Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Connection in Sao Paulo - How Much Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold

Hey guys,

I am flying from GIG (Rio) to Sao Paulo (GRU) on TAM and arrive at 19:15. I need to catch a GRU-IAD (Washington DC) flight at 21:20, which gives me 2 hours to get through any security and immigration.

The flight to IAD is one that I CANNOT miss. My question is whether or not I have left myself enough time to make the connection. The other option I have is to arrive at GRU at 16:05, which would provide plenty of time for delays, customs, etc.

What has been your experience in connecting in GRU? If I chose the super-safe route of landing at GRU at 16:05, does the airport have anything to do that is at all entertaining? We will have access to the Star Alliance lounge.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The question should really be for you is if it is worth taking the chance. Two hours is usually plenty of time but keep in mind that you have to change terminals. It's not really very far but you have to at the very least leave about 20 minutes to walk from one to the other. I'm currently in Rio de Janeiro and will be connecting through saw Paul on the way home and only have about an hour in between flights. It will be more than enough time barring any major delays. Keep one more important thing in mind and that is that domestic flights in Brazi are delayed or canceled more often than they are not. That may be an exaggeration but that's just my point. I have done connections in São Paulo probably about 50 times and have yet to miss with connecting times as little as an hour from international both international and domestic origins and destinations. If you can't mess as you say above, again I repeat my question… Is it worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.