Wiki Posts
Search

SCL rant

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
SCL rant

So, we were yesterday on LA443 SCL-EZE. Got to the airport 2 hours before departure and after going through bag drop, immigration and security we wanted to have a drink. We hold no Oneworld status and we were flying Economy, so what could we do?

We tried Starbucks Coffee - you know, the American chain, they sell coffee and tea. The girlfriend asks for an Americano and the lady answers: "We have no coffee or tea". "I beg your pardon?" "Nope, only juices and sodas". Alright, so no coffee at Starbucks Coffee for us today.

So we went to a bar which is called Ruby Tuesday. It is the girlfriend's favourite song, so she was happy and therefore I was happy. Since we were unsuccessful at getting coffee, let's go for a pint - it is always 5 o'clock somewhere. We ask for a beer and the waiter says "you need to order some food with your drink." "I beg your pardon?" "Licensing laws. We can only sell alcohol if you have something to eat with it. Go try the Heineken bar". Alright.

So we moved to the Heineken bar. It was empty save for a table full of Americans. The waiter comes over and we ask for a schop of Heineken each, as this was the Heineken bar. "Oops, sorry, I don't have any Heineken left", said the waiter at the Heineken bar. "I beg your pardon?" "Only Cristal or Kunstmann". Alright. So we ordered two bottles of Cristal. The waiter comes with the beer and I ask for the wi-fi password. "Wi-fi? Here? No way. It never works". "I beg your pardon?" "Wi-fi at the airport is crap. Sometimes the Starbucks wi-fi works, but otherwise forget it, no wi-fi at SCL". Alright. We have our beers and engage in a nice conversation, which is what people used to do at airports before there was wi-fi.

Now seriously, what is the problem with SCL? I hadn't been there for 3 years and my memories were that it was a nice airport - not perfect, but good. This time, however, everything that could go wrong went wrong. I understand the Ruby Tuesday not selling alcohol without ordering food, it's a Chilean thing and I've experienced it in other places in Santiago. The Heineken bar, well, whatever, Cristal was good enough. But Starbucks Coffee selling no coffee? And no wi-fi whatsoever at an international airport in the 21st century? Even AEP has free wi-fi!

This is just a small cathartic rant. Next time I will make sure I have lounge access.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by Marambio
And no wi-fi whatsoever at an international airport in the 21st century? Even AEP has free wi-fi!
I know it seems crazy, but actually not EVERY international airport has WiFi... last time I was at ORD in September, they did not have it (for free). Had to use my data allowance there... that said, you are right - all major airports should have WiFi for free by now!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes sir, the lounge access is key. The Admiral's Club is excellent. Open bar, premium beer, wine, and liquor. Oh, and good wifi.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
It may have been brought up in another thread but I don't think an answer was ever provided.

I'll be leaving SCL at 7:15am on a Sunday, I'll be in business class on Avianca, I've got star gold status...is there a lounge open that early? If so any idea what time? I think I'll have bags to check so I need to get there a BIT early, and if there's any breakfast in the lounge I'll show up around 6 maybe.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:45 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Marambio
"Oops, sorry, I don't have any Heineken left", said the waiter at the Heineken bar. "I beg your pardon?" "Only Cristal or Kunstmann". Alright. So we ordered two bottles of Cristal.
I think the pain of SCL was mainly your fault. The stars were aligning for you to have a delicious bottle of Torobayo and you missed the hint and accidentally went for the Cristal.

Kunstmann probably comes wifi enabled too.

drvannostren, Avianca lounge surely must be open at 7am if they have flights. I was looking a J options myself this week on AV from SCL and they have a flight to LIM at about the same time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.