Montevideo attractions

Old Dec 25, 16, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Starbucks Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Montevideo attractions

Considering going to Montevideo for a week because points go far, beaches look nice, and it hasn't been hit by Zika yet.
How many days should I spend there and what do people recommend seeing?
Old Dec 28, 16, 11:32 am

1 or 2 days in Montevideo. The city runs out fast. It is small. I've often found that visitors staying more than that end up regretting it.

Hit the beaches, be prepared for colder waters, and in January/February, you will be sharing the beach with a LOT of people, particularly everything surrounding Punta del Este.

Good news is that very cute girls and guys, whatever you're into, are everywhere.
Old Jan 4, 17, 8:21 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
I really liked the city but agree it would probably get a bit repetitive after 3 days. it's really walkable and has nice parks. Beaches are clean. Ciudad Vieja is nice and unpolished, I'd say get there before it gets all restored and prices go through the roof. Mercado del Puerto is great for a steak. Or 3 steaks a day for your entire stay if you are that way inclined. The locals seemed to be very proud of their abundant "pasta factories." I don't eat wheat but I am sure that if you do then fresh pasta everywhere is a great thing.

You can of course go for a nose around Colonia and even BsAs if you get bored with Montevideo. MVD is a beautiful looking airport
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Sorry to ask (not in my intent to hijack the thread) but how's Punta del Este in May?
From what I can tell it's a beach place and for someone like me, who's not into beaches really (let alone cold one) is it really worthwhile to go?

Also if anyone can recommend a good/educational wine bar in Montevideo it would be greatly appreciated as I won't be able to do a vineyard tour.
Old Jan 10, 17, 2:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes View Post
Sorry to ask (not in my intent to hijack the thread) but how's Punta del Este in May?
From what I can tell it's a beach place and for someone like me, who's not into beaches really (let alone cold one) is it really worthwhile to go?
No. The city will be empty and the weather will be cold. Nothing to do in PDP outwith the December-March slot, and even then things really get going only between Christmas and January 15th.

Search this Thread