Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

11pm Landing at SCL - Transport to city?

Old Sep 22, 15, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold

We are going for a weekend escapade to Santiago in November so as to take advantage of our ridiculously strong Argentinian peso (provided you can access the official exchange rate, that is).

We are on LA480 from AEP, landing at SCL at 22:45 on a Friday night.

On my previous trips to Santiago I always landed in the morning and stayed near Los Héroes, so the obvious option from the airport was to take the Centropuerto bus which is both very cheap and very convenient. On this occasion, however, we booked ourselves in a small hotel at calle Bellavista, in Providencia. The hotel is offering an airport pick-up for 20,000 CLP (roughly 28 USD), but I am wondering whether there is a cheaper option. I have heard that there are shared taxis from SCL to the city for 6,000 CLP or so?

We could take the Centropuerto and hail a cab at Los Héroes but it will be midnight by then and while I know Santiago is a safe city, I wouldn't even do that in London if travelling with the girlfriend and with luggage.

So, should I stick with the hotel pick-up or are there any better options?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 23, 15, 9:30 am

http://www.transvip.cl
Old Sep 23, 15, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 15, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Just a word about Transvip. I used them from the airport to the hotel, no problem. Booked and paid for a one way, since I was returning from a different hotel about 10 days later.

On my way back, I could not book online and had the concierge at the lounge book it for me over the phone, in Spanish. My Spanish is good enough that I could follow what she was saying but not good enough to be confident booking it on my own. Somehow the booking got mixed up after waiting 30 minutes the bellman at the hotel called for me -- and was reportedly told that the booking had been put in for 6 am not 6 pm. Fortunately my flight was a few hours off so I ended up with a cab to the airport and made it just fine. But I worried all the way.

Not sure just what went awry, or even if the bellman was telling me the truth. But thought I would report it in case you want to set up the return at the airport, where the Transvip staff does seem to speak better English. If you are fluent in Spanish, it may not matter.

Other than that, Transvip was pretty much like taking Supershuttle here in the US.
Old Sep 26, 15, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 466SHH View Post
Just a word about Transvip. I used them from the airport to the hotel, no problem. Booked and paid for a one way, since I was returning from a different hotel about 10 days later.

On my way back, I could not book online and had the concierge at the lounge book it for me over the phone, in Spanish. My Spanish is good enough that I could follow what she was saying but not good enough to be confident booking it on my own. Somehow the booking got mixed up after waiting 30 minutes the bellman at the hotel called for me -- and was reportedly told that the booking had been put in for 6 am not 6 pm. Fortunately my flight was a few hours off so I ended up with a cab to the airport and made it just fine. But I worried all the way.

Not sure just what went awry, or even if the bellman was telling me the truth. But thought I would report it in case you want to set up the return at the airport, where the Transvip staff does seem to speak better English. If you are fluent in Spanish, it may not matter.

Other than that, Transvip was pretty much like taking Supershuttle here in the US.
Thanks for the heads up. I am a Spanish native, but I will pay attention to this.
Old Nov 15, 15, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this old thread just to vouch for Transvip.

We booked online an "executive taxi" as it was cheaper for 2 people than the shuttle, plus it didn't make any stops on the way to the hotel. We paid 38,500 CLP both ways while the shuttle was 10,000 CLP one way per person.

Landed with a 1-hour delay at midnight and after going through customs we approached the Transvip counter and my name was showing on the screen. In less than 2 minutes we were onboard a brand new Hyundai and 20 minutes later we were at our hotel in Bella Vista.

On the way back to the airport, I called Transvip in the morning just to confirm they remember to pick us up and they said yup don't you worry. We had booked the taxi for 14:40 and by 14:20 the chap was outside the hotel. Again it was a nice Hyundai and since there was no traffic we made it to the airport in 15 minutes or so.

Overall, we were very happy with Transvip.
Old Nov 21, 15, 12:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Hey stupid foreigner here, I'm trying to get a quote on price for the Transvip but I can't seem to get the site to work, maybe because I'm missing info in the address?

I've got the barrio, calle, numero, but I'm not sure what they want for Departamento or Referencia.

Basically I wanna see how much the round trip would cost between SCL-Downtown. I'm arriving at an easy time to take the metro/bus but I might have lots of luggage, then going back to the airport it'll be very early on a Sunday morning.

Alternatively what would a taxi cost to downtown? Can Uber pick up at SCL? or drop off for that matter? Dunno what kinda coverage Uber has in Santiago, but it appears that it does exist.
Old Jun 15, 16, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Alternatively what would a taxi cost to downtown? Can Uber pick up at SCL? or drop off for that matter? Dunno what kinda coverage Uber has in Santiago, but it appears that it does exist.
Uber can pick you up from the airport and they will do so in the parking lot. It may not be the best bet though. On arrival we ordered one and a ~25 min ride to Providencia ran us 20k pesos. On the flip side we had our hotel arrange a taxi for us at a fixed price of 13k. We didn't even negotiate, that's what she told us and we accepted so prolly can do even better. The guy turned on his meter for some reason and when we arrived it was 16.6k just to throw out another data point. Im not sure if the fare from the airport should be higher because of some fee or whatever but if not then Uber was the worst price available.
Old Sep 9, 16, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Platinum Elite
Regarding Uber in Santiago, is/are Uber Black significantly better? Here in San Francisco the Uber Black cars are the same licensed "TCP" cars used by all limo and sedan car companies; the drivers just drive for Uber Black in between other scheduled rides. Mercedes sedans, SUVs, other luxury cars and professional drivers. So I routinely use Uber Black and have a much better experience than either regular Uber or regular licensed taxis.

Is that also the case in Santiago? I see that they are available but as with anything Uber there is no helpful info available on their app.

We're planning a visit next March and would be happy to use Uber Black if it's reliably better. Otherwise would probably ask our hotel to arrange cars.

thanks all!
Old Sep 10, 16, 10:11 am

Just be aware Uber is constantly under scrutiny and attack by the taxi mafia (with some incidents of violence) in Santiago and they even have the government fining unofficially licensed Uber drivers.
Old Sep 12, 16, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo View Post
Just be aware Uber is constantly under scrutiny and attack by the taxi mafia (with some incidents of violence) in Santiago and they even have the government fining unofficially licensed Uber drivers.
Thanks Viajero - that's exactly why I'm asking about Uber Black specifically as opposed to regular Uber; "regular" Uber drivers here in SF and (I believe) in all US cities are similarly unlicensed, unregulated, etc. and thus present the issues of resentment you raise: the licensed taxi drivers are resentful of drivers who don't follow the same rules they have to. But Uber Black drivers here are permitted and licensed and thus aren't avoiding any rules or laws when they drive for Uber. I was wondering if it was the same in Santiago.

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Sep 16, 16 at 12:34 pm

Search this Thread