Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Cambio/busses from SCL

Cambio/busses from SCL

Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Cambio/busses from SCL

I will be arriving at SCL on Monday. Does anyone care to share some wisdom on how best to change money for a ride into the city?

I'm staying in El Golf and speak some Spanish, but this is my first trip to Chile. Should I change a small amount in the airport for the bus into the city and then find a bank for a better exchange rate?

Is a bus the best way to get to el Golf (if so, which bus)? Or should I take a taxi?

I was planning on getting a bip-card to get from El Golf to Bellavista, etc. can I get one at the Airport using $US?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
The forex counter at SCL charges a flat service charge and, from memory of a couple of trips through Santiago, the rates were not far out from city rates, although more experienced SCL hands may well correct me on this. I'd change enough for a day or so, not just enough to get the bus. (... or use an ATM - I'm not sure if there are extra charges on airport ATMs.)

I'd suggest your best bet is to take the airport bus to Pajaritos Metro Station and change onto the Metro - El Golf has a Metro station on the same line as Pajaritos, so no changing involved.

You can buy your Bipcard at Pajaritos but only using pesos.

It may be possible to pay for the bus in US$ but that would not get you as far as El Golf.

All the best and enjoy Santiago.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Muchas gracias!

Any other tips from seasoned SCLers?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I would just take one of the shared shuttles from the airport. They are safe, cheap, and a lot less hassle than the combination of bus and metro. There used to be a booth for the shuttle close to customs.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Use an ATM at the airport. Changing cash at a bureau de change or a bank pretty much guarantees you a mediocre rate.

I second rmb.flk's advice to take the bus (called Centropuerto - you should be able to get change from the driver, if I recall) to Pajaritos and then change to the Metro. You can buy a bip card at Pajaritos.

The bus/Metro combination is extremely easy, especially if you speak Spanish. The only thing that might be difficult is that the train can be really crowded, especially if you have lots of luggage.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I think that's exactly what I'll do. I'll report back on how it goes for anyone else in a similar spot.

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Use an ATM at the airport. Changing cash at a bureau de change or a bank pretty much guarantees you a mediocre rate.
Disagree. Last week I drew CLP$50.000 from a Scotiabank ATM in Santiago using a Canadian bank card, and paid a commission of CLP$3.500, or about US$7.00. Ouch. Fortunately I can write the commission off as a business expense! The ATM at the airport probably won't charge less than US$5.00, would be my guess.

Moreover, there are many money changers in Providencia, along the main thoroughfares, and they all charge no commission with very narrow buy-sell spreads, at least if you're changing US$ or Euros.

If you're going to cab it into town from the airport, my advice would be pay for the cab with a credit card (you are not expected to tip the driver, by the way) and then change money in Providencia.

BTW, it is not easy to use US$ or Euros to pay for cash transactions in Chile. Nearly all merchants, taxi drivers, etc., expect to receive payment in pesos. Hotels catering to foreign tourists are the only exception that I know of.

Enjoy your stay, Santiago is a pleasant if not terribly exciting city.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Everything Siempre Viajando said was true in my experience (except that I found Santiago to be charming and fun for a short visit). Thanks to all who replied.

I took the centropuento to parajitos and then the subway. Even with limited Spanish it was quite easy and cheap. I bet the taxis are easier, but I like taking public transport in a new city whenever possible.

As for the cambio question: the airport ATM did take a fairly hefty fee and the banks in providencia had a pretty steep minimum to change $US-- they would not change less than $300US, which is more than I was willing to change for just a short stay. I ended up using ATMs mostly and seriously considered opening an account with Schwab. The fees on both ends are annoying.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Airport bus and ATMs

Airport Buses:

There are two companies. The other is Tur (same company as Tur-Bus) which I prefer over Centropuerto because of the below luggage hold (you will receive a receipt for your bags similar to the intercity buses) and their buses are in better condition than Centropuerto's buses. It is a couple of hundred pesos more than Centropuerto and there are two routes, one that terminates at their office on Moneda in Santiago Centro and the other at Terminal Alameda in Estación Central with both making a stop at Pajaritos Metro.

ATMs:

The free of Chile-side fee ones remain Banco Security ATMs and Banco Estado ATMs (CIRRUS only). Besides bank locations, Banco Estado ATMs can be found in large malls and Lider hypermarkets.

The cambios seem to take about 6 points. By using a card with no per use fee and a 1% exchange fee at a no fee Chile ATM, guess who the winner is?

There is a 200,000 pesos per withdraw cap at Chile ATMs except for Banco Estado which is 400,000. You can do multiple withdraws till you reach your bank's daily limit.

Last edited by Viajero Perpetuo; Jun 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.