Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

New Colombian Tax System?

Old Oct 11, 15, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold

Hey regulars, I just noticed something recently in my last two trips down to Colombia.

First off, I don't know the name of the tax, but it's the one I'm exempt from as a tourist as long as I stay less than 60 days. I've only ever had to pay it once, years ago and I didn't stay longer than 60 days, but it was an Avianca ticket and maybe they didn't charge me up front, maybe it was a mistake...tbh I'm still confused about this whole thing.

Normally I get to the front of the line in MDE, they direct me to Aeronautica Civil to get the stamp and little receipt and come back to check-in, because the line in Bogota is always long.

In Barranquilla flying on AA back to Miami, it wasn't even mentioned, I didn't think about it. But in Medellin I said to her "ok so now I have to go down to that desk right?" which she said no. She said "now we can verify you're ok in our system". She was clearly a student or new (they wear different uniforms than the "real" Avianca employees) so I wanted to make sure we were clear, I wasn't going to have time to stop at the counter in BOG when I got there. She confirmed with someone else, no stamp, no receipt.

Got to the gate in BOG for my BOG-YYZ flight and was worried when they were charging a guy next to me the tax, because I had 0 cash and was assuming they couldn't take a credit card at the gate. I go to board she sends me over to someone else for document confirmation. They took 5 minutes, gave me a "docs ok" sticker on my passport, even though the girl in MDE wrote it on my BP and let me proceed.

What is this guys? I've been going to Colombia for 6 years now, I STILL have no idea what this is. The guy next to me who was paying had a visa of some sort and did get on the plane but he had to pay some tax, not sure how much. I've always just had to collect this stamp, which NOW evidently is no longer necessary? The AV agents can just check it themselves? I think the BOG gate wasn't even looking for a tax thing with me, they just checked my name off a passenger list, seemed like they were strictly checking to make sure my passport matched. Any ideas guys?
Old Oct 11, 15, 4:13 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Yeah, there was a post about this recently. Seems the airlines now have the responsibility to process and give you the refund when you are exempt from the tax at BOG.

If I recall correctly you paid it in your tix if originating Colombia and hence got the Aeronautica Civil stamp for the airline to refund the tax to you. Of course, not originating in Colombia then not in tix so no refund.

Calling JC to make sure I am not as confused as always?
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Oh ok, for a second there I thought I'd lost a bunch of money. Yea I've never been given a refund and only once had to pay it.

Now I wonder what the guy in line at the gate was paying. He kept calling it an exit tax but I talked to him and I don't think that's exactly what it is because of how many exemptions there are. I could be wrong, but he didn't speak Spanish so he didn't really have a great sense of what was going on either haha.
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:54 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Impuesto de timbre nacional
COLOMBIA RESIDENT EXIT TAX (DG) $25.60

as long as you were in Colooombia less than 60 days.

Search this Thread