Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Any updates for 2016? It seems like the country is near collapse and people are getting mugged even at the airport.
The situation securitywise is similar to last year. You have to be careful, but especially in more rural areas you are ok. People are indeed waiting for a change in policy. Shortages and very large queues to get some basic commodities are the rule. However if you have money and know the right people you get almost everything. There are power outages all over the country usually two hours once or twice a day.

Regarding your question about cheap flights, the haydays where you could buy in local currency are over, however due to low passenger volumes I guess, there were very recently some interesting fares from Europe to CCS for around 500 euros, but not really MR material. Life in Venezuela is cheap. A meal cost about 3-4 dollars, hotels have increased their prices, but you still get good accomodation for around 40-50 dollars.

Last edited by MarLim; Apr 13, 2016 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:49 am

I went to Caracas about a month ago. Generally I would say it's still fine if: 1. you have a connection to deal with currency exchange, 2. you speak at least intermediate Spanish, 3. you stick to the eastern part of Caracas and during daytime hours. Going out at night is still fine in the eastern area in radio taxis. I was told off a few times by my Venezuelan acquaintances for not being as cautious as I should have (I walked a few times in Chacao at night since it was just a few blocks, pulling out a phone briefly during daylight, etc, going to El Hatillo by myself). The shortages are getting more acute and starting to affect even the nicer places (for instance not offering any fried dishes on the menu due to not having oil for frying, or a limited selection of beer or soft drinks). I think you could still have an interesting time, but don't really think it's the best place to go if you don't have a specific reason for going. A lot of areas end up closed off due to protests and it can feel a little weird enjoying yourself at a restaurant where even a cheap meal is a week's pay for the average person and a line of 100 people is outside your window waiting to buy flour.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles and More, Delta SkyMiles
-blank

Last edited by anonymous13536; Aug 14, 2021 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:36 pm

Talking

-blank

Last edited by anonymous13536; Aug 14, 2021 at 7:55 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by legoboyvdlp
Not really recommended for anybody to come at the moment.
If you must come, please find a friend that speaks both languages.
I live in the country, and it's still not good.
Is it worst than it was in March? I came in March and had a nice couple days in Avila and at the beach clubs.

Last edited by MDFFlyer; Jul 30, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Is it worst than it was in March? I came in March and had a nice couple days in Avila at at the beach clubs.
It depends what you understand as "worse". It's getting more expensive as the black market exchange rate stagnates since a couple of months but inflation continuous on fast path. Security wise it's the same, but for locals it's getting more and more difficult to find food and hygiene products, not to talk about medicines. If you live in hotels and restaurants this will not affect you differently than in March. I was in Venezuela in early July. The only other aspects to consider are: there are more and more ATMs without money especially outside of Caracas and police at control posts are trying harder to extorsionate some of your dollars. Just don't give in and you're fine.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:07 am

-blank

Last edited by anonymous13536; Aug 14, 2021 at 7:57 am
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:38 am

Regarding the 'don't give in', be careful how you do it, as the police are sometimes the biggest criminals around. The blue ones (state police) are usually okay, especially the older ones, that remember how Venezuela used to be... a friendly country. Everyone respected eachother. The young trainees tend to be worse.
True. The ones I had to deal with a couple of times were GNB, guardia nacional. I wouldn't say the ones trying to get money, although without asking directly, were criminals. They are probably acting out of necessity. They are trying to convince you that you don't know the laws or that laws recently have changed. However once they realize that you do know the laws and that you could act against them if they act illegally against you, they change attitude and wish you a happy trip. Probably to try it with the next one ...
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Personal experience: booked 3 tickets LH business for $360 total. All included.
Today, all you can buy in is dollars, but even so, I can buy a ticket CCS-MIA-ORD-DUB-LHR-JFK-MIA for $1500.
Hey lego nice to see you here, i saw your blog about some months ago. Yep, i even got some LH F seats back in the day. Was enough to qualify for Star Alliance Gold just doing a CCS-FRA LH F through Aegean program.

It is getting worse, i live full time at Venezuela and it's more acute. Right now i'm living a few months in the states, and starting the going in/back process as it is more safe for me to remain in the US as long as possible. I have stayed in Venezuela all of my life, i well, as might move somewhere by next year.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:53 am

CCS-FLL by Dynamic is scheduled to stop August 13th. Dynamic declined comment. They will continue to fly CCS-JFK for now.

http://www.newsamericasnow.com/dynam...racas-service/
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:51 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dtokuda
I went to Caracas about a month ago. Generally I would say it's still fine if: 1. you have a connection to deal with currency exchange, 2. you speak at least intermediate Spanish, 3. you stick to the eastern part of Caracas and during daytime hours.
Did you exchange money in otherwise closed delis and shoe stores, too? Even though you mentioned you had connections, that's how I did it back in early 2015.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:26 am

How are things now?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
How are things now?
Worst than ever. There is a lot of chaos because of the change of bills and now there is shortage of cash in the streets, credit cards are not working all the time, so theres a lot of looting. Recently a person we knew was murdered. He lived in Miami and went to visit his parents. They tried to rob him and was shot twice in the head...

Avoid Venezuela at all cost
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:39 pm
Suspended

I was planning to visit Colombia and Venezuela. In Venezuela, was hoping to go to Los Roques and then maybe Angel Falls. Doable? Or Not? Can I buy things in US Dollars? Do US credit cards work?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
I was planning to visit Colombia and Venezuela. In Venezuela, was hoping to go to Los Roques and then maybe Angel Falls. Doable? Or Not? Can I buy things in US Dollars? Do US credit cards work?
Los roques and angel falls, are top destinations in the world. In los roques in most places you should be able to use USD in cash. Credit cards are accepted but they will charge you an exchange rate of 672 Bs per USD, when in reallity it is about 3000 Bs per USD. It is recommended to bring cash and use that or exchange it to someone you KNOW. Make all plans and arrangements before getting to Los Roques, and make sure the hotels have food, water, electricity and everything is fine. Angel Falls, if a whole different thing. You should be able to get a plane from Los roques to Canaima (at least it was available in the past). Or if not you will have to do like 2 stopovers.

This is not the time to go to Venezuela for 2 reasons:

1.- There are no currency bills in the country, the highest denomination bill "100bs" (about 4cents in USD) is getting a recall and is not gonna be valid soon. SO if you were to exchange 100 Dollars into Bs they will give you a bag with 12,000 20bs bills! Insane, and it wont last you for much... (remember credit cards are not working and the places were it works it is at a very very bad exchange rate).

2.- Due to the bill recall there are huge lines and chaos to return it in time. And since the bill is so low in value people have TONS and TONS, not even kidding! This has spark riots everywhere and looting, since people LITERALLY dont have cash or credit card access to pay for food, and other goods. There has been many lootings. It is important to note that the most severe protest and looting are in Bolivar state which is where angel's falls are.

Hope this helps.

Sources:

My family, friends in the country

https://twitter.com/OSACState/status...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.36f658a0abb7

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38336054

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...121211488.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.