Buses in Lagos del Sur Chile

Old Jan 18, 16, 2:11 pm
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver

Hello
I'll be in Puerto Varas at the lakes región of Chile. I'm looking for info about buses around Lake Llanquihue, specifically from Puerto Varas to Frutillar, and Puerto Octay. Also to Ensenada and Saltos del Petrohue. I'm looking for routes, lines, schedules, etc. Any info or tips will be useful. Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 16, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My only suggestion (and not quite responsive to your question) is to rent a car @ Pto. Montt for these travels, which will make it much more convenient. I've been down the region several times over the past 15 years, although my last visit was probably 3 years ago.

Given the relatively short distances, I wouldn't be surprised if colectivos ran between Pto. Varas, Frutillar, and Pto. Octay. I've seen small buses (more like larger vans) in the area but haven't really paid much attention because I've always rented a car.

(Note, the colectivo chileno is a little taxi-like car that runs along a specified route "when it shows up" for a fixed fare. There likely isn't room for much of any luggage.)

Out to Petrohué, I've only noticed tour-type vans, but maybe there are other services, too, and again, I've not paid close attention.

Note that the road on the east side of LLanquihue, unless it has been improved in the past decade, is a road you shouldn't drive on, nor should you expect any transit to ride on. I drove it once in a rental car. I am very grateful that neither myself, nor the car, suffered any damage.
Old Jan 18, 16, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Note that the road on the east side of LLanquihue, unless it has been improved in the past decade, is a road you shouldn't drive on, nor should you expect any transit to ride on. I drove it once in a rental car. I am very grateful that neither myself, nor the car, suffered any damage.
Thanks! Renting a car was an option I was thinking about, too. Now, when you say east side of Llanquihue, you mean the road to Puerto Octay, that goes along the east shore of the lake? Or just specific zones near Llanquihue town?
Old Jan 18, 16, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Thanks! Renting a car was an option I was thinking about, too. Now, when you say east side of Llanquihue, you mean the road to Puerto Octay, that goes along the east shore of the lake? Or just specific zones near Llanquihue town?
I mean the road from Pto. Octay to Ensenada (east side of the lake). The road is fine on the south side (to Petrohué) and on the west side (Ruta 5 is an excellent toll road). Time permitting, Puyehue is really nice, too. I've spent a couple of nights out there a couple of times.
Old Jan 18, 16, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Now I'm decided to go for the rent a car option.
Old Jan 21, 16, 5:48 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
I have driven around this lake 3 times now. And driven up the volcano twice, once before it was paved, and I have been to Petrohue on Eastbay1K's recommendation.

Alongside the Scottish lochs, it is easily one of the most beautiful ways to waste a day. I have never seen a bus driving around the lake though

Definitely get the car and have a brilliant trip
Old Mar 2, 16, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Does anybody know where can I take a boat ride in Lake Rupanco, that includes a close view of Salto el Calzoncillo? Probably from Santa Elvira? or El Islote? Thanks

Search this Thread