Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

"Operational change" forcing overnight stay in Medellin

Old Apr 3, 17, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

So I was just informed by an airline a few days before my date of travel (I booked this trip a month ago) that an "operational change" meant that they would be putting me on a flight leaving from a different airport in the same city (an hour away by any mode of transport besides helicopter), nearly 3 hours in advance of my originally scheduled flight time. As a result of this, I will be unable to make this flight, as I am arriving on a different carrier (international), at around the same time the new flight is scheduled to leave.

They offered to put me on a flight the next morning, which is the next time there is a flight leaving to my destination. Do I have any right in this case to demand that they cover the cost of a hotel stay for this unexpected forced overnight, as well as the transport between airports? (I booked this flight specifically because it didn't involve a transfer to the other airport)

Alternatively, I imagine they will probably accommodate me if I ask for a refund, but would I have any right to demand on top of that the difference between the flight I paid for on their airline and the cost of rebooking a new flight on a different one, that leaves the same night rather than the following morning?

For reference, if anyone is wondering, I'm referring to the Colombian airline Easyfly.
Old Apr 4, 17, 3:29 am

Programs: AA-PLT
In short, getting anything more than the flight refunded is not going to happen, and I would not be 100% confident that you will get the refund. No airline is going to take responsibility for your connection to another flight.
Old Apr 7, 17, 11:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Enjoy Medellín!

Recommendation: enjoy your brief stay in Medellín. It's a wonderful city. There are much worse places to be stuck for a night!
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
Recommendation: enjoy your brief stay in Medellín. It's a wonderful city. There are much worse places to be stuck for a night!
Seconded. Particularly if the flight was supposed to be out of JMC but is now out of EOH. You'll have a lovely day in Medellin and a short trip to the airport (much closer to the city than JMC).

Search this Thread