Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

What to do in Cartagena?

What to do in Cartagena?

Old Dec 22, 15, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
What to do in Cartagena?

Any recommendations on things to do in Cartagena? Going there for a few days next week.

Also, what is best way to get to Hilton? Hotel car vs public taxis?
Old Dec 22, 15, 3:00 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by anandrag View Post
Any recommendations on things to do in Cartagena? Going there for a few days next week.
The bulk of what is interesting is within the old town. Hire a taxi guide to take you around both in the old town and outside it. That will help give you a feeling for the town and what you want to do on your own.

Take a taxi to the hotel. There's not need to rent a hotel car in my opinion.
Old Dec 22, 15, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
The bulk of what is interesting is within the old town. Hire a taxi guide to take you around both in the old town and outside it. That will help give you a feeling for the town and what you want to do on your own.

Take a taxi to the hotel. There's not need to rent a hotel car in my opinion.
Was thinking more of arranging car from airport via hotel. Not renting one. Public taxis from airport are ok to take without running risk of being taken for a long ride...?
Old Dec 22, 15, 3:12 pm
Community Director

Was thinking more of arranging car from airport via hotel. Not renting one. Public taxis from airport are ok to take without running risk of being taken for a long ride...?
We've done it twice and were fine. Let's see who else has real world experience.
Old Dec 23, 15, 5:24 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
I live in Bogotá where the taxi drivers can be real jerks, but I have never had a bad experience in Cartagena and I have been there lots of times already. The costs to Bocagrande are mandated from the airport. Airport to Bocagrande you should be able to see the sea most of the way so you don't even need to know your way around to be sure you are heading in the right direction.

Return from Bocagrande to the airport will cost the same give or take a couple of thousand pesos.

In terms of things to do, try to do as little as possible because it is so oppressively hot. I tend to find I spend my time looking for the next watering hole, and there are surprisingly few of them with aircon and cushioned seats.

Book a city tour with a local provider but keep it short otherwise you will exhaust yourself.

Check out some good restaurants, Cartagena has probably the best food in Colombia

Go to Café del Mar at 5.30pm at least one of your nights there. Have a bad cocktail, enjoy the breeze and the trippy music, watch the sun melt into the Caribbean.

Enjoy your visit

Search this Thread