mar and Valparaíso, there are toll booths. Take Chilean currency, you cannot pay with US$ or any other currency, and I don't think they accept credit cards.

Canarsie Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando (Post 31214202)
WIthin the Santiago metropolitan area main highways including the Costanera Norte, the Vespucio ring road and the road connecting the airport terminal with Vespucio, use an electronic toll system. Your car should be equipped with a transponder known locally as a "TAG" (this is probably what the "Road Toll Fee" is for); if you don't have a TAG, you'll be charged on the basis of your license plate and I'm guessing there is a hefty surcharge for that privilege.

Outside of Santiago, on the Pan-American Highway (aka Route 5) and on the main highway to Viña del Mar and Valparaíso, there are toll booths. Take Chilean currency, you cannot pay with US$ or any other currency, and I don't think they accept credit cards.

Thank you, Siempre Viajando.