Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Bolivia: Yellow Fever vaccine requirements for tourists as of March 2, 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion

Just received word last week from my travel agent: Bolivia, in the wake of a recently-diagnosed case of yellow fever, is updating its requirements for tourists entering the country. As of March 2nd, it seems that all foreign travellers will be required to present a certificate of vaccination against yellow fever.

In the past, the requirement seemed to only be in place if you were coming from an endemic country, and/or travelling to an at-risk area within Bolivia. And it seems like it was rarely enforced at air or land crossings. Now, as best as I can gather, it seems like it will be much more strictly enforced.

It seems unclear as to whether this applies to all foreign tourists, or only those who visited elsewhere in South America prior to their trip. At any rate, I'll be visiting Peru and crossing by land, so I'd be affected either way.

This puts me in a bit of a tight spot. I don't have the vaccine, and I have travel to Bolivia booked (though not to any at-risk zones). And there's a worldwide vaccine shortage going on for several years now, and none of the clinics here in Canada have any supply, nor do they expect to get any between now and when I depart.

The Bolivian embassy in Ottawa didn't seem to have the updated information either; when I phoned on Friday, I was told I wouldn't have a problem as long as I wasn't planning to travel to any low-lying areas. But the employee I spoke to seemed a bit confused and wasn't willing to put anything in writing to that effect. And my travel agent is adamant that it will be a problem.

So... yeah. Not sure yet what I'm going to do. I'm loathe to cancel (can't get any costs back for this as it's not covered by insurance), but I may have no choice if I can't find anyone who has a supply of the vaccine in Canada.

Just thought I'd give anyone else the heads up, or see if anyone had heard anything further.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Oops: I forgot to specify "Bolivia" in the subject line. Mods, can you edit, please?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Yeah, got an e-mail from my travel agent a few days ago saying yellow fever vaccine is now mandatory for people entering Bolivia from Argentina. I can see them enforcing this at airports, but at the (extremely caothic) land crossings between our two countries I doubt it.

Are you going to Bolivia straight from Canada? The yellow fever vaccine is readily available in Buenos Aires for a reasonable price - a friend just got her shot two weeks ago without any issues.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Have you checked to see if there is a clinic with availability in Peru?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

No, I'm going to Peru first, but I won't be there early enough to get the vaccine with the >10 day requirement before entering Bolivia.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:17 pm

Are you nearby any US clinics? In some states also Walgreens offers vaccines.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-...clinics/search
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:51 pm

http://www.travelmonitor.com.au/cate.../yellow-fever/
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airsupply
Are you nearby any US clinics? In some states also Walgreens offers vaccines.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-...clinics/search
Nope. And the vaccine shortage exists in the US, too.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/yf-fj/index-eng.php

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/news-an...-shortage-2016
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:04 pm

Vaccine available in Toronto

Hey there! We are in the same situation and was able to find a few clinics in downtown Toronto that had the vaccine available! Just try calling more clinics.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Update from my travel company as of last week:

On February 17th we advised that as of 2rd March, all travellers entering Bolivia will be required to produce a Yellow Fever Certificate of vaccination. On the back of this news, the Tourism industry (ourselves included) were swamped with calls and e-mails from travellers and medical professionals advising there is a severe Yellow Fever vaccination shortage – especially so in North America.

Considering this, the Bolivian authorities have suspended the policy and its enforcement. The exception to this is when entering Bolivia from a lowland border where mosquitos are more prevalent, where it is likely the Yellow Fever Documentation will still be likely be asked for. Also those who have travelled to or from countries designated as Yellow Fever pandemic areas, the Yellow Fever Vaccine would still be required.

Our strong recommendation is to continue efforts to obtain the vaccination and to keep your Yellow Fever Certificate with your travel documents when entering Bolivia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.