FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   International transit @ BOG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/1443812-international-transit-bog.html)

mkt Mar 1, 2013 7:03 pm

International transit @ BOG

So, since AV and B6 are soon flying nonstop SJU-BOG, I have an alternative to PTY for transit in the region.

So my question re: transiting at BOG? Will I need to clear customs/immigration? Or is it like PTY, where I can just continue to my next gate?

coolcoil Mar 10, 2013 1:26 pm

I don't know the answer. If you find out elsewhere, I would be curious to hear.

I have met people outside of security (and therefore past immigration that were only transiting through BOG (LIM-BOG-JFK), but I don't know if they voluntarily left the secured areas or not.

bingocallerb22 Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Me too, I am interested how the new terminal deals with int'l-int'l.
If no answer sooner, I'll check it out when there in a few weeks.

psoque Mar 12, 2013 11:20 am

I also have the same question. I have an itinerary that inclues a 1 hour and 16 minute connection in Bogota. We are connecting IAD-BOG then BOG-SCL, both on Avianca. I'm assuming (???) that Avianca would not sell this if this connection is too tight. Does anyone know if this is the case or not?

twilliam414 Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I just went through BOG last week and, while Bogota was my final destination, I could clearly see the signage indicating transit passengers towards a regular security line rather than immigration. I peeked over to take a glance and there was nobody in line (10P on a Fri, 3 US flights arriving at once). The terminally is woefully inadequate for BOG becoming some sort of regional hub, but the relevant part now is that following the security check you can get to any gate in the terminal within 10min, 5 at a brisk jog. 1h16 is more than enough.

All that there is at BOG, post-security, is a line of very expensive high-end fashion stores and duty free bookended by a fast food place and a New Orleans-themed pub.

psoque Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Thank you

Thank you very much.

eyeam2cool4u Mar 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Was just there - you can bypass local customs/immigration for international transfer but do need to go through another security scanner check. Bit of a walk but not huge or objectionable. Several duty free shops, buy some Juan Valdez coffee etc. I found the wines prices both here and in SCL (or Chile generally) to be much more than I could buy in North America. No savings at the airport vs downtown (and more expensive if local stores had a sale), and some premium wines were actually double US/Canada prices for the same wine which made no sense and I don't think my math was wrong (multiple by 2, divide by 1,000, add 5% to 10% for Canada and/or credit card rates etc. depending on the time).

plenty o options Jul 14, 2013 11:22 am

Overnight Transit @ BOG

Any thoughts on spending the night air side in Bogota?

Looking at an option of arriving on UA1068 @ 22:34 and departing TA131 to LIM at 5:40. Comparisons to Panama City (PTY) would be welcome as that looks to be my other main option for an award ticket at this time.

Thanks!

coolcoil Jul 15, 2013 4:28 am

Originally Posted by plenty o options (Post 21094930)
Any thoughts on spending the night air side in Bogota?

I have done an overnight in T2 and Puente Areo, but not T1 (international flights). I don't know if anything is open 24 hours inside immigration/security. I would feel more secure in T1 (within the secure area, that is) than I would in PTY, since passengers need to go through immigration and security to get in.* BOG is chilly at night, but probably no worse than PTY, where they air condition the place like a meat locker.

If you are willing to go out through immigration, T2 is a short walk, and there are a few restaurants (including McDonald's) open 24 hours in the non-secured area.

From what I have seen, stores in T1 (if open) appear to be willing to take US dollars. I don't think stores in T2 will take them. If you are using a credit card, then it's a moot point. Make sure your credit card company knows you will stop in Colombia, or your card may get suspended after the first one or two transactions. This would apply to PTY too.

Knowing what I know, I would say there is little to recommend one over the other. However, others may have more information.

*On reflection, you may need to go through immigration to get into PTY too. I don't recall ever seeing any non-international flights from PTY.

plenty o options Jul 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks coolcoil. I did some more searching and ended up managing to find an option that doesn't require an overnight through PTY by going out of CMH instead of DAY (CMH-IAD-PTY-LIM on a combination of United and Copa).

Looks like BOG will have to wait until I decide to visit Colombia someday.

drvannostren Oct 11, 2015 1:49 pm

Don't wanna revive a dead topic, and frankly I SHOULD know this, but I don't and the El Dorado website was useless in the matter.

PTY-BOG-SCL will I have to go all the way to the end of the hall go to customs then down to baggage claim only to then come back up to go through DIAN again? I feel like I've seen the signs for connections at that AV desk in the hallway with the elevator and escalator going upwards, but I could've sworn it said Nacionales. I've got lots of time so I CAN leave customs, but I'd rather not nor do I wanna deal with explaining to customs that even though I'm Canadian I don't need to pay reciprocity until I return because that's when I'm staying in Colombia, this is just a transit stop.

bingocallerb22 Oct 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 25549198)
Don't wanna revive a dead topic, and frankly I SHOULD know this, but I don't and the El Dorado website was useless in the matter.

PTY-BOG-SCL will I have to go all the way to the end of the hall go to customs then down to baggage claim only to then come back up to go through DIAN again? I feel like I've seen the signs for connections at that AV desk in the hallway with the elevator and escalator going upwards, but I could've sworn it said Nacionales. I've got lots of time so I CAN leave customs, but I'd rather not nor do I wanna deal with explaining to customs that even though I'm Canadian I don't need to pay reciprocity until I return because that's when I'm staying in Colombia, this is just a transit stop.

Yes, there is a in-transit security (the escalators you mention) about ˝ way to the immigration hall, for everyone. It takes you airside and all the shops there.

No you do NOT want to exit to luggage (important to those Cdns on separate tix) because altho Canadians are exempt from the revenge reciprocity tax this only works if you do the cut off in-transit. If you go to full immigration they WILL charge you the reciprocity bs*. Been there, done that.

*I say bs because Canada does charge Colooombians a fee to examine and process the visa, that is, they do something. All Migración Colombia does is set up a booth to collect the $80, no additional work at all, nada.

drvannostren Oct 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Yea, I hate that reciprocity, I wish I could just pay it once a year at a higher rate or something. The one benefit is I skip the entire immigration line. That line is often 60 minutes long and I'm through there in less than 10 usually, regardless of what flight I get off. Though in smaller airports, namely BAQ/MDE, they are sometimes VERY confused as to what to do with me.

bingocallerb22 you seem to have a decent handle on this...there's also an exemption "if you're headed to Cartagena" but nowhere does it say you have to have an AIR TICKET to Cartagena. I wonder about this...could you just say you're taking a bus and going to find a hotel when you get there? Or is the intention you show them a plane ticket despite that's not what the AC website says. Obviously the AC site isn't the official ruling, but I've read the official one and didn't think it was that much clearer.

bingocallerb22 Oct 11, 2015 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 25549858)
Yea, I hate that reciprocity, I wish I could just pay it once a year at a higher rate or something. The one benefit is I skip the entire immigration line. That line is often 60 minutes long and I'm through there in less than 10 usually, regardless of what flight I get off. Though in smaller airports, namely BAQ/MDE, they are sometimes VERY confused as to what to do with me.

bingocallerb22 you seem to have a decent handle on this...there's also an exemption "if you're headed to Cartagena" but nowhere does it say you have to have an AIR TICKET to Cartagena. I wonder about this...could you just say you're taking a bus and going to find a hotel when you get there? Or is the intention you show them a plane ticket despite that's not what the AC website says. Obviously the AC site isn't the official ruling, but I've read the official one and didn't think it was that much clearer.

For CTG it has to be a direct charter flight to there. There are a couple I've contemplated. They have not set up anything to collect the tax at CTG. So no, if you are arriving BOG for CTG and ask for the exemption for Canadians transiting they will tell you only for direct charter flights to CTG, not for you transiting BOG. Outta luck on that one.

(I've argued with Migracion Coloooombia about their false promise of exemption for Canadians in transit so much they have removed my posts and banned and blocked my posts. Talk about third world censorship! I had separate tix so needed to collect luggage. Paid the $80 because wanted my luggage and by “entering” Colooombia for 2 hours at the airport I could access Aeronautica Civil for the stamp and my tax money back, otherwise wouldn't get it. Funny, Aeronatuical Civil told me I was “in transit” and did not need the stamp haha)

drvannostren Oct 12, 2015 1:32 pm

Lol, I guess we're stuck paying it. CTG doesn't have too many INTL flights, I wonder if you were on that JFK-CTG-PEI flight, if you crossed customs at CTG (not sure how that flight works) what would happen.

It's an interesting situation if nothing else.