Reload this Page >

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows nationals of designated member participants to travel to the United States for tourism or business (B visa category) purposes for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa.

On February 28, 2014, Chile was designated as a member of the Visa Waiver Program, bringing the total to 38 countries. Beginning May 1, 2014, Chilean nationals may travel to the United States under the VWP.

Chilean travellers to the US no longer need a visa but must pay the US $14 ESTA fee; passport holders from certain countries may travel without visas, so long as their passports meet certain requirements. Link to USCBP ESTA application web page.

Chilean passport holders should note: only an electronic passport or e-passport (one with a chip that holds biographical data) will be accepted for the VWP. These have been issued in Chile since Sept. 2, 2013. Link to US Embassy in Santiago web pages with further information

US Passport holders visiting Chile are exempt (as of 26 Feb 2014) from the visa reciprocity fee of US $160 paid previously (for a multiple entry visa valid for the life of the passport in which it is entered); Link to SCL Airport site stating reciprocity fee no longer collected from US passport holders (reciprocity still applies to Albanians, Australians, Canadians and Mexicans - link).

Canadian passport holders are now exempted from recipripocity fees 11 Jan 2015)

Link to TIMATIC Web offered by Star Alliance to check visa requirements.

Earlier, speculative posts (prior to announcement and implementation) may be found in End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee? [Archival].
Print Wikipost

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by beckoa

Well this figures I guess as I just booked a bus ride MDZ-SCL partially to avoid this fee for tomorrow. But will make visiting IPC a bit cheaper ^
That is a worthwhile bus ride anyway, beckoa. The switchbacks are hard to believe.

Take along some food and water for the trip, it is a little long. You may have to ditch some foods at the border crossing, though, just show the customs guys.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Dilatory / off topic posts have been deleted. Please keep this on topic.

A Wikipost has been added for ease of members who want the meat of the information without reading through the posts.

Earlier, speculative posts (prior to announcement and implementation) may be found in End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee? [Archival].

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 2, 2014 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Fantastic..

Originally Posted by BlassSJU
From personal exp, As of Feb 26, SCL is no longer charging the reciprocity for US citizens.
Thanks for the update! I will be there later in the week.. Did not know. Very impressed on the fast removal of the Fee for US Passport Holders..

Safe Travels
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:51 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Does anybody know what the exact immigration procedure is going to be for US Citizens upon arrival at SCL....? Wonder if they will be doing anything similar to the US procedures of photo and fingerprinting, etc...?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Does anybody know what the exact immigration procedure is going to be for US Citizens upon arrival at SCL....? Wonder if they will be doing anything similar to the US procedures of photo and fingerprinting, etc...?
Question I might be ignorant of, does the US do this for all entrants? I.e. visa required passport holders, and visa waiver countries? The US does it to many others I'm aware of, but the only country of the 13 or so I have been to in the past few years that I recall taking mine down in response is South Korea. Just trying to think if it has been done already by the US prior to Chile's entry into the Visa Waiver program.

I'm also personally very happy this fee is no longer charged .
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I doubt there will be any change from the current procedures. The only difference between reciprocity fee countries and those who don't pay is that the immigration officer first looks for the receipt stapled into the back of the passport. We "all" use the same lines with the same officers.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:21 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Eastbay1K is correct.

Unless you are one of the countries that has to visit the reciprocity counter, you just use the regular lines.

Visa / MC credit card machines weren't working at the reciprocity counter on our last visit so make sure you have enough USD cash on you to cover any fees.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
No indication that US citizens will be treated any different than before minus the payment booth step. Such an added move would have been all over the local media.

The fee was actually removed before the official signing which is surprising and makes it seem the Chileans were more eager to dump it than even those affected.

Remember, Chile had the fee much longer than a neighboring country and NEVER made a move to expand it past incoming international at SCL.

If a US citizen were to apply for a REAL visa, if approved, that would come with the photo and fingerprinting steps at the Registro Civil to obtain a CI.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Same here. Went to Chile a number of times in the 90s.

We have been thinking of going back but for a family of 4 + grand parents that was a substantial expense especially because we wanted to do the Lake District and cross into Argentina

Now planning on returning this Thanksgiving probably

Originally Posted by iahphx
This is great news for travelers from both countries. For the past year or two, I've been avoiding a return visit to Chile because my family's visas were no longer valid and I was looking at a $640 fee to enter. Now we will return as soon as we are able to.

I just wish they had made the announcement 2 weeks earlier. I've just booked my family on ff awards for Thanksgiving and Xmas. A few months ago, I booked my family on a visa-fee trip to Peru. I would definitely had made one of these trips "Chile" had I known. Oh well, I guess we'll wait another year. By then, perhaps there will be added air service, too.

<redacted>
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I paid it about a month ago. I don't suppose a refund is possible. On the plus side, I guess I no longer have to worry about losing that stupid receipt they staple into your passport.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Question I might be ignorant of, does the US do this for all entrants? I.e. visa required passport holders, and visa waiver countries? The US does it to many others I'm aware of, but the only country of the 13 or so I have been to in the past few years that I recall taking mine down in response is South Korea. Just trying to think if it has been done already by the US prior to Chile's entry into the Visa Waiver program.

I'm also personally very happy this fee is no longer charged .
Biometric information is collected from visa holders IIRC to compare to that on the visa.
Malaysia also does it (unless you hold a MACS card at the back of your passport and you are either Singapore citizen or permanent resident, or are assisting in development in Malaysia. I know several people with the first type of MACS sticker, but none of the second, so I won't comment.)
Edit: Biometric information is also required for Macau passport (look at the passport application.)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Mar 4, 2014 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
I paid it about a month ago. I don't suppose a refund is possible. On the plus side, I guess I no longer have to worry about losing that stupid receipt they staple into your passport.
Yeah, it sucks when that happens. I'm almost certain nobody is going to give you a refund.

Obviously, you would have paid when you arrived at SCL last month. Just rotten timing. Since they only sold one kind of visa, it's not like you had a choice of how much to pay.

The only lesson from this is that when you do have a choice in visa lengths, think carefully. I once bought a multi-year visa to a country that I knew I'd be back to, so I thought I was saving myself time and money. Shortly thereafter, the visa requirement was lifted. Some things are just ungameable, I guess.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Obviously, you would have paid when you arrived at SCL last month. Just rotten timing. Since they only sold one kind of visa, it's not like you had a choice of how much to pay.
Chile never sold any of us a visa. They charged us a reciprocity fee.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA, Alaska
Chilean Embassy to the USA still lists the $160 fee as being charged. As does the SCL website. What gives? I booked that TACA $370ish fare seen here on FT a few weeks ago and this would be sugar on that sweet deal. Is there an effective date or is it now? Getting conflicting information on the fee. Travel is end of this month for me.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timpdx
Chilean Embassy to the USA still lists the $160 fee as being charged. As does the SCL website. What gives? I booked that TACA $370ish fare seen here on FT a few weeks ago and this would be sugar on that sweet deal. Is there an effective date or is it now? Getting conflicting information on the fee. Travel is end of this month for me.
The Spanish version of the site has the fee gone. So, you better learn some español!

http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/tr-...acionales.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.