Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Entering Colombia with UK Passport from USA.

Entering Colombia with UK Passport from USA.

Old Aug 31, 17, 3:06 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County, CA (SNA)
Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
Posts: 694
Entering Colombia with UK Passport from USA.

I have dual nationality and just wanted to check this shouldn't be an issue.

I'm planning to arrive into BOG and enter the country using my UK passport (which doesn't require a visa for entry). I'll leave with my US one (handing my UK one to immigration at exit though).

Will this work OK? It seems to be fine for me in Brazil, where the same visa requirements exist (i.e. US passports need them, European ones do not).

Just slightly nervous as this is my first trip there.

Thanks!
tanglin is offline  
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Brussels
Posts: 93
Just use the UK passport to get in and get out. Nobody need to know that you have two.

Like me, I just use the Italian passport to cross the US and not my Brazilian password (that need a visa to go there).

Best
pmichelazzo is offline  
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:20 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County, CA (SNA)
Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
Posts: 694
Thanks for the fast answer pmichelazzo!
tanglin is offline  
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:35 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,478
Although you will need to provide the airline your US passport when you leave, exit immigration can be (and will need to be) given your UK passport
ajeleonard is online now  
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:37 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County, CA (SNA)
Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
Posts: 694
Thumbs up

Thanks - same protocol as I use in Brazil...
tanglin is offline  
Old Aug 31, 17, 5:00 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: KBOS
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 868
Any reason why not use your US passport. Colombia does not require visas for US passport holders.

BTW, no issue with AA using two passports. When I checked in for my outbound flight, they looked for my entry stamp which was on my other passport and not the passport I presented to AA which is registered with Global Entry.
Peregrine415 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:25 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MDE, BWI
Programs: AA-PLT
Posts: 1,448
Originally Posted by Peregrine415 View Post
Any reason why not use your US passport. Colombia does not require visas for US passport holders.
I'm a US citizen who lives in Colombia. The poster is correct that no visa is required for visitors holding US passports.

That said, the passport used at immigration must be the same on entry and exit. Immigration needs to match the entry to the exit. They would have no interest in your US passport if you entered with your UK passport. They also don't care which is registered with the airline - that is only of interest to your destination country.

In my case, my kids are dual citizens. They use their Colombian passports at immigration in Colombia, but their US passports are listed with the airline.
zpaul likes this.
coolcoil is offline  
Old Sep 11, 17, 9:16 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County, CA (SNA)
Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
Posts: 694
Originally Posted by Peregrine415 View Post
Any reason why not use your US passport. Colombia does not require visas for US passport holders.

BTW, no issue with AA using two passports. When I checked in for my outbound flight, they looked for my entry stamp which was on my other passport and not the passport I presented to AA which is registered with Global Entry.
Thanks - sorry for late reply, I've been in Alaska off the grid for a week...

The US Visa site indeed states that no visa is needed. Then in the following sentence they mention you must get a visa extension if planning to stay! Very confusing.

All U.S. citizens who do not also hold Colombian citizenship must present a valid U.S. passport to enter and leave Colombia. U.S. citizens do not need a Colombian visa for a tourist or business stay of 90 days or less. Before the visa expires, you may request an extension of up to 90 days from the Colombian immigration authority

I initially checked with CIBT, the company our company uses for visas, and they said I do need a visa. (www.cibt.com).

I plan to carry both PP and use the US one if I can.
tanglin is offline  
Old Sep 13, 17, 5:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MDE, BWI
Programs: AA-PLT
Posts: 1,448
Originally Posted by tanglin View Post
Thanks - sorry for late reply, I've been in Alaska off the grid for a week...

The US Visa site indeed states that no visa is needed. Then in the following sentence they mention you must get a visa extension if planning to stay! Very confusing.

All U.S. citizens who do not also hold Colombian citizenship must present a valid U.S. passport to enter and leave Colombia. U.S. citizens do not need a Colombian visa for a tourist or business stay of 90 days or less. Before the visa expires, you may request an extension of up to 90 days from the Colombian immigration authority

I initially checked with CIBT, the company our company uses for visas, and they said I do need a visa. (www.cibt.com).

I plan to carry both PP and use the US one if I can.
Technically, the stamp that the immigration officer puts in your passport upon arrival is your visa. They do write in a date. I am pretty sure that this applies to anybody arriving at an airport from a country that does not require a visa in hand before you get on the plane. If you plan to stay more than 90 days, then you do need to go back to the airport to get it extended.

I followed your link to CIBT, and their online system says that a visa is not required.

Last edited by coolcoil; Sep 13, 17 at 6:06 pm
coolcoil is offline  
Old Sep 20, 17, 12:59 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County, CA (SNA)
Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
Posts: 694
Originally Posted by coolcoil View Post
Technically, the stamp that the immigration officer puts in your passport upon arrival is your visa. They do write in a date. I am pretty sure that this applies to anybody arriving at an airport from a country that does not require a visa in hand before you get on the plane. If you plan to stay more than 90 days, then you do need to go back to the airport to get it extended.

I followed your link to CIBT, and their online system says that a visa is not required.
I think that's what CIBT mean. If you put in your location/nationality details on the main screen through the drop-downs, then the next page says 'Visa is required'. If you dig a little deeper they say 'as a general rule' you don't.

I didn't dig deep enough initially.
tanglin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread