Morning arrival in SCL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Morning arrival in SCL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I will also have an early morning arrival at SCL and will need a taxi or transfer to my hotel. Is it safe to take a taxi lined up at the airport? Will I get ripped off? What is the going rate to a hotel in Providencia area? Or should I arrange for a pick up service in advance? Are there any airport shared shuttles?
Which day and at what time do you arrive?
A shared van to Providencia costs 8.000 pesos, while an official taxi 22.000 pesos. If you dont mind spending a bit more inside a vehicle, I would take the van.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
I will also have an early morning arrival at SCL and will need a taxi or transfer to my hotel. Is it safe to take a taxi lined up at the airport? Will I get ripped off? What is the going rate to a hotel in Providencia area? Or should I arrange for a pick up service in advance? Are there any airport shared shuttles?
There is no need to arrange a pick-up service in advance. There are "official" (whatever that means) taxi stands in the international arrivals hall at SCL, just after you clear the Customs/SAG baggage X-ray inspection. As previously noted it's roughly CLP$22.000 to get to Providencia, fixed fare. You won't get ripped off and safety concerns are minimal; international credit cards accepted.

If you're adventurous and/or really cheap, you can hop aboard one of the blue buses that pass in front of the terminal, take that to the Pajaritos metro (i.e., subway) station and take the metro from there to one of several stations in Providencia (Pedro de Valdivia, Los Leones and Tobalaba are the main ones). This costs around CLP$2.500, cash. Not recommended unless you are an experienced traveler and speak some Spanish.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by go787
Which day and at what time do you arrive?
A shared van to Providencia costs 8.000 pesos, while an official taxi 22.000 pesos. If you dont mind spending a bit more inside a vehicle, I would take the van.
We arrive Feb. 11 at 7:50am, a Sunday. We will have large luggage as we are taking a Cape Horn cruise on Feb. 14. We are not cheap but do not want to be taken advantage of by bad taxi drivers. Sounds like taking an official taxi at the airport is the way to go. We are staying at the 4 Points Sheraton Hotel which is I believe in Providencia.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
We arrive Feb. 11 at 7:50am, a Sunday. We will have large luggage as we are taking a Cape Horn cruise on Feb. 14. We are not cheap but do not want to be taken advantage of by bad taxi drivers. Sounds like taking an official taxi at the airport is the way to go. We are staying at the 4 Points Sheraton Hotel which is I believe in Providencia.
Yes. Just tell the booth (easiest to purchase indoors before you leave the doors where people are awaiting arriving passengers) where you are going, that you want a fixed rate, pay on the spot, and then tell the driver where you are going. IIRC, it will be people in orange vests outside. You'll get a car that will take the highway (fastest) and you should be at your hotel door within 20 minutes.
susiesan likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
There is no need to arrange a pick-up service in advance. There are "official" (whatever that means) taxi stands in the international arrivals hall at SCL, just after you clear the Customs/SAG baggage X-ray inspection. As previously noted it's roughly CLP$22.000 to get to Providencia, fixed fare. You won't get ripped off and safety concerns are minimal; international credit cards accepted.

If you're adventurous and/or really cheap, you can hop aboard one of the blue buses that pass in front of the terminal, take that to the Pajaritos metro (i.e., subway) station and take the metro from there to one of several stations in Providencia (Pedro de Valdivia, Los Leones and Tobalaba are the main ones). This costs around CLP$2.500, cash. Not recommended unless you are an experienced traveler and speak some Spanish.
Your suggestion is the way to go.

Most people are going to want to buy and load a metro card at some point during their trip to Santiago. Pajaritos a relatively quiet metro station near the end of the line. It's the perfect place to buy and load your card. From there, it's a straight shot to Providencia or Vitacura.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Not with large or a lot of luggage.

Metro can get very crowded at the further in stops. You need to strategically position yourself near the door so you can get out.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Not with large or a lot of luggage.

Metro can get very crowded at the further in stops. You need to strategically position yourself near the door so you can get out.
Or to get on. Not too long ago I tried to board the metro at Tobalaba with luggage, heading west on line 1 to Pajaritos. But it was around 6:30 pm and the station was so busy I couldn't board any train. So I hopped aboard one heading east, disembarked at Manquehue and then was able to board a train for Pajaritos. I even got a seat. Fortunately I had given myself plenty of time to make my flight, otherwise I would have missed it.
All that to save $17.000 that I would have written off anyway as a business expense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.