Search

5 days in SCL/ Daytrip suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
5 days in SCL/ Daytrip suggestions

I have a week in SCL starting next Saturday, and was curious on daytrip suggestions beyond the typical Valpo/ Vina Del Mar? I'm really excited for my first trip to Chile!
Cheers
Howie
Old May 11, 2015, 9:10 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Go to Algarrobo. Have a paddle in the world's biggest swimming pool

I appreciate that the world's biggest swimming pool is next to the Pacific Ocean, which is the world's biggest ocean, which you could also swim in. Chilean irony for you
Old May 11, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Go to Algarrobo. Have a paddle in the world's biggest swimming pool

I appreciate that the world's biggest swimming pool is next to the Pacific Ocean, which is the world's biggest ocean, which you could also swim in. Chilean irony for you
Well, you could swim in it, but the water is cold, and in many places, rough, i.e., you swim one way before lowering one's standing in the food chain.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:01 am

Valparaiso
Old May 13, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Here are a few suggestions:

If you're into wine, rent a car and drive to the Casablanca Valley, along the main highway connecting Santiago with Valpo/Viña. This area is where most of Chile's good whites and many of its Pinot Noirs are produced. Several wineries have established restaurants where you can get a good lunch.

Or, if you're more into reds, drive south on Route 5 to San Fernando and then exit toward Santa Cruz. This is the Colchagua Valley, one of the premier areas for producing big reds. Again, there are winery tours and restaurants available.

If you're into hiking, try Cerro Manquehue. It's about a 700 metre climb to the top, starting at 1,000 metres elevation. Nice views from up there. This time of year you can choose either the north access (dry, exposed and too hot in the summer) from Lo Barnechea or the south access (wetter, somewhat sheltered and too muddy in the winter) from Vitacura.

There are lots of other good day hikes as well.

For coastal towns a perennial favorite is Zapallar, to the north of Viña. It's a beautiful place with a lot of upscale summer homes owned by wealthy families from Santiago. There are a couple of decent seafood restaurants along the shore.

Although you mentioned daytrips other than Valpo, I highly recommend Valpo which is an interesting place.

If you want to overnight, you can either go north to La Serena (km 475 on Route 5 North) or south to the lakes district (this is a good 8 or 9 hour drive from Santiago). Pucon and Villarica are popular centers in the lakes district (watch out for erupting volcanoes, though). Valdivia is one of my favorite places, near the coast. It's a nice city with a lot of German influence in a beautiful area. Only downside is that it rains a LOT there.

Enjoy your stay. Chile is a wonderful country.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
Here are a few suggestions:

If you're into wine, rent a car and drive to the Casablanca Valley, along the main highway connecting Santiago with Valpo/Viña. This area is where most of Chile's good whites and many of its Pinot Noirs are produced. Several wineries have established restaurants where you can get a good lunch.

Or, if you're more into reds, drive south on Route 5 to San Fernando and then exit toward Santa Cruz. This is the Colchagua Valley, one of the premier areas for producing big reds. Again, there are winery tours and restaurants available.

Enjoy your stay. Chile is a wonderful country.
I'd definitely check out wineries, but there's something to be said for taking an organized tour. Many use small vans, so it's not like you'll be getting off a bus with 50 of your not-exactly-closest friends, and you don't have to worry about how much of the product you sample on the tour or at lunch.

Can't argue with the last sentence!
Old May 13, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Going to be in SCL 22MAY-25MAY as well. Feel free to PM me your email address and perhaps we can coordinate a dinner one night! Booking a few excursions now as well.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I'm not hugely into Reds, but thinking about a Colchagua Valley tour as the scenery appears stunning. Is it worth the long ride from Santiago? Another tour I saw that interested me is Cajon Del Mapio which also looks beautiful. Certainly Valpo will be a daytrip, but wanted other ideas. Thanks everyone!
Cheers
Howie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.