Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

What to do in 25 hours in BOG?

Old Aug 29, 15, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold

Going there next weekend courtesy of the great fares on AA ($274).
Land at 1215 am (Fri night/Sat morning) and leave at 130 am next day.

Wondering whether experts can give me some recommendations on what to do. I'm generally a fan of walking around & exploring (if safe of course), finding fun (not necessarily fancy) spots to eat and people watch. Not typically a huge museum fan.

Also, planning at staying at the Holiday Inn Express in the financial district (zona financiera). Is that an ok spot? Easy to get around from there using taxis?

Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 15, 12:20 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
HIX 67 is a cool spot opposite Astrid and Gastón

Arrive to your hotel. Sleep (although if you get there by 1am it's not too late to go out for beers

Next day, get a cab to La Candelaria, Botero Museum as a handy start point. I see you don't like looking around museums but it's an easy find for the taxis. Walk around a bit, go to Plaza Bolivar, have brunch or lunch in La Puerta Falsa. Walk down to Av Jimenez and follow the water feature all the way to the teleferico. Go up Monserrate, have a nose around and see Bogotá from upon high. Come back down, walk back towards the centre from where you came but hail a cab on that road that spirals off to the right. Go back to your hotel. Dinners over the road in the Zona G if you want it, Julia is nice, lots of other options too. Go to the Zona T for a beer, go back to your hotel, collect your stuff, head back to the airport.

Next to your hotel there is a place called "Pizza por Metro" i am not recommending it but if you happen to go there I am keen to know how it is possible to sell something round by the metre and not by degrees. Please come back and update if you happen to find out how this is done
Old Sep 2, 15, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Heading to Bogota for the weekend. Excited about spending a few days.

Is there anything to know about money exchange? Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 15, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
Heading to Bogota for the weekend. Excited about spending a few days.

Is there anything to know about money exchange? Thanks!
Common sense just to hit the ATMs at the airport and then just use plastic
Old Sep 2, 15, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
84 hours in Bogota

+1 for this thread, BOG is going to see an influx of visitors thanks to AAs super fares.
I have about 84 hours in Bogota, would love suggestions on what to do. I am arriving and leaving on a redeye (Sat noon and Wed 1AM respectively) and looking for itinerary suggestions.

I think the first day we might just want to relax in the hotel and explore nearby.
Sunday - Is a bike tour worth it as I believe major roads are closed to cars?
Monday??
Tues - since we are going to have a long evening to kill would it make sense to do an out of town trip that starts midday and gets back to the airport say at 10pm??
Old Sep 2, 15, 3:58 pm

If any of you are coming on AA1123 DFW BOG, I was booked on that flight on Sunday, it was cancelled, I got rerouted and as a result I got 3 hours in Lima too

Bike tours here. http://www.bogotabiketours.com/ Mike runs it, he's an American. Gold Museum free on a Sunday, saves you $2

Mondays suck, lot of places close like Nemocón, Guatavita and the Gold Museum. Botero Museum is closed on Tuesdays

Out of town trips are a nice idea but you are going to start twiddling your thumbs about 5pm.
Old Sep 2, 15, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
If any of you are coming on AA1123 DFW BOG, I was booked on that flight on Sunday, it was cancelled, I got rerouted and as a result I got 3 hours in Lima too

Bike tours here. http://www.bogotabiketours.com/ Mike runs it, he's an American. Gold Museum free on a Sunday, saves you $2

Mondays suck, lot of places close like Nemocón, Guatavita and the Gold Museum. Botero Museum is closed on Tuesdays

Out of town trips are a nice idea but you are going to start twiddling your thumbs about 5pm.
Thanks for the heads up. I am one of many that are booked on AA1123 in the future (in my case, February) for a weekend getaway. Am looking forward to my first trip to Colombia and to all of the travel tips that I am sure will be posted on FT!
Old Sep 3, 15, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
HIX 67 is a cool spot opposite Astrid and Gastón

Arrive to your hotel. Sleep (although if you get there by 1am it's not too late to go out for beers

Next day, get a cab to La Candelaria, Botero Museum as a handy start point. I see you don't like looking around museums but it's an easy find for the taxis. Walk around a bit, go to Plaza Bolivar, have brunch or lunch in La Puerta Falsa. Walk down to Av Jimenez and follow the water feature all the way to the teleferico. Go up Monserrate, have a nose around and see Bogotá from upon high. Come back down, walk back towards the centre from where you came but hail a cab on that road that spirals off to the right. Go back to your hotel. Dinners over the road in the Zona G if you want it, Julia is nice, lots of other options too. Go to the Zona T for a beer, go back to your hotel, collect your stuff, head back to the airport.

Next to your hotel there is a place called "Pizza por Metro" i am not recommending it but if you happen to go there I am keen to know how it is possible to sell something round by the metre and not by degrees. Please come back and update if you happen to find out how this is done
Thank you!

Few questions:
* What is good place for beers after I land?
* How far is hotel from airport and how much will taxi cost?
* If I use mostly cash for taxis, how much should I take out from ATM? $100?
Old Sep 3, 15, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by anandrag View Post
Thank you!

Few questions:
* What is good place for beers after I land?
* How far is hotel from airport and how much will taxi cost?
* If I use mostly cash for taxis, how much should I take out from ATM? $100?
Well if you are getting in at about midnight you might get to your hotel for 1am so you'd probably have to get another taxi to the pub in Zona T. Bogotá has something called the "carrot law" which means everywhere must close at 3am. "The Pub" will still have drinkers though, can be a bit tough getting a taxi back from there at 3am though.

A taxi from the airport costs what the meter says plus about 1700COP plus 3600COP for airport pickup. So it should cost about 25000COP which is about US$8 but the drivers at the airport don't much care for the rules. I have been asked for 30,000 COP to the Marriott before now which is 5 mins from the airport. Bogotá is the only city in Colombia where I'd recommend you do not use the airport taxis. Get your hotel to organise a pick up

If you get $100 out for taxis you will be going home with about $70 in COP. Expect each taxi (apart from the airport) to cost max 10,000 COP which is about US$3.50
Old Sep 3, 15, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Well if you are getting in at about midnight you might get to your hotel for 1am so you'd probably have to get another taxi to the pub in Zona T. Bogotá has something called the "carrot law" which means everywhere must close at 3am. "The Pub" will still have drinkers though, can be a bit tough getting a taxi back from there at 3am though.

A taxi from the airport costs what the meter says plus about 1700COP plus 3600COP for airport pickup. So it should cost about 25000COP which is about US$8 but the drivers at the airport don't much care for the rules. I have been asked for 30,000 COP to the Marriott before now which is 5 mins from the airport. Bogotá is the only city in Colombia where I'd recommend you do not use the airport taxis. Get your hotel to organise a pick up

If you get $100 out for taxis you will be going home with about $70 in COP. Expect each taxi (apart from the airport) to cost max 10,000 COP which is about US$3.50
Cool.
Are there pre-paid taxis or something like that at airport?
No bars near hotel?
Old Sep 3, 15, 2:04 pm

Cool.
Are there pre-paid taxis or something like that at airport?
No bars near hotel?
No, BOG used to have mandated taxi prices with a voucher from the airport but the taxi drivers lobbied to change the system because the voucher system made it too hard to cheat people. It's a ridiculous scenario

You do have some bars near your hotel but not immediately

Walk down Calle 67 to Carrera 11 and then go up a couple of blocks to Calle 69 and there are bars

or

Walk 7 blocks down Carrera 7 to Parque de los Hippies and there are bars there too on Calle 60

The former are student hole in the wall type bars, the latter are sort of shabby chic
Old Sep 3, 15, 2:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Haha Johnny you run this thread!

I've been to the actual city of BOG (as in outside the airport) only twice, but I know none of this stuff, I like to wander aimlessly and I'm not into museums, but I'm def gonna look for some of this stuff next time I'm in BOG.
Old Sep 3, 15, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Haha Johnny you run this thread!

I've been to the actual city of BOG (as in outside the airport) only twice, but I know none of this stuff, I like to wander aimlessly and I'm not into museums, but I'm def gonna look for some of this stuff next time I'm in BOG.
He owns it! Thank you Johnny...!
Old Sep 3, 15, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Going there next weekend courtesy of the great fares on AA ($274).
Land at 1215 am (Fri night/Sat morning) and leave at 130 am next day.

Wondering whether experts can give me some recommendations on what to do. I'm generally a fan of walking around & exploring (if safe of course), finding fun (not necessarily fancy) spots to eat and people watch. Not typically a huge museum fan.

Also, planning at staying at the Holiday Inn Express in the financial district (zona financiera). Is that an ok spot? Easy to get around from there using taxis?

Thanks!
Are you flying tomorrow? We might be on the same flights. Fantastic thread, thanks for the recs everyone! I'm staying at the W.
Old Sep 4, 15, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Flying today Fri at 315 pm from EWR to DFW and 648 pm from there to BOG. You? Didn't even realize there was a W there...

Search this Thread