Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Best point to meet at Bogotá Intl. terminal?

Old Jul 21, 17, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I am sending my girlfriend alone from Rio to Bogotá where we meet to continue on to Panamá together. I will come from Miami may be 15 min earlier than she. But there may be delays or early arrivals for either of us.

She is very nervous about getting lost. I would love to just pick her up right at whatever gate she comes out of her plane, or tell her to stay put as soon as she comes out of her plane. But then I remembered that that works with domestic arrival in the US, but not on international arrivals. In Bogotá I remember we didn't even get a decent gate, but were bused from the runway to some door in the ground level. And from there I confabulate that there is just an endless labyrinth which ultimately takes you to a fork in the road: immigration and baggage claim vs. international transfer.

I have tried to find a detailed airport map or some walk-through video on youtube to no avail. What is the best and earliest landmark to meet where I can guaranteed get to without being stopped by a one-way no-entry door while she can sit down and wait for me if needed without having to find her way too much further than necessary?

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 17, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.9mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glob, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar LT Tit,IHG Spi,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
I've only exited BOG to immigration, so have not transited. I don't recall places to sit. Maybe it's best to meet at the point just before transit security, which is probably near the immigration area.

Ifly.com says the int. bus gates are 51 and 52, so that would mean long walkways from there to the immigration/transfer areas, according to the airport map:
https://eldorado.aero/en/about/maps/

You could be arriving from the other end of the terminal at gates 16 or 21. Not sure if she would be allowed to just stand-by at her arrival gate.

Good luck.
Old Jul 22, 17, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I would say the entrance to the LANTAM Lounge (by the elevator) in the terminal (lounge is one level up) Usually not that busy there as well.. I have transited BOG on many occasions and everytime I was led into that area once I cleared the BOG equivalent of TSA (you have a baggage check after you exit from your incoming flight). Good Luck..
Old Jul 22, 17, 8:24 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
I'd say the least missable place is Xue Café which is just before the LATAM lounge opposite gate 34 (Speaking as someone that can never find lounges)

Xue Café has stools at a pull up coffee counter so she can have a sit down. That means she will probably need COP to get a coffee so if you want to keep it simple then just tell her to sit by gate 34.
Old Jul 22, 17, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Why thank you! That's very informative. I loved the map that actually shows some detail!

Gate 34 it will be then!

I am assuming after we met we can decide to go to immigration still, right? We have the afternoon to go out and go up the cable car this time.

Speaking of immigration, anyone came from Brazil recently or saw any Brazilians being turned away for lack of proof of Yellow Fever immunization? I had a Copa flight from Rio to Panama at half price because itinerary was going back to Cali. They cancelled that segment on me because of the Yellow Fever stuff. I didn't care as I wanted to get out in Panama anyway. But this time we would like to go out for a few hours and enjoy the long layover.

My hunch is that the airlines are way more strict than the actual immigration officers. I have seen that many times, going to India nobody ever asked at Indian immigration. Or to Brazil, nobody ever asked me for a proof of return or onward trip, yet I have been bumped once by the over-zealous airline. So I hope we can just go through with my passport on top saying that we come from Miami. Estimation for chances of success?
Old Jul 22, 17, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by gschadow View Post
I am assuming after we met we can decide to go to immigration still, right? We have the afternoon to go out and go up the cable car this time.
Why would you not decide this beforehand? I am sure they wouldn't keep you in the airport against your will but this would require going back through the way you came and I am sure there will be all manner of one way doors and security.

Speaking of immigration, anyone came from Brazil recently or saw any Brazilians being turned away for lack of proof of Yellow Fever immunization?
Colombia requires proof of a yellow fever vaccination for travellers coming from a country with risk of Yellow Fever transmission.

Brazil is one such country with a risk. If the check-in agents in Brazil are doing their job properly then they will not let anyone board without a valid certificate.

You might not have an issue because technically you are only in transit at BOG, perhaps someone else can chime in. It would be illogical to demand that you satisfy the entry requirements for a country that you technically are not visiting.

My hunch is that the airlines are way more strict than the actual immigration officers.
Your hunch is correct, it's the airlines' job and they tend to be quite strict because they are the ones that have to take pax back to where they came from if they arrive without a certificate.

Immigration should not need to check this because the airlines' are supposed to have done it.
Old Jul 24, 17, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for some of the replies. You kicked my butt and made me call Avianca to confirm and realize that even to Panama they check Yellow Fever when coming from Brazil. And even Copa Airlines has this. So when I flew from Brazil to Panama, I was actually extremely lucky that they let me in. I guess what helped was that they were tuned into the Colombia question and since I have a Panamanian permanent resident card they thought they couldn't stop me from going "home". Lucked out of that one. And still having time to get a second copy of the certificate of vaccination from the Brazilian health authorities for her.
Old Jul 25, 17, 11:01 am

Thanks again for some of the replies. You kicked my butt and made me call Avianca to confirm and realize that even to Panama they check Yellow Fever when coming from Brazil. And even Copa Airlines has this. So when I flew from Brazil to Panama, I was actually extremely lucky that they let me in. I guess what helped was that they were tuned into the Colombia question and since I have a Panamanian permanent resident card they thought they couldn't stop me from going "home". Lucked out of that one. And still having time to get a second copy of the certificate of vaccination from the Brazilian health authorities for her.
A prudent phone call to make I am sure. I once flew with a friend to Barbados with a friend. Neither of us had any idea that Barbados requires a yellow fever certificate for people arriving from Colombia. Avianca denied boarding
Old Jul 25, 17, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Yes. And by the way, I recommend getting the vaccination done when you are in Brazil. The fact that your record stays in the electronic system and you can get a second copy of your certificate is immensely useful given that it is a life time protection and chances of losing the certificate over a life time is about 200%.
Old Jul 27, 17, 12:33 pm

Yellow fever vaccinations actually last 10 years not a lifetime.

For those that do not know, the vaccination is free at the Red Cross at Bogotá Airport to the left of the Avianca check in counters in international departures.

Obviously the certificate only becomes valid after 10 days. But if anyone is connecting in BOG and they have some time to kill, go and get your free jab and cert, you never know when you might need it.
Old Jul 27, 17, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Yellow fever vaccinations actually last 10 years not a lifetime.

For those that do not know, the vaccination is free at the Red Cross at Bogotá Airport to the left of the Avianca check in counters in international departures.

Obviously the certificate only becomes valid after 10 days. But if anyone is connecting in BOG and they have some time to kill, go and get your free jab and cert, you never know when you might need it.
Wow! Good to know. Anyway to do so when in transit?
Old Jul 27, 17, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Wow! Good to know. Anyway to do so when in transit?
Well it's landside, so you can do it in transit but you have to clear immigration.

Search this Thread