Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Best biz class? Copa or Avianca

Old Sep 16, 17, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Flying out of NYC to SCL. Have a choice between Copa or Avianca. I know they're pretty much domestic first class, was wondering which has the better product?
Old Sep 16, 17, 1:03 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Don't know the answer to your question, but do you know that flying from JFK is significantly less expensive than EWR?
Old Sep 17, 17, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
With Avianca it is really dependent on what route you are flying and the particular aircraft that is assigned to that route.
Old Sep 17, 17, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TransWorldOne View Post
With Avianca it is really dependent on what route you are flying and the particular aircraft that is assigned to that route.
AV245 (A330) JFK -> BOG
AV115 (A319) BOG -> SCL

appreciate the help!
Old Sep 17, 17, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Copa is a bit better than Domestic F now, with recliners that have decent legroom. More like a PremY product.

Avianca on the twin-aisle planes will be a real J cabin. But on the narrow-body will be domestic F(ish).

Basically a question of whether you want mediocre for both segments or a good/worse split. Also, flight times, redeye or not, ease of connection, etc.
Old Sep 20, 17, 6:20 am

Programs: AA-PLT
The AV lounge in BOG is worlds better than CM's PTY lounge - if you have significant layover time, that makes a big difference.

If you have a tight connection, AV is a bigger risk for missing it than CM. BOG is much more subject to weather and operational delays than PTY. My personal opinion is that I would prefer AV if I am not on a tight schedule, and CM if I am very concerned about on-time arrival. I'm not saying that AV is bad for punctuality, more that CM is very good.
Old Sep 24, 17, 7:39 am

Programs: United 1k - Hilton Diamond
Due to hurricanes my United ORD-SCL trip was rebooked via COPA and night and day difference with the 2 flights - Both in Business

ORD-PTY - Most cramped business class seats Ive sat in, old 90's style seats, with an overhead screen for in flight - breakfast was so so, just odd service, no announcement of movie, or offer of headsets. Staff was indifference.

PTY-SCL - Very nice wide reclining seats, not layflat but what you got in pre lay flat days, food was good, not great but filling, amenity kit, and very very attentive cabin staff, wine glass was never empty. over all a good experience on that flight segment.

Search this Thread