Reload this Page >

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows nationals of designated member participants to travel to the United States for tourism or business (B visa category) purposes for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa.

On February 28, 2014, Chile was designated as a member of the Visa Waiver Program, bringing the total to 38 countries. Beginning May 1, 2014, Chilean nationals may travel to the United States under the VWP.

Chilean travellers to the US no longer need a visa but must pay the US $14 ESTA fee; passport holders from certain countries may travel without visas, so long as their passports meet certain requirements. Link to USCBP ESTA application web page.

Chilean passport holders should note: only an electronic passport or e-passport (one with a chip that holds biographical data) will be accepted for the VWP. These have been issued in Chile since Sept. 2, 2013. Link to US Embassy in Santiago web pages with further information

US Passport holders visiting Chile are exempt (as of 26 Feb 2014) from the visa reciprocity fee of US $160 paid previously (for a multiple entry visa valid for the life of the passport in which it is entered); Link to SCL Airport site stating reciprocity fee no longer collected from US passport holders (reciprocity still applies to Albanians, Australians, Canadians and Mexicans - link).

Canadian passport holders are now exempted from recipripocity fees 11 Jan 2015)

Link to TIMATIC Web offered by Star Alliance to check visa requirements.

Earlier, speculative posts (prior to announcement and implementation) may be found in End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee? [Archival].
Print Wikipost

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
C15

http://impresa.elmercurio.com/Pages/...=3&PaginaId=15
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
So I guess I can now frame my reciprocity document and display it as an antique – nice.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
UPDATE: As of the morning 11/28 5:30 am local time. The Canadian Flags were all posted on the Reciprocity Signs (however all the booths were closed to ask). Seems to me its still active for the Canadians..
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
UPDATE: As of the morning 11/28 5:30 am local time. The Canadian Flags were all posted on the Reciprocity Signs (however all the booths were closed to ask). Seems to me its still active for the Canadians..
The Chilean government is moving more slowly to end the reciprocity fee for Canadians than they did earlier this year with the same fee for American citizens.

The reason is political. In February, the (right of center) Piñera government eliminated the fee for Americans as soon as they were certain that the US government would admit Chileans to the US under the Visa Waiver Program. They were motivated by the fact that the political party of Piñera had already been voted out of power and (left of center) Michelle Bachelet was within two weeks of taking office as President. Piñera's haste to eliminate the fee was simply part of his effort to take as much credit as possible for the new visa-free freedom of Chileans to travel to the US, and to deny same to Bachelet.

There is no similar election-cycle pressure on Bachelet, so they're not moving as rapidly. Nevertheless, Canadians planning to travel to Chile can rest assured that the fee will be promptly eliminated. For the Chilean government it was never a revenue enhancing scheme, as many FlyerTalk posters have suggested over the years.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:21 pm

Has anyone been through SCL in the past couple of days and seen if the Canadian reciprocity fee has been dropped? Its more than 15 days since Canada dropped the visa requirement for Chileans so I'm hoping the reciprocity fee is gone.

If anyone has been in SCL, I'd be grateful for an update.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jimmac
Has anyone been through SCL in the past couple of days and seen if the Canadian reciprocity fee has been dropped? Its more than 15 days since Canada dropped the visa requirement for Chileans so I'm hoping the reciprocity fee is gone.

Yes, I was there on Thursday Evening December 4th and unfortunately the Canadian Flas was still flying on the Reciprocity signs. Upthread, someone had mentioned that this one may be a little slower than the Fast Deletion of the USA Fee in March 2014. Good Luck and Safe Travels..
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmac

There was a press account in Santiago a couple of weeks ago to the effect that the government was going to issue a decree dropping the fee "soon", which of course could mean any time in the next few months. With the summer tourism season coming soon I expect that the government will move on this before Christmas.

I will be flying into SCL on Saturday and will provide an update then.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Update

I flew into SCL on an international flight arriving today (Friday) mid-afternoon. They are still charging the reciprocity fee for Canadian citizens.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:58 pm

Reports that Canadian fee removed as of today.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 21, 2015 at 10:18 am Reason: Add bolding
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if the elimination of the $160 fee will boost tourism to Chile. I just booked my family of 4 for a trip later this year. We've been to Chile several times and, honestly, I probably would have looked at another vacation destination if I had to fork over $640 for us to enter the country. So they've got at least 4 more tourists this year.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
I wonder if the elimination of the $160 fee will boost tourism to Chile. I just booked my family of 4 for a trip later this year. We've been to Chile several times and, honestly, I probably would have looked at another vacation destination if I had to fork over $640 for us to enter the country. So they've got at least 4 more tourists this year.
I don't think that this was widely announced in US media, so I doubt it will have a significant effect (unless these are PAX that know how to access TIMATIC and see this in TINEWS.)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I don't think that this was widely announced in US media, so I doubt it will have a significant effect (unless these are PAX that know how to access TIMATIC and see this in TINEWS.)
Since moving here in 2009 I know of quite a few people who were excited to come but then had an additional $500 or more to add to their budget when they learned of the reciprocity fee and decided to go elsewhere. I don't think that there's going to be a significant gain to Chile's tourism just because of the elimination of the fee, but it certainly can't hurt.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zpaul
Since moving here in 2009 I know of quite a few people who were excited to come but then had an additional $500 or more to add to their budget when they learned of the reciprocity fee and decided to go elsewhere. I don't think that there's going to be a significant gain to Chile's tourism just because of the elimination of the fee, but it certainly can't hurt.
Does Chile release annual tourist numbers, by nationality? It will be interesting to see if the fee elimination makes a difference. I kind of think it will, but not dramatically. Let's face it: the average American doesn't have a clue about int'l travel. One step above that person is the typical traveler who would arrive at SCL and be surprised that they had to fork over $160 to enter the country.

That said, FREQUENT South American travelers -- and these people undoubtedly make up a larger percentage of total S.A. travelers -- know about these fees, and a significant percentage of this group would at least consider the fee cost when deciding whether a visit was "worth it." For families, the Chilean fee was particularly nasty because -- in addition to having to pay for each traveler (when you have a family, $160 a pop adds up), the entry sticker was only good for the life of the passport. USA childrens' passports are only good for 5 years. You can see the disincentive.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Does Chile release annual tourist numbers, by nationality?
The INE (Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas) publishes a very complete report each year. The 2014 report isn't available yet, but here's the link to 2013's:

http://www.ine.cl/canales/chile_esta...rismo_2013.pdf
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zpaul
The INE (Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas) publishes a very complete report each year. The 2014 report isn't available yet, but here's the link to 2013's:

http://www.ine.cl/canales/chile_esta...rismo_2013.pdf
I guess we'll take a look at that next year and see if the North American arrivals numbers change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.