Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

SCL early morning departure - o/night at airport?

Old Oct 27, 15, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Mrs secondsoprano and I are flying out of SCL to Europe at 7am. If we have to be there three hours early anyway it seems almost ridiculous to get a hotel. We're thinking maybe have a really, really late dinner in the city, get to the airport at 2am or so, hang out in the lounge (I'm OWE) and sleep a bit there, then get on the flight. Is this a completely insane plan? Is the airport even open at that hour? Is it safe to get a cab in the early hours of the morning from the city? By the way this is 31 Dec - does the fact that it is NYE make any difference?
Old Oct 27, 15, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(1) I think the only 24 hour lounge is the Pacific Club.
(2) NYE dinners are going to be something you'll need to plan ahead. There will be some places open, but many won't, and the major hotels often have a big expensive shindig.
(3) Santiago has some great fireworks shows. The easiest access one is at the big communications tower in the center. I'll be watching it from my friend's roof terrace once again.
(4) If you will have been spending time in Santiago, your best bet if you want to stay in the city is to have the hotel keep your luggage and arrange for airport transport from that hotel to SCL at whatever hour you choose. I have enough experience trying to get late NYE (3 am-ish) taxis to know it can be a major issue.
(5) The new LAN/TAM lounge @ SCL is lovely. It apparently now opens at 3am - I just checked, I'm surprised. I have no idea what time your earliest check-in might be.
(6) Your alternative is to be boring and go to the Holiday Inn @ SCL which is a short walk to the terminal, eat dinner there, go to sleep, and then go to the airport.
(7) It will most likely be a lovely summer's eve with a late sunset, lovely dry weather, comfortable (not too warm) nighttime temps, and sitting in a hotel, or at an airport for too long, would be a shame.

I left Chile at the end of 2001 in a plane shortly before midnight 1 Jan. I left Chile at the end of 2002 in a plane shortly before midnight 1 Jan. I have spent every New Years in Chile since that time.
Old Oct 29, 15, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice Eastbay.

Search this Thread