Reload this Page >

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Can anyone help me with clarification on the rules?

I have a girlfriend's mother who is Venezuelan who hasn't been back to VZ in sometime. She just got her new VZ passport (Took a year) and now these new restrictions are starting to add majorly to the confusion.

She has a valid US Green Card (Been in the states for 10+ years) and her VZ passport.

Can she travel unrestricted from the US to VZ and back? If it helps, she is making a separate connection in Aruba to fly into MAR and back.
Yes that is completely fine. Im doing this trip myself in a couple months and I am in a similar situation. As long as she has her VZ passport she can even take an automatic machine and skip the regular immigration lines
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:30 pm

Hello,

The city is still pretty unsafe, but as long as you follow common sense everything will be okay. You should stick to the East and Central neighborhoods (the nice area), and avoid visiting the West of Caracas. The hotel staff is able to tell you where to go and when. Be cautious and do not explore if you have no Venezuelan friends.

I speak Spanish, English, German and Russian. I have foreign friends who explore the city and have no problems at all. They are careful though. There are just some places that no one goes to. If you go to the chic area of Caracas, it will be fine.

There are a lot of things going in Caracas. A lot of communities and different ethnic and cultural groups can be found in Caracas and it gives the city its special character. The gap among groups and communities may be high. Not only the gap between the rich and poor, just in general. You will notice.

If you want to contact me to make me questions about Caracas:
www.facebook.com/vicenquintero
www.instagram.com/vicentequintero
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VicenteQuintero
Hello,

The city is still pretty unsafe, but as long as you follow common sense everything will be okay. You should stick to the East and Central neighborhoods (the nice area), and avoid visiting the West of Caracas. The hotel staff is able to tell you where to go and when. Be cautious and do not explore if you have no Venezuelan friends.

I speak Spanish, English, German and Russian. I have foreign friends who explore the city and have no problems at all. They are careful though. There are just some places that no one goes to. If you go to the chic area of Caracas, it will be fine.

There are a lot of things going in Caracas. A lot of communities and different ethnic and cultural groups can be found in Caracas and it gives the city its special character. The gap among groups and communities may be high. Not only the gap between the rich and poor, just in general. You will notice.

If you want to contact me to make me questions about Caracas:
www.facebook.com/vicenquintero
www.instagram.com/vicentequintero
Eres familia de Valentina Quintero?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Thanks Vicente.. heading there next month..
Old Apr 10, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Any updates for 2016? It seems like the country is near collapse and people are getting mugged even at the airport.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:15 pm

What would be the purpose of your visit? And how long of a stay are you considering?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
What would be the purpose of your visit? And how long of a stay are you considering?
Just for leisure / mileage run -- wondering if the airline companies will discount tickets as the Venezuelan currency is low/hyper-inflated -- am I out of my mind?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Just for leisure / mileage run -- wondering if the airline companies will discount tickets as the Venezuelan currency is low/hyper-inflated -- am I out of my mind?
You are out of your mind. And I don't believe any foreign (as in not from Venezuela) carriers will sell you a ticket in local currency. Flights have been curtailed. You won't get the deal you're looking for. Besides, the big currency leverage comes from non-official means. Didn't Venezuela also slap a Visa requirement on "us?"
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:00 am

Yes. You are 3 years late to this. Then you could buy a RTW ticket in F, in local currency, for what's now the equivalent of $80.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You are out of your mind. And I don't believe any foreign (as in not from Venezuela) carriers will sell you a ticket in local currency. Flights have been curtailed. You won't get the deal you're looking for. Besides, the big currency leverage comes from non-official means. Didn't Venezuela also slap a Visa requirement on "us?"
Indeed, you need a visa now too. My advise is to MR to other countries with better airports and less turmoil.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Yes. You are 3 years late to this. Then you could buy a RTW ticket in F, in local currency, for what's now the equivalent of $80.

Indeed, you need a visa now too. My advise is to MR to other countries with better airports and less turmoil.
Yes 3 years late... I have a friend who has like 4MM just by buying cheap tickets on IB to spain and back. He went there every weekend for very very very cheap.

Right now its the worst possible time to visit. The airport doesnt even have water and electricity only 20% of the time. The airport is hot as hell because the A/C is always off. 50% of the lights are off and there has been several murders recently outside the terminal. There are no longer shortages... now there is nothing...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:39 pm

Any updates for 2016? It seems like the country is near collapse and people are getting mugged even at the airport.
Where did you hear that? Things are getting even safer at the airport. They recently banned motorists from the airport.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Where did you hear that? Things are getting even safer at the airport. They recently banned motorists from the airport.
They banned motorists because of a murder and guest what? A week later another murder happened. The ban did not work like everything else thats been done recently. Murder rate is skyrocket
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
They banned motorists because of a murder and guest what? A week later another murder happened. The ban did not work like everything else thats been done recently. Murder rate is skyrocket
Oh wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for clarifying.

Where exactly are these murders occurring? Inside the terminal or just outside where the arrival taxis/buses are?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Oh wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for clarifying.

Where exactly are these murders occurring? Inside the terminal or just outside where the arrival taxis/buses are?
On arrivals just outside the buildings and another one in the parking lot.

this is one of them: http://www.elimpulso.com/noticias/su...o-en-maiquetia

and this is the failed attempt to ban motorcycles:

http://efectococuyo.com/principales/...os-y-buhoneros
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
On arrivals just outside the buildings and another one in the parking lot.

this is one of them: http://www.elimpulso.com/noticias/su...o-en-maiquetia

and this is the failed attempt to ban motorcycles:

http://efectococuyo.com/principales/...os-y-buhoneros
Oh no, how sad, and to think I was at Maiquetia just a few weeks ago feeling "safer" than the last time I was there considering I thought motorcycle bans were actually being enforced.

I see on that link/map you you provided that the tourist got murdered just outside the National Terminal:

http://efectococuyo.com/wp-content/u...aeropuerto.jpg

Thank you very much @lotrbfme for the information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.