FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Salt Cathedral? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/1871037-salt-cathedral.html)

1353513636 Oct 9, 2017 12:58 am

Salt Cathedral?

What's the best reasonably priced way to see the Salt Cathedral in Bogota? Everywhere I've looked is either a private tour with minimum 2 people or exorbitantly priced or only in Spanish. Anyone know of a good option for single English speaking traveller?

Yoshi212 Oct 9, 2017 5:07 pm

To you, what is a reasonable price? I did a quick search and found prices about 70USD/pp for a group tour with return transportation, entrance to the Salt Church, lunch & bilingual guides (Spanish & English. The trip was estimated at 6 hours and listed 3 stops.

1353513636 Oct 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 28913033)
To you, what is a reasonable price? I did a quick search and found prices about 70USD/pp for a group tour with return transportation, entrance to the Salt Church, lunch & bilingual guides (Spanish & English. The trip was estimated at 6 hours and listed 3 stops.

Can you link? Every place I looked had something like that but when you actually went to book it would be like $150 for 1 person and cheaper only for a bigger group.

Yoshi212 Oct 10, 2017 10:23 pm

The one I saw was on Viator which has some other options. Unlike other countries where I have traveled I've found it easy to join a group as a solo traveler or just a smaller group that didn't need or want the private tour routine. Seems in this region most packages are based on the number of people booking. Which means pricing of ~130USD-195USD.

Have you reached out to your hotel to see if they can arrange you joining an established tour at a reasonable rate?

Lewis42 Oct 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 28918377)
The one I saw was on Viator which has some other options. Unlike other countries where I have traveled I've found it easy to join a group as a solo traveler or just a smaller group that didn't need or want the private tour routine. Seems in this region most packages are based on the number of people booking. Which means pricing of ~130USD-195USD.

Have you reached out to your hotel to see if they can arrange you joining an established tour at a reasonable rate?

when I did it I just had my hotel arrange a driver for the day, it costs 80 USD for ghetto driver.

1353513636 Oct 11, 2017 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Lewis42 (Post 28918506)
when I did it I just had my hotel arrange a driver for the day, it costs 80 USD for ghetto driver.

Did the driver give you a tour of the cathedral or just drive?

Lewis42 Oct 11, 2017 3:11 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 28918926)
Did the driver give you a tour of the cathedral or just drive?

Just the drive...they ran some tours when I arrived...

JohnnyColombia Oct 11, 2017 9:16 am

I work for a tour company and it is true that it is expensive to go on your own as a private tour. There simply are not the volumes to offer scheduled outings and expect to fill up seats in a van or something every single day.

I do not know of any group tours but if Yoshi212 has found one then I'd be keen to see the link too

The Salt Cathedral is actually the easiest of Bogotá's day trips to do on your own. Just get on a bus, then get in a taxi to the Cathedral, repeat in reverse to get back home. I will gladly explain how to do it if you indicate that intention but it's a bit wordy to just write out needlessly.

The Salt Cathedral now has increased pricing for foreigners. To the best of my knowledge it's the only place in Colombia that does this. I think it's about COP55,000 if you are not Colombian.

They do have scheduled guided tours in English, if you do go in a private van then the driver will most probably know the time of the scheduled English tours and align your trip to arrive just before one starts

Aside from all of the above. The Salt Cathedral sucks compared to the Salt Mines of Nemocón and if you can you should go to the latter rather than the former.