Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:14 pm
Suspended

So Los Roques is doable but I should skip Angel Falls?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
So Los Roques is doable but I should skip Angel Falls?
You should skip them all.

Your choice is like getting behind the wheel of a car when you're pretty wasted, and getting behind the wheel of a car when you're really wasted, and also, blind.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You should skip them all.

Your choice is like getting behind the wheel of a car when you're pretty wasted, and getting behind the wheel of a car when you're really wasted, and also, blind.
Los Roques, while part of Venezuela, is an island off the coast. That's why I'm asking. I thought it was pretty well shielded from most of the crime on the mainland.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Los Roques, while part of Venezuela, is an island off the coast. That's why I'm asking. I thought it was pretty well shielded from most of the crime on the mainland.
Yes, it is much better than mailand in terms of crime. However the rest of the crisis still applies. Thats why at this point I dont recommend it.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:43 pm
Suspended

And now I'm reading that the small planes to Los Roques sometimes crash. That's a bummer.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
And now I'm reading that the small planes to Los Roques sometimes crash. That's a bummer.
Planes may crash anywhere in the world. Scheduled flights to los Roques haven't crashed to my knowledge, private planes yes.

Los Roques is very laid-down and quiet, but most of the business there is cash, be it food or boat rental. I suggest you wait until the new currency bills are introduced. Currently it's pretty much impossible to travel Venezuela without a local debit card, which won't work at most places in los Roques neither. The problem with los roques is getting there. The airlines flying there are unreliable and you might get stranded in Maiquetia or Higuerote without any help from the airline.

Canaima (angel falls) is also quite a safe place as you can get there only by air. However, usually you do have to change planes in Ciudad Bolivar which is one of the hot spots of recent unrest. As long as your flights work as scheduled no problem, but again if you get stuck there better be prepared with a plan B.

As for your initial comments about visiting Colombia abd Venezuela, you are aware that land crossing is currently not possible. You have to fly into Venezuela.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the reply, friends. I was planning a trip to Venezuela in a couple of days, I might have to change plans. I was in Caracas in April 2016 and September 2015 and spent a great couple of weeks.

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Recently a person we knew was murdered. He lived in Miami and went to visit his parents. They tried to rob him and was shot twice in the head...

Avoid Venezuela at all cost
I am sorry to hear, lotrbfme. However, if you are from the area, shouldn't you know where you should and shouldn't be? What area was he/she in?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA
Also, IIRC, US citizens need a visa to travel to Venezuela.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Also, IIRC, US citizens need a visa to travel to Venezuela.
Correct.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:13 pm

2018 now. Any update on this thread? Potentially planning a trip for the end of May 2018.

Would an AirBnB be safe? I'm looking at a place like this, for example: https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/16983654...sts=1&adults=1

Last edited by MDFFlyer; May 11, 2018 at 7:49 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 10:11 pm

Venezuelan here. Things have gotten worse, not necessarily crime wise but definitely....misery wise. Skinnier people, emptier streets, more closed businesses.

An AirBnB can be tempting but unless you have a solid support group in town it's the LAST thing I would do. Definitely reconsider a hotel.

Especially chain hotels, although not the cheapest (by Venezuelan standards) those will be the most foreigner-friendly places. In Caracas you have Marriott, IHG, Hilton, Pestana, Meliá...do those.

You're looking at earning points and nights for 40-50 dollars in full-service hotels. Previously only possible in places like India or Mexico, there's an edge for this community.

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
How are things now?
Since 2016? Probably like 3000% worse. Like the dollar exchange rate.

Last edited by Viajero Millero; May 11, 2018 at 10:15 pm Reason: Add 2016 quote
Old May 12, 2018, 5:15 pm

Thanks for the honest reply!

As far as getting from the airport to the city, any suggestions? Or any suggestions when its comes to exchanging my USDs for bolivars? In the past, I've always had friends pick me up and help me exchange my USDs, but this time I'll be going solo for the first time.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:12 am

Feel free to send me a PM. This goes beyond the scope of the thread.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:47 am

I think that if anyone is planning on travelling to Venezuela needs to take into consideration many aspects, on one hand, due to currency exchange rate you may stay in the best hotel, at in the best restaurants and have no problems living and visiting around the country (something that Venezuelans can not, not even buy food for everyday meals). On the other hand insecurity is a real issue, you can no walk freely, there is always the risk of been robbed and killed for a phone, camera or shoes.
Venezuela is a beautiful country suffering hopefully not for much more time...
Old May 21, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by RM Sciortino
I think that if anyone is planning on travelling to Venezuela needs to take into consideration many aspects, on one hand, due to currency exchange rate you may stay in the best hotel, at in the best restaurants and have no problems living and visiting around the country (something that Venezuelans can not, not even buy food for everyday meals). On the other hand insecurity is a real issue, you can no walk freely, there is always the risk of been robbed and killed for a phone, camera or shoes.
Venezuela is a beautiful country suffering hopefully not for much more time...
yes, you can stay for almost nothing at very good hotels, however even the best hotels do not always have all selection of food and your only way of paying in order to get best value for money is via local debit card or prepayment from a local bank account. Another aspect is that most hotels will not allow foreigners w/o work permit to pay in local currency, in some cases you are allowed 1 night, otherwise with few exceptions you need a local paying for (and officially staying with) you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.