Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Carmelo, Uruguay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Getting to Carmelo, Uruguay

Hi FT'ers,

Does anyone have recent experience getting from Buenos Aires to Carmelo, Uruguay?

We're going to Carmelo over New Years' Eve and the few days afterward, and it looks like all the available rental cars in Colonia are sold out, which means my presumption that we could just take the Buquebus to Colonia and drive to Carmelo from there is wrong.

1) How much would a cab or shuttle service be from Colonia to Carmelo?

2) Has anyone had experience with taking the train from Bs As to Tigre, and then taking the 2 hour delta boat ride directly to Carmelo? It sounds, obviously, far longer but perhaps it could be charming (and certainly cheap).

3) Are the charter planes at all a reasonable option? We're staying at the Narbona Wine Lodge, not the FS, though they share a common owner so perhaps it could easily be arranged. The idea of at least flying one way directly from Carmelo to AEP or EZE is appealing... especially since the day we leave Carmelo, we have a redeye from EZE-IAH, so if we can just get to EZE directly that would be ideal. $400/pp or less would be doable. More than that seems silly.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
We rented a car at MVD and drove (via Colonia). Not sure if you want/have to be in Bs.As., but that might be an option. There is plenty in Uruguay to hold your interest. If using miles to fly UA, you could probably switch to Copa and arrive MVD.

The FS was slightly underwhelming -- seemed more geared to Argentine families than anything else. Narbona was nice -- mainly a restaurant it seemed, but they were very friendly. We also enjoyed a stop at Irurtia, which I would recommend.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:33 pm

I'm sure you can get a shuttle from FS.

A private van from Colonia has a cost of U$D165-. (tax included), for two people. The other option is a regular van, with a cost of U$D132-. (tax included), for two people as well.

This is what FS quoted me for planes:

Private Flights
A) Departure from San Fernando Airport direct to Carmelo International Airport. This is a 30
minute trip. Cost from u$s 1150 one way
B) Departure from the International Airport Ezeiza (EZE) direct to Carmelo International
Airport. This is a 45 minute trip. Cost from u$s 1750 one way
C) Departure from Carrasco Airport in Montevideo direct to Carmelo International Airport. It is a
1 hour trip. Cost from u$s 1700 one way
D) Departure from Laguna del Sauce Airport in Punta del Este direct to Carmelo International
Airport. It is a 1.5 hour trip. Cost from u$s 2000 one way
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Writing this from the FS Carmelo.

we took the buquebus from Puerto Madero in BA to Colonia: there is a 1 hour express ferry and a 3 hour slow boat. The express boat is easy; need to arrive at the terminal one hour in advance.

FS arranged a shared van from Colonia to the FS (one other couple). As sedonanative said, it's $66/person. Narbona is only 5 kilometers away, so I'm sure they can book you the same. Heck, it's probably the same van!

As for the return, we are on the AA red eye from EZE-JFK and plan on taking the 5.15pm buquebus to Puerto Madero and taking a cab from there. With the time zone change, you arrive in BA at 5.15pm, in theory leaving plenty of time to get to the airport and checking out the AMEX lounge :-)

Btw, you will love Narbona. The food and wine is EXCELLENT!!!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Quick update having recently done the trip:

The FS arranged for a rental car company (Multicar - http://www.redmulticar.com/en/) to bring a VW Gol to the FS, with a return in Colonia. The Multicar agency in Colonia is only 1 block away from the Buquebus terminal. Our 3 days was $280 all in including total insurance (only the windshield isn't covered).

Taking the 17.15 Buquebus to Puerto Madero left plenty of time to get to EZE for the red-eye back. We left the FS at 3pm Uruguay time, and were in the EZE airport by 6.30pm Argentina time.

Our only frustration was that the AMEX lounge was closed for renovations, and the AA / IB lounge beyond packed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.