Montevideo Car Rentals?

Old Jan 2, 16, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Montevideo Car Rentals?

Looking at Hertz and Avis -- both want to charge me $160/day in March to rent their cars with automatic transmission. The base car is cheap but I have no idea how to drive a manual...

Any ideas on other options? Only have a US Driver's License. Is a car really necessary? Want to do 2 days in Montevideo and also to take a drive out to Punta Del Este. How cheap is Uber/Taxi?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30, 16, 7:04 pm

Call them directly to ask for options. Thrifty tends to have better rates. There's a bus to Punta but you need a car when there.
Old Jan 30, 16, 7:48 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Uber has just started up in MVD .But it has had some problems with local authorities and the taxi rivers unions.
Old Jan 31, 16, 1:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Montevideo is small and public transport (buses) do the job reasonably fine.

There are coaches from Montevideo to Punta del Este but you do need a car there: public transport in PDP is negligible and taxis are awfully expensive.

Back in the days I went to Uruguay very often, I always rented cars with Punta Car (http://puntacar.com.uy). They used to be much cheaper than the international agencies and the cars were good. They also have offices in Montevideo and in Colonia.
Old Feb 5, 16, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh View Post
Looking at Hertz and Avis -- both want to charge me $160/day in March to rent their cars with automatic transmission. The base car is cheap but I have no idea how to drive a manual

!
Learn!

My kids both learn how to drive w an auto..but then I taught them how to drive a manual, saying 'the rest of the world don't all drive autos'

Years later I took my son to nurburgring, and we rented a track car... He commented 'glad I learned to drive a manual'

A few hours over 3-4 days you will be entirely proficient. Spend most of your time between 0 mph and 15mph. Admittedly the challenge is finding a manual to use in the us. Or to borrow. Letting the kids learn on my M5 was...emotionally draining.
Old Mar 29, 16, 8:54 am

Programs: AA (for now); LATAM; Marriott Gold
Thrifty and Budget are the cheapest, but that's also if you drive a manual. Try renting a car from a city location in MVD, as they tend to be cheaper. Also keep in mind that if you pay with a foreign credit card, then you don't pay the IVA; which is 20 percent of the price.

Search this Thread