Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Current safety assessment of Venezuela?

Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jammanxc
When was the last time an American tourist was murdered in Venezuela?
I have no idea. And that wouldn't be my standard of travel safety. "I probably won't get murdered, so it is ok to go."

I went to Mexico City many times during the height of kidnappings and other "avoid the city" crimes, when many stayed away for years.

I went to Rio during the worst of its hyperinflation and rampant "stay away" crime when tourists were avoiding it in droves.

I will not travel to Venezuela for the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Yes, you are kind of crazy. I live in Venezuela and i would not not advice people to come here. The stories are not a hyperbole, i live them everyday. It is not as dark or impossible as people point out but a trip to Venezuela should be meticulously planned and tirelessly researched, well in advance. Our current ticket situation, exchange, security just makes daily normal little things in most countries a hassle here. Unless you have a very good reason to travel here, or really really desire to. My advice would be the one shared with most FT'ers that is a risk for you to come here.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
http://caracas.usembassy.gov/death_us_citizen.html

If I die, I die.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:29 pm

Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:36 pm

Probably not recently because most people have enough common sense not to go there.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the many responses folks! Much appreciated!

To clarify a bit, I can see that my OP made it sound a little like I would just fly there and sort it out - no, no, I'm not THAT crazy. I do recognize if this were something I did, it would be meticulously planned in advance (including exit strategy if ALL North American flights cease). As much as I would like to see/do more there, as I understand it to be a beautiful country, I know at this time it would be a "fly into Merida-do tour-get out" sort of thing. Why would I even consider it now? Because there is no guarantee "later" will be "better".

Murder rates are a stat I have difficulties with - Belize has a higher rate than Columbia (44.7 vs 30.8 respectively), yet most people I know would feel considerably "safer" travelling to Belize ... probably because the number of actual murders was 145 vs 14,670. And fair or not, Afganistan doesn't generally rate highly as a "safe" travel choice in public opinion, but it has relatively peaceful rate of 6.5 and 1,948. (As an aside, I especially liked the dangerously high murder rate of 33.6 in Saint Kitts and Nevis ... due to 18 murders.) So, no, my travel decisions will never be made solely on that.

There are many other considerations that will likely delay this trip for me (language skills, issues with currency, and the instability of airlines probably being the biggest). That and I get easily distracted with new travel plans!

One question for Eastbay1K, out of curiosity, what is it about this situation that makes Venezuela a no-go for you? It seems like you have a different "danger" threshold, seems to me that you might have advised I stay away, but that you'd be comfortable going.

So thank you, everyone for your input! Much appreciated! And please, llboyd and jammanxc come back and provide feed back on your trips!!!

Last edited by nomadic.relief; Jul 13, 2014 at 11:12 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:39 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you want to give yourself more airline certainty then fly into RCH and get the bus to Venezuela. Likewise as the potential exit strategy that you mention. It can be an option of you fly into Venezuela to get back out that way. Only thing to consider is that Colombia and Venezuela do not have a glowing relationship and occasionally (only about once a year) one of the two countries throws its toys out of their pram and closes the border.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:49 am

Just found this, not an american but a german tourist was murdered in February: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1621020140207
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:51 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0FG2BJ20140711
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Thanks for the many responses folks! Much appreciated!

To clarify a bit, I can see that my OP made it sound a little like I would just fly there and sort it out - no, no, I'm not THAT crazy. I do recognize if this were something I did, it would be meticulously planned in advance (including exit strategy if ALL North American flights cease). As much as I would like to see/do more there, as I understand it to be a beautiful country, I know at this time it would be a "fly into Merida-do tour-get out" sort of thing. Why would I even consider it now? Because there is no guarantee "later" will be "better".

Murder rates are a stat I have difficulties with - Belize has a higher rate than Columbia (44.7 vs 30.8 respectively), yet most people I know would feel considerably "safer" travelling to Belize ... probably because the number of actual murders was 145 vs 14,670. And fair or not, Afganistan doesn't generally rate highly as a "safe" travel choice in public opinion, but it has relatively peaceful rate of 6.5 and 1,948. (As an aside, I especially liked the dangerously high murder rate of 33.6 in Saint Kitts and Nevis ... due to 18 murders.) So, no, my travel decisions will never be made solely on that.

There are many other considerations that will likely delay this trip for me (language skills, issues with currency, and the instability of airlines probably being the biggest). That and I get easily distracted with new travel plans!

One question for Eastbay1K, out of curiosity, what is it about this situation that makes Venezuela a no-go for you? It seems like you have a different "danger" threshold, seems to me that you might have advised I stay away, but that you'd be comfortable going.

So thank you, everyone for your input! Much appreciated! And please, llboyd and jammanxc come back and provide feed back on your trips!!!
Fly into Merida touring and out is not so easy these days. Merida flights are prone to cancellations. I made the route Caracas-Merida about 2 months back by car. Good Quality road but I did it with a blinded car and a backup car. I would not recommend renting any normal car and just drive by yourself especially if you don't speak Spanish. With some security measures as I mentioned you can still travel in Venezuela, however be aware that dangers do exist. In any case you have to prebook hotels and should only go to reliable places. If you decide to go have fun and protect yourself.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't let murder rates put you off as they are misleading when it comes to tourist safety.

I know a few Argentines who used to holiday regularly in Venezuela but stopped going a few years ago. Although they recognised their safety wasn't as guaranteed as it once was it was other hassles that stopped them going such as tour operators not offering packages to the country.

I would love to visit but not while the clowns who are currently in power are in place.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I would love to visit but not while the clowns who are currently in power are in place.
Well there's one from the "I have my own clowns, why go to see other clowns" department!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
No, I would not be comfortable going. In my previous travel history posted,
(1) getting currency was never an issue.
(2) US Consular services in the event of some unforeseen events were never an issue.
(3) Disruption or elimination of travel services were never an issue.
(4) The ability to stay in very safe facilities, use safe transit, and stay within relatively secure areas, especially when going out at night, were never an issue.

I also have no current desire to go, and probably won't for quite some time. I've also spoken with enough people over the past several years in Argentina and Chile that live or lived in Venezuela (everything from a friend of a friend around the dinner table, to casual chat in an ice cream shop waiting in line) to make me not want to go.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well there's one from the "I have my own clowns, why go to see other clowns" department!
Indeed.....going from one madhouse to one even madder.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No, I would not be comfortable going. In my previous travel history posted,
(1) getting currency was never an issue.
(2) US Consular services in the event of some unforeseen events were never an issue.
(3) Disruption or elimination of travel services were never an issue.
(4) The ability to stay in very safe facilities, use safe transit, and stay within relatively secure areas, especially when going out at night, were never an issue.

I also have no current desire to go, and probably won't for quite some time. I've also spoken with enough people over the past several years in Argentina and Chile that live or lived in Venezuela (everything from a friend of a friend around the dinner table, to casual chat in an ice cream shop waiting in line) to make me not want to go.
Fair enough! Thanks for answering!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.