Reload this Page >

Seeking advice for Iguazu Falls visit

Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Hi all,

I'm planning an upcoming visit to Iguazu Falls as part of a larger South American trip. I've booked the following flights: arrive at IGR on the Argentinian side around midday, and leave from IGU on the Brazilian side the following evening.

I'm seeking advice on which side of the Falls to stay for my one night, and what order to see both sides. My current thought is to stay on the Brazilian side, so that I won't have to deal with any unforeseen border crossing delays on the way to the airport for departure. I'd visit the Argentinian side on day one after arrival, storing my bags in the lockers at the park entrance, before crossing the border that evening. That said, it seems like the lodging options and the town on the Argentinian side are somewhat nicer, but is it worth the potential extra hassle on my departure day?

Any insights or experiences would be appreciated!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:22 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by dkc192
Hi all,

I'm planning an upcoming visit to Iguazu Falls as part of a larger South American trip. I've booked the following flights: arrive at IGR on the Argentinian side around midday, and leave from IGU on the Brazilian side the following evening.

I'm seeking advice on which side of the Falls to stay for my one night, and what order to see both sides. My current thought is to stay on the Brazilian side, so that I won't have to deal with any unforeseen border crossing delays on the way to the airport for departure. I'd visit the Argentinian side on day one after arrival, storing my bags in the lockers at the park entrance, before crossing the border that evening. That said, it seems like the lodging options and the town on the Argentinian side are somewhat nicer, but is it worth the potential extra hassle on my departure day?

Any insights would be appreciated!
When I went to Iguazu Falls years ago, the Brazilian side did not open until 1:00 in the afternoon. I do not know if that was only on certain days or if that has changed since my visit; but if that is still the case for your visit, then obviously visit the Argentina side of the falls first and stay in Argentina overnight.

As you are expected to arrive in Argentina during the day, it is possible to do both circuits by 11:00 in the morning or so on the following day in Argentina before traveling to Brazil.

If you want an up close and personal experience of Iguazu Falls, Argentina is the side on which to be; and Brazil is basically best for an overview of the falls although on the Brazil side, you will get up quite close to Garganta del Diablo, or Devils Throat.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Don't worry about the border crossing. You drive across the bridge and stop for 3-4 minutes to get documents stamped.

There is much more to do and see on the Argentinian side of the falls. You've kind of booked your flights backwards for spending the most time on the AR side. I'd spend the first afternoon on the AR side, spend the night on the AR side, the next morning in the AR side of the falls, and the second afternoon on the BR side of the falls. Then you're in BR for your flight out.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the helpful advice! I'd neglected to think that if I stayed on the Argentinian side, I'd cross the border many hours ahead of my flight to go see the Brazilian side before flying out...doh!

Re. flights: Iguazu will be the last stop on my trip, and before thinking too much about accommodations and such I snagged an award ex-IGU and onward to LAX via GRU, so that part can't be changed. And I'll be coming from Buenos Aires, so I'm pretty much "stuck" flying into IGR. Oh well, there are far worse problems to have, I'd say!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You'll be fine. It's incredibly beautiful. Make sure to take the boat ride, and prepare to get soaked!

Have fun.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm doing almost the exact same thing - which I also did a few years ago. I don't recall any challenges at the border crossing.

In fact, I intentionally scheduled it this way on the upcoming trip as there seem to be higher prices on one-way fares between Argentina and Brazil. As this is part of a broader trip, I only needed a one-way which was not pricing out so well.

So, I fly Buenos Aires to Iguazu and, when I'm done, head across the border via taxi and then fly from IGU to Rio availing myself of a cheap one-way ticket.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:02 am

If you can, see the Brazilian side first, and the Argentinean side the following day. You will have a mind-blowing experience! If you are carrying food, watch out for the Coatis, gorgeous animals, but complete thieves!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.