Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Colombia: Splitting 96h between Bogota and Cartagena

Old May 8, 17, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver

I'm about to pull the trigger on some award flights to spend NYE in Colombia with the wife and 2yo.

Flying into BOG at 7pm on Dec 28, out of CTG at 6pm on Jan 1.

Would like to quickly check out Bogota (Candelária, Botero & Gold Museums, maybe Montserrat cable car, and if poss fit in a nice dinner somewhere on the first night, and lunch at La Puerta Falsa).

In CTG interested in just walking around, perhaps a chance of dipping in Caribbean sea. Not too fussed on NYE festivities, due to toddler limitations.

Should I limit myself to 24h in Bogota, or longer, or skip it altogether?

Would prefer to stay at an SPG hotel ( W maybe), but willing to try something else if location too inconvenient.

Thanks!
Old May 10, 17, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Bumping this.

In short:
1 night in BOG and 3 nights in CTG or
2 nights in BOG and 2 nights in CTG?
Old May 11, 17, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, .7MM
If you want to do Candelaria, Botero & Gold Museums and Montserrat cable car, then you will need 2 days in Bogota.

Don't have high expectations on "dipping into the Caribbean" while in Cartagena. The beaches aren't that night. However, you can take a quick ride in a boat (1 hour) and can be at the Islas del Rosario and the beaches there are awesome.
Old May 11, 17, 2:58 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
You would need 2 nights in Bogotá and a full day. Bear in mind the W is in Usaquén which is a stupid place to stay if you want to check out the centre. It's 105 blocks away. My own personal experience of Usaquen, I have never been to a restaurant there that is not rubbish so you probably won't get your nice dinner there either. You'd be better off staying in the JWM, Artisan DC Autograph Collection, Rosales Plaza, Hilton, Embassy Suites, Mika Suites, Holiday Inn Express on the 67 or Hotel Emaus. All near the G zone.

Or pick one of the many and economical hotels around the Parque 93

Some hotels in Cartagena have minimum stay requirements of ~5 days over Christmas and New Year. If you can book it online then you are good to go, but you might end up in Bocagrande. In which case you can dip your toes in the Caribbean but staying there is not really the essence of Cartagena.

I would not bother going to Islas del Rosario with your limited time
Old May 11, 17, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, very helpful indeed!

Am leaning towards 2 nights and one full day in Bogota, which will then give me a little over 48h in Cartagena. Not ideal, but hopefully will give me a good beginner's insight into Colombia.
Old May 11, 17, 4:47 pm
Community Director

I agree with the two and two split. I liked the cultural activities in Bogota very much; the town itself, not so much. I loved the historic center of Cartagena. I hadn't anticipated how charming it would be. Activities were a bit thin but strolling was enormously satisfying.
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:35 pm

Programs: American Exec Platinum, Former Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
I've been to Cartagena twice in the last year. It's an amazing city, but not great for beaches. If you do go there, be sure to spend time in the walled city and maybe check out the nearby mud volcano. It's a very neat experience.
Old Jul 21, 17, 9:08 pm

My proposal is to not do too much. Move to Cartagena right away and stay on the island. Relax at the beach. If you want to do Bogotá, I would really just go out of the city and do the cable car to have a nice view. What else are you going to do in the city? And that with little children? Museum is boring to children.
Old Jul 24, 17, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
A great Cartagena experience has to be sunset-watching from one of the outdoor cafes at the top of the wall. You can see the old city to one side and the sun going down on the other.

There's a beach that's a short taxi ride away and has a lot of hotels lined up like Miami Beach and is favored by locals but really isn't that great. Darker sand and water that reminds me a little of Myrtle Beach.
Old Jul 25, 17, 11:55 am
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
A great Cartagena experience has to be sunset-watching from one of the outdoor cafes at the top of the wall. You can see the old city to one side and the sun going down on the other.
That'll be Café del Mar

There's a beach that's a short taxi ride away and has a lot of hotels lined up like Miami Beach and is favored by locals but really isn't that great.
That'll be Bocagrande

Darker sand and water that reminds me a little of Myrtle Beach.
That'll be South Carolina

Search this Thread