Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Hi All,

I think this thread may be due for an update. As a foreigner (Canadian), I’d like to share what I know and have experienced since my last trip to Venezuela, which is current dating from June 5, 2018. Being born and raised in Canada, having completed my university (medical) studies in Canada/USA, and working in Canada/USA, my perspective is westernized.

I usually visit Venezuela (VZL) about 1-2 a year and have been there six times. I have local friends that usually help me, but my last visit was done mainly on my own, with the help of the FT community! If anyone has any questions or concerns, I’d be more than willing and happy to answer them directly on this message board or via PM.

TRAVEL (How to get to VZL)
For the FT community, I think the available options shouldn’t be too difficult to find. I consider it outside the scope of this post. Nevertheless, if you have questions, please let me know. There are creative ways to get to VZL, such as using BOG/MDE/AUA/CUR/POS as entry points.

CURRENCY EXCHANGE (How to get local currency and how to use it)
The local currency in VZL is the bolivar (VEF). The official exchange rate (from USD to VEF) as of today, June 5, 2018, is 1$=80,000VEF. This is the exchange rate you will get if you use your foreign credit/debit card. The black market exchange rate, as of today, is 1$=1,600,000VEF – this rate changes daily (use DolarToday.com to check rates). Cash is hardly used in VZL. The only way to pay for goods, at the favorable exchange rate, is to use a local credit/debit card or local bank transfer. There are services offering the opportunity to borrow an individual’s credit/debit card and ID. I was using a woman’s ID and was successful 29/30 times with it. Only once, did I get rejected by the merchant because of my woman’s ID (I was buying a bottle of water). I went next door to another pharmacy and bought the bottle of water without a problem. There are daily debit and bank transfer limits depending on the bank you are using. If you would like more information, please PM.

Exchanging USD to VEF is done through local trustworthy contacts. I would never use someone I met on the street or didn’t know. If you want a local contact, PM me. You can Paypal/Uphold/Zelle the amount in USD, and these people will transfer you the equivalent amount in VEF to your Venezuelan bank account.

HOTEL (Where to stay)
I’ll keep this unique to Caracas. If you have any questions regarding other cities, please let me know. I would say the best place in Caracas to stay is the Hotel Renaissance Caracas La Castellana, a Marriott chain located in the affluent neighborhood of Altamira. Using the black market currency exchange, you would be looking at ~25-30$ a night for a regular room, ~35-40$ a night for a regular room with lounge access, and 45-50$ a night for a suite. Customer service is great and there is a nice restaurant on the first floor ($7-8 a meal) and a nice bar in the lobby ($1 a drink). For comparison, a meal at McDonalds/Subway/KFC runs for 1-2$. The Renaissance La Castellana also has a very nice pool/gym. For Western standards, I’d give this hotel a solid 4 stars. There are other options in the city such as the Embassy Suites by Hilton Caracas, InterContinental Tamanaco, and Gran Melia. Although I haven’t frequented these three hotels, from talking with locals and other foreigners, the Renaissance is the go-to place. Other options include 3-star hotels for about $5-10 a night, but I wouldn’t trust them.

According to government regulations, hotels can request that a foreigner pay in USD, and not in VEF. There are a couple of solutions to this: 1) A Venezuelan makes the booking in their name and checks in themselves, then gives you the room’s keys. 2) You book the hotel in your personal name and prepay in VEF the full amount via local bank transfer before arriving. I’d like to personally thank fellow FT member, Viajero Millero, for helping me with option #2 during my stay. If you have any questions, please either message Viajero Millero or myself. If using method #2 , there are some very important particularities with the check-out process. Please send me a PM and I’ll fill you in.

TRANSPORTATION (How to get from the airport to your final destination)
The local rate for a taxi going from the city center to the airport is ~5$; however, the taxi service should be prearranged. Prearranging a taxi is difficult unless a trustworthy local can help you. If you need help with this, I’d be more than happy to help – please PM.

SAFETY
I don’t necessarily think VZL is as dangerous as people make it out to be. Sure, you should be careful and not walk around with a gold Rolex and gold chain, but the same would hold true if you were walking some streets in NYC. Use common sense and you should be fine. Do not take one of the airport taxis, do not exchange dollars on the street, do not flaunt your wealth.

---

All in all, Venezuela is a beautiful place. Money goes a long way: Michelin restaurants for 10$, massages for 1$, manicure/pedicure for 1$, designer haircuts for 2$, etc… Beaches are beautiful, and Los Roques and Angel Falls are breathtaking. A potential great tourist destination…!
masonp123 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wow that is a really good and well put guide!!

I agree with everything you said and got to know some things I didnt know. TBH I have not gone back to my home country since '13. Everything has changed a lot and not for good.

did you get nights and points for the marriott stay?

Just a tip: exchange rate now is higher than dolartoday. Now it is more frequently used @monitordolarve which is a lot more than dolar today.

I am so glad you had a good time! I remember going to those places and Canaima and Salto Angel long time ago and having a blast.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Wow that is a really good and well put guide!!
Thanks!

did you get nights and points for the marriott stay?
On the Renaissance Marriott website, they mention that unless the hotel is paid in USD, no points will be awarded. I imagine since I paid in VEF, I unfortunately won't be getting any points. Nevertheless, I should soon know if points post - I'll let you know.

Just a tip: exchange rate now is higher than dolartoday. Now it is more frequently used @monitordolarve which is a lot more than dolar today.
I noticed a lot of brokers still referencing the lower DolarToday rate. But I agree, fishing around, the higher Monitor Dolar Ve rate is the norm.

Last edited by MDFFlyer; Jun 7, 2018 at 12:41 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Really interesting information on this thread. What was the feeling like "on the ground" in the richer areas of CCS? Were there shady characters hanging around during daytime? Did you feel comfortable walking the streets?
How busy were the bars and reataurants? What did locals advise to be the current no-go areas?
Is there any way to get your own debit card that would work in VZ and give the black-market rate?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:38 pm

The richer areas of CCS felt safe - I never felt threatened. I was staying at the Renaissance Caracas La Castellana hotel, probably the best hotel in CCS, and walked around quite a bit both to and from CC Sambil and CC San Ignacio (two higher end malls). At CC Sambil I got my hair cut, a manicure, and just walked around - I felt safe. If you know where to walk and where to go, you can have so much fun!

I’ll also add that as my driver and I were driving into Caracas from the airport, we were stopped at one of the routine roadblocks: the police took me aside (routine check), and asked for my ID (I have broken spanish). I gave it to them. They then searched my suitcase and handbag. I didn't bother hiding my USDs in my handbag; they were in a Wells Fargo envelope. They saw my Wells Fargo envelope with USD cash, opened it, saw $500, and said nothing. They then told me to have a nice day and off I went. Venezuela is not as corrupt/unsafe as people let it out to be. Just like in any other country/city there are good and bad neighborhoods.

Near PDVA La Estancia (cultural center), I did notice some young kids (10-12 years old) walking around with no shoes who looked like they hadn't showered in days. They looked homeless. Other than that, no shady characters. However, one thing that amazed me with Caracas this time around was the drastic decrease in traffic. From what locals told me, because 2-3 million people have left the country and with automobile parts being hard to find, there are now less cars on the streets.

Bars and restaurants were great. I went to Migas Cafe a lot, right infront of Altamira Suites. Each meal was what one would consider the monthly minimum wage in Venezuela. It was always quite packed. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to check out the "top" sit-down restaurants. However, last year I went to the 360 roof top bar/restaurant and it was quite busy. This time around, I didn't go bar hoping. I was content with staying at my hotel in the evening and having a few drinks at the bar. One night there was a wedding there with lots of people, other nights you would see 3-4 people at the bar enjoying life. I did get to mingle with quite a few people at the wedding. They told me they were going to go club/bar hoping all night and they invited me. Being the risk averse party-pooper I am, I politely declined, but apparently you can have a fantastic time at the reputable and safe bars/lounges/discos.

I mainly stayed in the Altamira/Chacao area and did make one short visit to Las Mercedes. These are considered the safer and more affluent parts of Caracas - the saying is to stay East of the city.

Yes, some people can lend you their debit card for a fee which gives you access to the black-market rate. With the current rate of 3,000,000VEF = 1$, cash pretty much is nonexistent. You need that local debit card.

Last edited by MDFFlyer; Jun 25, 2018 at 8:35 am Reason: Added anecdote of road block
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Thanks for the update MDF.

My guys in CCS will not allow me to travel..... I am pissed off but they say no way Jose

My best pals company in CCS is 100 years old next year and I want to go for the party. Hope things get better by then..
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
The richer areas of CCS felt safe - I never felt threatened. I was staying at the Renaissance Caracas La Castellana hotel, probably the best hotel in CCS, and walked around quite a bit both to and from CC Sambil and CC San Ignacio (two higher end malls). At CC Sambil I got my hair cut, a manicure, and just walked around - I felt safe. If you know where to walk and where to go, you can have so much fun!

I’ll also add that as my driver and I were driving into Caracas from the airport, we were stopped at one of the routine roadblocks: the police took me aside (routine check), and asked for my ID (I have broken spanish). I gave it to them. They then searched my suitcase and handbag. I didn't bother hiding my USDs in my handbag; they were in a Wells Fargo envelope. They saw my Wells Fargo envelope with USD cash, opened it, saw $500, and said nothing. They then told me to have a nice day and off I went. Venezuela is not as corrupt/unsafe as people let it out to be. Just like in any other country/city there are good and bad neighborhoods.

Near PDVA La Estancia (cultural center), I did notice some young kids (10-12 years old) walking around with no shoes who looked like they hadn't showered in days. They looked homeless. Other than that, no shady characters. However, one thing that amazed me with Caracas this time around was the drastic decrease in traffic. From what locals told me, because 2-3 million people have left the country and with automobile parts being hard to find, there are now less cars on the streets.

Bars and restaurants were great. I went to Migas Cafe a lot, right infront of Altamira Suites. Each meal was what one would consider the monthly minimum wage in Venezuela. It was always quite packed. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to check out the "top" sit-down restaurants. However, last year I went to the 360 roof top bar/restaurant and it was quite busy. This time around, I didn't go bar hoping. I was content with staying at my hotel in the evening and having a few drinks at the bar. One night there was a wedding there with lots of people, other nights you would see 3-4 people at the bar enjoying life. I did get to mingle with quite a few people at the wedding. They told me they were going to go club/bar hoping all night and they invited me. Being the risk averse party-pooper I am, I politely declined, but apparently you can have a fantastic time at the reputable and safe bars/lounges/discos.

I mainly stayed in the Altamira/Chacao area and did make one short visit to Las Mercedes. These are considered the safer and more affluent parts of Caracas - the saying is to stay East of the city.

Yes, some people can lend you their debit card for a fee which gives you access to the black-market rate. With the current rate of 3,000,000VEF = 1$, cash pretty much is nonexistent. You need that local debit card.
It's great to hear these firsthand insights. The Migas cafe and the two shopping centers sound like good spots to visit.

A few more questions came into my mind. What's the best way to arrange transport from the airport? Are there any peculiarlities to keep in mind when arriving, picking up baggage and exiting into the arrivals hall?

Inside bars and cafes, is it safe to take out your mobile?

Did you use the Caracas metro? Would you consider it safe to do so? If so to which areas?

How "normal" did the hotel feel? Was everthing operating as it should?

What are the key tourists sites to visit in the current security climate? Is the center no-go or can it be visited during daytime?

Thanks for your views!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
It's great to hear these firsthand insights. The Migas cafe and the two shopping centers sound like good spots to visit.
There are other more "chique" places to visit that give you the much more cultural touristy feel. Such places in Caracas that come to mind are El Avila National park, taking the teleferico, seeing different churches etc, but these things take time and energy to organize as you have to take public transit/taxi. I'm a party-pooper, so there are probably other neat and fun places to visit, but I'm not seeking them. I like Migas and the shopping centers because they are close in proximity to Altamira, where I usually stay, and easily walkable and safe.

A few more questions came into my mind. What's the best way to arrange transport from the airport?
In my opinion, the best way to arrange transportation from the airport is either through the hotel you're staying at (a reputable hotel) or have a trusted local/taxi come pick you up. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the airport taxis; although, I know a lot of people that take them without a problem. With my broken spanish, I probably wouldn't be able to navigate myself and take what is considered a "safe" taxi from the airport - if those truly exist.

Are there any peculiarlities to keep in mind when arriving, picking up baggage and exiting into the arrivals hall?
Not really. It was fairly standard. The only peculiarity was after they pick up your bag, they scan it through their machine and then you can pick it up and make it to the arrivals hall.

Inside bars and cafes, is it safe to take out your mobile?
Lots of people use their phones (Iphones, samsungs, etc.) inside bars and cafes. However, while walking on the street, you won't see many phones out in the open. Keep in mind I only went to the higher end malls/restaurants, so it may be different in the lower end places.

​​​​​​​
Did you use the Caracas metro? Would you consider it safe to do so? If so to which areas?
Taxis are so cheap. I tend to favor them over the metro. They get me from A->B much quicker. I didn't use the metro during my last visit, but I did use it in 2017. The metro reminded me of NYC rush hour. Tons and tons of people coming in and out. Apparently pickpockets run galore - just like any other busy metro city. Considering I haven't used the metro so much, I can't recommend which stations to use.

How "normal" did the hotel feel? Was everthing operating as it should?
Hotel was GREAT!! Solid 4-star hotel for American standards. Solid 5-star hotel for Venezuelan standards. Working water, food available, fantastic lounge, pool was nice, gym was great, people were competent, fully functional business center. Only issue was that they were missing a couple drinks at the bar, but this could happen anywhere.

What are the key tourists sites to visit in the current security climate? Is the center no-go or can it be visited during daytime?
I'm a party-pooper so I can't necessarily recommend any go-to tourist spots in Caracas. But within Venezuela you can find the most beautiful places... Los Roques, Angel Falls, beaches, etc... In Caracas, Avila National Park I really liked. The center you can check out in the daytime, but be cautious. Don't take your phone out, don't walk around with a rolex, and try not to walk too close to the street. Robbers in their motorcycles can sometimes drive by you, demand something, then drive away. Although my latter statement may sound scary, such things can happen in many countries. Just be careful when in the Caracas city center.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:24 am

Thanks. This information is useful.

About the subway, I heard it is "free" now as they do not have material to print paper tickets, so I can imagine that might worsen the pickpocket problem. But I live in Barcelona so I am well used to the pickpocket threat

I was also wondering did you see any other foreigners on your walkabouts or in the cafes, bars, hotels?

What were your interactions like with the locals and did anyone tell you it was foolish to visit? Or were they happy to see you?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:04 pm

Thanks. This information is useful.
You are welcome! I hope it encourages people to visit Venezuela. Venezuela isn't as gloomy for tourists as the media portrays it. On the contrary, for a tourist, I consider it a match made in heaven. It's the citizens, the ones working their tails off and getting paid in the local currency that are suffering horrendously.

About the subway, I heard it is "free" now as they do not have material to print paper tickets, so I can imagine that might worsen the pickpocket problem. But I live in Barcelona so I am well used to the pickpocket threat
Exactly, it's no different than any other place in the world - pickpockets are everywhere!

I was also wondering did you see any other foreigners on your walkabouts or in the cafes, bars, hotels?
I saw quite a few Chinese/Japanese people in Migas cafe. They were speaking either Chinese or Japanese and not Spanish. From what I was told, they were locals. Local Asians. I saw many of them with young babies/toddlers (2-3 years old).

I did overhear one gentleman who spoke British English at my hotel - he definitely didn't look Hispanic/Latino and from what I could tell, he had a guide with him, who was paying/talking for him in Spanish.

I met one Peruvian guy who spoke very good English. He was staying at my hotel and told me he was in town for business (he owns a food company). He was a very cool guy, and invited me to join him at a strip club at 2AM, but I politely declined.

I also met an American girl (I saw she had an American passport and a Venezuelan visa) - she had the blondest hair and the bluest eyes. From what I could eavesdrop, she was in Venezuela to visit Angel Falls.

I also saw a lot of Venezuelan immigrants who seemed to have come back to Venezuela for vacation to see family. They seemed to enjoy the "buying power" that their new life outside the country offered them - they could return to Venezuela for a short vacation and live like kings.

What were your interactions like with the locals and did anyone tell you it was foolish to visit? Or were they happy to see you?
My interactions were fine. I'm olive-skinned and have a Mediterranean look, so I think I blended in quite well. However, when I was genuinely seeking to have a conversation with someone (at a restaurant, at a bar, at the hotel lobby), the first thing that would come out of their mouth was: where are you from? I commonly asked why they didn't think I was Venezuelan. They all told me it was because of my Spanish accent (My Spanish is very broken). Soon thereafter, they would ask why I came to Venezuela and they would tell me to stay safe. I personally think much of the warnings local Venezuelans say about their own country is often overly gloomy. Most local Venezuelans can't afford to only eat at high end safe restaurants, to only hang out in high end bars, to only buy their food from high end malls or supermarkets. These people are forced to go to the less than safe areas to enjoy their activities because it is cheaper. This is my idea as to why local Venezuelans paint a very gloomy picture of their country, and rightfully so. If only 5-10% of the country can enjoy a good quality of life, and 90% of the population is considered "poor" (the old upper middle class is now considered poor) they have all the right to paint a gloomy picture of their country.

---

I feel like I may be taking too much real estate on this forum with our back-and-forth @HalconBCN. It may be better if you PM'ed me if you had any questions.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:25 pm

Very valuable insights. Good to hear your first hand experience and impressions. Also nice to know you weren't the only foreign tourist in Caracas.

I might indeed have a few questions more. Will PM.

Thanks MDF.
MDFFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:42 pm

FYI, no points for staying in Marriott property in Venezuela, unless paid for in US dollars.

Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
FYI, no points for staying in Marriott property in Venezuela, unless paid for in US dollars.

Well not really a surprise since the points are more valuable that the local currency.

did you get elite nights?

I remember I used to pay around $10 for a suite at Intercontinental Tamanaco and get around 4,000 per night or more LOL. Good times.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:36 pm

Well not really a surprise since the points are more valuable that the local currency.
Haha, fair point (!) unfortunately

did you get elite nights?
I think I should be able to get them... but I keep on e-mailing Marriott and they keep on responding with: "As per our last conversation, staying in Venezuela Marriott properties, does not qualify for earning point credits." However, unless I don't understand the terms and conditions, elite nights aren't point credits... I'll have to pick up the phone and call Marriott and clarify this with them.

I remember I used to pay around $10 for a suite at Intercontinental Tamanaco and get around 4,000 per night or more LOL. Good times.
That's an amazing rate! Suites at the Intercontinental Tamanaco run for $25-30 atm, but always fluctuating. The current prices are at the higher end with the recent DICOM rate increase while the DT rate has stayed fairly constant the past month.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:50 am

Is cryptocurrency getting more popular in Venezuela?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.