Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Best hotel for one night in Santiago

Old Feb 3, 16, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

We've got one night in Santiago (a Thursday night), arriving at 5:40pm from Buenos Aires and leaving at 8 pm the next day back to the US. We want to maximize our time on the ground if possible, and are trying to figure out a good place to stay. We've got points in pretty much all the major chains, except Marriott, and would prefer to use them, but don't *have* to. Our main goals are somewhere good (and ideally Chilean) for dinner on Thursday night, and then convenient access to a couple major sites (or perhaps a walking tour) for Friday, ideally with the ability to be able to swing back by the hotel to pick up bags before heading to the airport. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old Feb 3, 16, 9:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I liked my room at W Santiago (review on my blog same as user name) - restaurants in area, subway stop at corner to go to fish market, bike tour, etc. I used points and saw Richard Branson at breakfast! there is a rooftop bar with nice views
Old Feb 6, 16, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We liked the Ritz, which is just a couple of blacks from the W. Good neighborhood for dining, very easy access to various areas via subway.
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For me, the main criterion would be staying within a 5-10 walk from the red line.
Old Feb 9, 16, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Exec club, VS Flying Club, SPG, Marriott Rewards
I like the Singular in Lastarria. A nice neighbourhood and convenient for Cerro San Cristobal/Parque Metropolitano.
Old Feb 9, 16, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrogProf View Post
For me, the main criterion would be staying within a 5-10 walk from the red line.
The RC is a 30 second walk, so it fits the bill.
Old Feb 9, 16, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As nice as the area is by the Ritz or the W, some of your fine dining options in that 'hood include Fuddruckers, Denny's and Starbucks. Oh yes, and that most authentic of all restaurants chileno, the famous Applebee's. If you really want your one night in Santiago to be in such a location, by all means, do it. It is a lovely neighborhood. It is as sterile as all can be.

For a more budget friendly and perfectly acceptable hotel in a major chain, very Metro-convenient, I would suggest the Four Points. It is located in a more middle class area where everything isn't pretty and perfect, and a bit more centrally located for sightseeing.
Old Feb 12, 16, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I totally agree with Eastbay 1K – if you want to be in a modern hotel in a modern area and eat familiar food that you could get in almost any western city, then Providencia is for you.

If you want something more Chilean, I would suggest the Lastarria neighborhood. There are several small, non-chain options but the Hotel Su Merced is a good place to start and the nearby Bocanariz (36 Chilean wines by the glass and more than decent food) should keep you away from the Denny’s and Applebees.

There are several other good restaurants in the neighborhood, and you will be in walking distance of the Central Market (amazing fish displays – go early. You can also eat there), the Cerro Santa Lucia hill to get a view of the city, and if you are more ambitious, the Cerro San Cristobal, across the river.

You are also within walking distance (on your way to the Central Market) of two of Santiago’s major museums: the Fine Arts and the Contemporary Arts.

You can also walk to the Plaza de Armas and the Cathedral of Santiago. La Moneda Presidential Palace as a bit further away.

Taxis are reasonable and, in my experience, honest. The Metro is good but often very crowded.

Buen viaje!!
Old Feb 12, 16, 10:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Nice to read about Lastarria neighborhood as I've just booked a client there.
Old Feb 12, 16, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
As nice as the area is by the Ritz or the W, some of your fine dining options in that 'hood include Fuddruckers, Denny's and Starbucks. Oh yes, and that most authentic of all restaurants chileno, the famous Applebee's. If you really want your one night in Santiago to be in such a location, by all means, do it. It is a lovely neighborhood. It is as sterile as all can be.

For a more budget friendly and perfectly acceptable hotel in a major chain, very Metro-convenient, I would suggest the Four Points. It is located in a more middle class area where everything isn't pretty and perfect, and a bit more centrally located for sightseeing.
We must be bigger walkers than most because looking at a map that seems like the same neighborhood- right by the Costanera mall which we walked to from the Ritz.
Old Feb 17, 16, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Extrapolating out from some of this location advice... does anyone have an opinion about the Intercontinental? It looks like it's even more centrally located, and - at least based on the map - perhaps a reasonable walk over to Mercado Central in the morning?
Old Feb 17, 16, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StckFigure View Post
Extrapolating out from some of this location advice... does anyone have an opinion about the Intercontinental? It looks like it's even more centrally located, and - at least based on the map - perhaps a reasonable walk over to Mercado Central in the morning?
The IC is quite far from the Mercado Central (and not far from the W) - are you confusing it with the Crowne Plaza location?
Old Feb 18, 16, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
The IC is quite far from the Mercado Central (and not far from the W) - are you confusing it with the Crowne Plaza location?
Whoops; that's exactly right. I meant the Crowne Plaza - sorry. I got Intercontinental in my head.
Old Feb 19, 16, 2:59 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
More options

The Crowne Plaza is a good option if you want a larger hotel with an international focus. It has an old-world feeling (lots of polished wood and brass), was built (I think) in the 1940’s but is up to date in amenities. Service is good. Although the Avenida Libertador doesn’t offer much of interest*, it is a short walk to Lastarria, Cerro Santa Lucia, etc. The CP has a couple of nice details – an underground garage for your rental car if you plan to drive to Valparaíso and Viña. Some rental car companies will deliver the car to you at the hotel (ask at the front desk). Also, the afternoon buffet looks very nice (I didn’t try it but lots of hungry Chileans were a good recommendation).

Other hotels you might consider in the neighborhood: The Mercure, a very modern almost minimalist lodging just down the street, and two more classic hotels, the Hotel Galerías and the Hotel Plaza San Francisco.

Be sure to check on all hotel discount sites before you book. Prices vary widely. PM me if you need more information.

Buen viaje!
*Corrected to say: Other than the Iglesia San Francisco, Santiago’s oldest; and the elegant buildings of the Universidad Católica de Chile.
Old Feb 19, 16, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StckFigure View Post
Whoops; that's exactly right. I meant the Crowne Plaza - sorry. I got Intercontinental in my head.
I'm actually going to stay there on my next trip for a night. Rates are so high overall in the city that I'm using my free night from the IHG credit card. It will be generally convenient for where I need to be. Vamos a ver. I've never stayed there previously.

Search this Thread