FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Smoking/Vaping in South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/1805693-smoking-vaping-south-america.html)

mogsta22 Nov 30, 2016 7:09 am

Smoking/Vaping in South America

We will be visiting BsAs for a couple of days prior to taking a cruise which ends in Valparaiso in Feb/March 2017.

I gave up smoking a few years ago and now vape instead. In UK and Europe I vape in areas where smoking is permitted, like outside not indoors. Just wondering if there is anything special I need to know about or can I just assume that if smoking is OK vaping will be too.

I will be bringing my equipment, juices and some spares with me so should not need to go looking for any products.

FrogProf Nov 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Sorry, no advice about vaping. I just wanted to wish you well on your cruise. We recently completed the same cruise but in reverse. You will see some very beautiful scenery - especially the days cruising before and after Ushuaia.

Eastbay1K Nov 30, 2016 2:13 pm

There's a smoker's forum on Flyertalk somewhere which may provide more help for your inquiry.

Doc Savage Nov 30, 2016 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mogsta22 (Post 27546041)
We will be visiting BsAs for a couple of days prior to taking a cruise which ends in Valparaiso in Feb/March 2017.

I gave up smoking a few years ago and now vape instead. In UK and Europe I vape in areas where smoking is permitted, like outside not indoors. Just wondering if there is anything special I need to know about or can I just assume that if smoking is OK vaping will be too.

I will be bringing my equipment, juices and some spares with me so should not need to go looking for any products.

You might get better answers in the "Smoking" forum, as the folks there have likely had the same questions.

I'd think your common sense approach of vaping where smoking is permitted should work just fine in Chile and Argentina. In Argentina, folks walking around carrying their mate look like they're vaping all the time, anyway.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ndo_blanco.jpg

mogsta22 Dec 4, 2016 11:16 am

Many thanks to all who replied. I appreciate that you all took the trouble. I will find the smoking forum and see what is there.

I'm looking forward to the trip. I know I am going to love it.

RobertWill Dec 26, 2016 10:52 am

I live here in Buenos Aires part of the year and vaping is picking up steam (pun intended?). It is technically illegal to sell, distribute, manufacture vaping equipment or juices. My guess is the tobacco industry has the gov under their thumb. So you will not see a ton of people vaping and people will react with curiosity still.

Smoking is still quite common, there is a ban on indoor smoking so people flock outside. I usually head out with the smokers, but occasionally sneak some puffs inside when I am feeling lazy. No one seems to notice or care. It's like time warping back to Europe to '07. People respect the no smoking laws indoors, outside no one cares and its pretty relaxed.

Enjoy your trip!

HIDDY Dec 27, 2016 5:57 am

Originally Posted by RobertWill (Post 27663926)
I live here in Buenos Aires part of the year and vaping is picking up steam (pun intended?). It is technically illegal to sell, distribute, manufacture vaping equipment or juices. My guess is the tobacco industry has the gov under their thumb. So you will not see a ton of people vaping and people will react with curiosity still.

Smoking is still quite common, there is a ban on indoor smoking so people flock outside. I usually head out with the smokers, but occasionally sneak some puffs inside when I am feeling lazy. No one seems to notice or care. It's like time warping back to Europe to '07. People respect the no smoking laws indoors, outside no one cares and its pretty relaxed.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm actually surprised how well the smokers here have adapted to the no smoking ban as it's not that long ago you could see customers as well as staff smoking inside public buildings, shops and offices.....you still do on occasions.
One factor which helps is the weather here. Being forced outside doesn't feel as if you're being punished!! As for vaping..I'm not in BA but in my town I've yet to see anyone doing it. Cigarettes despite the Macri 40% price hike still cost a fraction of what they do in the UK.

revv Dec 28, 2016 11:30 am

You'll be alright. Where you can smoke, you can vape. Just be prepared for curious people asking ... is that as it is not very popular.

RobertWill Dec 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 27666392)
I'm actually surprised how well the smokers here have adapted to the no smoking ban as it's not that long ago you could see customers as well as staff smoking inside public buildings, shops and offices.....you still do on occasions.
One factor which helps is the weather here. Being forced outside doesn't feel as if you're being punished!! As for vaping..I'm not in BA but in my town I've yet to see anyone doing it. Cigarettes despite the Macri 40% price hike still cost a fraction of what they do in the UK.

The government buildings ironically seem to be either ignoring it or exempt from the law! Every time I've been to one there is someone smoking on the indoor steps or out their windows in their offices.

I am still wondering if it is the tobacco lobbyists that have the ears/pockets lined of the gov or if its bc cigarettes are so inexpensive that has caused vaping to virtually not exist here.

HIDDY Dec 29, 2016 6:02 am

Originally Posted by RobertWill (Post 27672523)

I am still wondering if it is the tobacco lobbyists that have the ears/pockets lined of the gov or if its bc cigarettes are so inexpensive that has caused vaping to virtually not exist here.

Anything is possible here given the recent news about our ex President. :D
In regards to smoking I tend to think it's more because the 'nanny state' way of governing has yet to arrive here.