Reload this Page >

should I be wary of Paraguay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
● As shared by member Pucnit, Paraguay now offers Visa on Arrival for USA citizens and others, effective 01 Jan 2013.

● Use Star Alliance's version of IATA TIMATIC web to determine your visa requirements. <link>

● See dengue fever note below (post #26) as well.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott

Havw a trip planned in August, newspaper articles about government un setteling, Anyone have info advice?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:05 pm

Funny I was wondering same thing with a trip there for end of July.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I'd be more wary about figuring out how the heck I could occupy my time in Paraguay than any fallout from the recent impeachment vote.

Seriously, what is there to do in Paraguay?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Herb687
Seriously, what is there to do in Paraguay?
Find a way out as quickly as possible.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:44 pm

I am actually going to Iguazu falls but could not find any United mileage seats to the falls so flying into Asuncion and taking the bus to the falls.

A bit more exciting perhaps.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:25 am

Most important - don't get anyone pregnant. That seems to happen very easily in Paraguay.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:27 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by erik123
Most important - don't get anyone pregnant. That seems to happen very easily in Paraguay.
Yep.... very easy if you hold some form of higher elected office....
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:28 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not to be rude to our MercoSur brothers... but Im afraid that the above is probably true. Unless you are there for some business reason or to visit someone, there is not that much to see and/or going on.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Not to be rude to our MercoSur brothers... .
Ex Mercosur brothers.....and welcome to our new Venezuelan ones.

Mmmmm interesting.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Seriously, that's a bit of an exaggeration....

I actually quite enjoyed Paraguay when I was there for about a week. Asunción is a rather pleasant and comfortable capital where I stayed in a lovely hotel downtown and ate quite tasty meals. It's not Buenos Aires by any stretch, but it's an interesting place to spend a few days. Downtown has some cool cafes and bookstores, as well as German-type restaurants.

Also, the mix of Spanish and Guaraní cultures is unique, and - when you get out of the capital - you'll find people speaking Guaraní quite frequently. I was quite taken with the diverse mixture of the people. On a long-distance bus trip, I'd see indigenous Guaraní alongside tall, blond people (Germans or Mennonites, presumably). Paraguay definitely has a very different feel than most South American countries.

Also, the Jesuit reductions (Trinidad and Jesús) in the south of the country are interesting sites to visit. When I was at Trinidad, I was about one of three tourists there. I had a fascinating, one-on-one guided tour from one of the on-staff guides, who was wonderful.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
my colleagues in one of the ministries assure me that things remain peaceful and although cabinet members have changed day to day life is the same. In fact many of my colleagues maintain the same positions . I haven't been back yet to assess for myself but sounds as though things are OK, especially if you will be in tourist areas such as iguazu and take usual precautions to avoid any developing demonstrations. For about 80 bucks you could fly one way to ciudad del este, if you want to avoid the bus ride.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
I lived in Paraguay some time ago and return periodocially. While not a tourist mecca, Paraguay does have some interesting sights. While the present political climate is needless to say unique, day-to-day life continues unabated. Asuncion offers an array of government buildings of historical nature (Casa de Independencia, Palacio del Gobierno, Palacio Legislativo, Pantheon) within walking distance of most downtown hotels (the Crown Plaza is reliable and the Hotel Guarani has been "refurbished"). Many shops and cafes are located around the Plaza de Heroes and Plaza Uruguaya. Dining has come a long way in recent years and like Argentina, the beef is not to be missed.

Outside of Asuncion, the Jesuit Ruins and Itapu Dam are the other attractions. The real gem of Paraguay is, however, the people. Paraguayans have a "buena onda" (good vibe) about them. Paraguayans are exceptionally warm and friendly to foreigners. While English is not widely spoken, you'll find enough folks with a basic knowledge to help out when needed. Enjoy.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:01 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'm a bit interested to visit New Australia...has anyone heard of it? Also, is the food much different from neighboring countries? I think I've read pineapples originate from there, so there's...that.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:34 pm

I'm planning a trip to Asuncion/Luque that I leave for on Thursday and it does seem like quite a hard city to pin down.

TripAdvisor has a good deal of basic information but nothing specific about the different barrios, nightlife and side trips.

I got a basic plan but nothing to rigid for this trip.

I will say that Paraguay's history is quite the read, triple alliance to the current political climate, I am excited to see some of the historical locations and meet some Paraguayos.

I will have a nice 6 nights there so I will report back with how "wary" people should be when deciding to book that flight to Asuncion.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
How long does it typically take to get the visa (required for Americans, Canadians, and a hand full of others)?

Seems you have to get it in advance and not simply at entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.