Paramaribo

Old Apr 27, 16, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Paramaribo

(There's a Luxury Hotels thread on Paramaribo, but I'm just looking for general information.)

Any recent visits to Paramaribo? I'm "reading around" on the internet, but having a tough time forming a solid perspective on the place. I'm going to have time that I need to allocate between Paramaribo and Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago); not sure where to allocate.

Just by way of background, I have no interest in beaches, diving, or hanging out and doing nothing. At minimum, well, I can eat, shop (but not buy), walk, read in cafes and such.
Old May 2, 16, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I have no information to share, but I just wanted to respond to this thread because I find Suriname to be an incredibly fascinating place, and I'd really like to go one day.

What brings you there, if I might ask? Please do report back on how the trip went!
Old May 12, 16, 11:12 am

Prime reason to visit is wildlife, birding and the amazon rain forest. This does require a short air hop (often) and river travel but is well worth it. Some of the most pristine, least visited places int he world with small communities that started from runaway slaves. Paramaribo can be fun with good nightlife and good food (especially Indonesian), and fun people. Summer is hectic as tons of people come to visit from Holland. Other than that not too much to see in the capital. There are some colonial sites to visit. No beaches to speak off. The Torarica is the hotel to stay - but a B&B or home-stay would be great as well.
Old May 12, 16, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

M60_to_LGA - I'm going for work, but will have a few days between the conclusion of my Suriname assignment and the following assignment (Somalia). Port of Spain is the best connection on to Toronto for a connection to Addis on Ethiopian.

Thanks for the information, erik123. I'm going to try to arrange a home stay, if my employer is willing.
Old May 23, 16, 5:14 pm

Programs: UAL 1M/1K/*G, OnePass, Hhonners Diamond, National Executive, Hertz President's Circle
Just got back from a trip to Suriname. Love the country. Great food, relatively laid back and just different from the "regular" vacation spots.
Old May 26, 16, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by choefman View Post
Just got back from a trip to Suriname. Love the country. Great food, relatively laid back and just different from the "regular" vacation spots.
Hmmm. I wish I was going on vacation.
Old May 28, 16, 8:01 pm

If you have 4-5 days go visit the amazon. It will be well worth the expense. You can swim in a piranha filled river and instead of being eaten, eat them for dinner (full of bones though).
Old Jul 20, 16, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior View Post
(There's a Luxury Hotels thread on Paramaribo, but I'm just looking for general information.)

Any recent visits to Paramaribo? I'm "reading around" on the internet, but having a tough time forming a solid perspective on the place. I'm going to have time that I need to allocate between Paramaribo and Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago); not sure where to allocate.

Just by way of background, I have no interest in beaches, diving, or hanging out and doing nothing. At minimum, well, I can eat, shop (but not buy), walk, read in cafes and such.
365RoadWarrior, Paramaribo is a pretty safe area. Just use your common sense (applies to any city). Paramaribo is definitely safer than Georgetown, Guyana. If you stay around the area where most tourist activity (and night life) is you can easily walk to various historic sites.

In regards to the best hotels, in my opinion it is the Courtyard. It is not in the center of all tourist/night life activity but is just a short 3 minute ride to the center where all tourist/night life activity is (taxi's are cheap).
Torarica, which is a hotel which gets mentioned here on Flyertalk, is in the center where most tourist activity/night life is. However it is an old hotel and in my opinion needs to be demolished completely. Right beside Torarica you have Royal Torarica which is supposed to be Suriname's best hotel (it isn't, it's just as "nice" as the Courtyard).
Across Torarica you have the Ramada (there is a Wyndham Garden hotel as well but it is not well situated).

If you are looking to eat you're coming to the right place. There are lots of options from Indonesian to Creole to Indian to Western.
If you need any recommendations for restaurants please let me know.
Tip, because of the current currency crisis in Suriname if a menu has prices in SRD (Suriname Dollar) you will probably get a lot more value for your money. Hotels obviously charge in USD. If you absolutely have to eat in a hotel the Courtyard is your best option.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.
Old Aug 19, 16, 9:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Paramaribo is a pleasant small capital with interesting architecture.
Old Aug 22, 16, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
365RoadWarrior, Paramaribo is a pretty safe area. Just use your common sense (applies to any city). Paramaribo is definitely safer than Georgetown, Guyana. If you stay around the area where most tourist activity (and night life) is you can easily walk to various historic sites.
Just getting back to this thread as my departure date nears.

Hey, thanks, Big Mac. I'm not sure I want restaurant recommendations from a guy named Big Mac. Actually, I've got odd dietary habits/self-imposed restrictions, but I've heard about some pretty good-sounding places. I did book into the Courtyard. It was US$85.
Old Sep 17, 16, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Gold
Courtyard Paramaribo

This property is the best value Category 1 redemption in the entire Marriott portfolio. The only disadvantage is that there is nothing in the immediate neighborhood. The Chinese restaurant 1km away, across the street from the distillery, is excellent.
Old Sep 18, 16, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I stayed at the Hotel Palacio, I was pleased with it, excellent location. More expensive though.
Old Oct 8, 16, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed a short stay in Paramaribo -shortened by somewhat longer than expected transits on either end (by bicycle). Much more pleasant than Georgetown. I posted a short review on Courtyard Hotel in Marriott forum.

Search this Thread