Wiki Posts
Search

Easter Island / Isla de Pascua connection

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Easter Island / Isla de Pascua connection

Hi !
I have to book 2 separates tickets because I want to book flights with miles.

I will be arriving from Papeete to Isla de Pascua 04/09/18 at 13.25h and I will be leaving Isla de Pascua the same day at 15.25h to Buenos Aires.

I have to take my luggage and check in at Isla de Pascua again for the second flight.

My question: is 2h enough time to get off the plane, clear customs, take my luggage and check in? I have never been to Isla de Pascua so I don't know the airport and times needed.

Thank you!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The airport at Hanga Roa (IPC) on Rapa Nui (Easter Island) is extremely small. I have travelled to many places, but this was one of the smallest I have seen. Even the Walvis Bay Airport in Namibia was bigger. It had more flights. When I flew Santiago (SCL) to IPC, I was able to collect my bags and get out of the airport within 30 minutes or less, after landing.

There is only 1 or at most 2 LATAM flight a day from SCL to IPC, and back. I believe on Mondays there is a SCL to IPC to PPT (Papeete) flight, which returns Tuesday From PPT to IPC to SCL. There are no direct flights from Easter Island to Buenos Aires. So when you say you are on two different tickets, I am sure that one ticket is PPT to SCL, and the other ticket is from SCL to one of the two airports in Buenos Aires (AEP or EZE). LATAM flies to both airports in BA.

If you are on LATAM 836, which has a 2 hour layover in IPC, you probably will just get off the plane and be in a transit area before you board the same plane. If your two tickets are actually PPT to IPC and a separate one from IPC to Buenos Aires (AEP or EZE) with a connection in SCL, then you might have to clear immigration and customs in Hanga Roa (IPC). But even then I am sure you will have enough time.

The sad part about this is that you are only spending 2 hours on Rapa Nui (Easter Island). It is such a “once in a life time” destination that you should at least try to spend 24 hours there. 1 day is definitely enough to go see the main sights on the island.
nicolasz1986 likes this.

Last edited by sooge_sj; Nov 17, 2017 at 1:22 am
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply !

Indeed I will be on LATAM 836 from PPT to IPC (one of my tickets) and then on the same flight from IPC to BUE with a connection in SCL (my other ticket). Then I have to make it on time in the 2 hour layover to clear immigration and customs, and check in again.
To be sure, do you know/remember check in closure time prior to departure flight in IPC?
Based on your answer I think I will book IPC to BUE for the same day I arrive in IPC from PPT.

Actually I will be visiting Easter Island for a couple of days on my way to Papeete. That's why I don't want to spend another night on my way back if possible.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by nicolasz1986
Hi !
I have to book 2 separates tickets because I want to book flights with miles.

Thank you!
Actually I will be visiting Easter Island for a couple of days on my way to Papeete. That's why I don't want to spend another night on my way back if possible.
Have you looked into how impossible it is to book with miles-or do you have a secret?

I'd be interested to find out how you are doing this?

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

Indeed I will be on LATAM 836 from PPT to IPC (one of my tickets) and then on the same flight from IPC to BUE with a connection in SCL (my other ticket). Then I have to make it on time in the 2 hour layover to clear immigration and customs, and check in again.
To be sure, do you know/remember check in closure time prior to departure flight in IPC?
Based on your answer I think I will book IPC to BUE for the same day I arrive in IPC from PPT.

I don't remember if the counters closed at a specific time before departure. All I remember is that it was a very small and basic airport without much facilities. Given that you are flying LATAM from PPT to IPC and IPC onwards, I am pretty sure you will be able to ask at the LATAM check in counter in PPT to check you and your bags all the way through to your final destination. If so you wont have to worry about issues at IPC. You might want to call the airline and see if you can do it, or ask on the LATAM forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.