Driving

Old Jan 28, 12, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Driving

Hi All

Is it possible to drive from Punta Arenas and El Calafate? Is it an easy drive? How long?

Cheers
Old Jan 28, 12, 8:14 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Yes, it is possible. The terrain is mostly flat, but there is a very strong wind. I think some of the road is unpaved.
According to Google maps, it's ~500km. The roads are interrupted at the border crossings, so it cannot calculate a route, but in reality a road exists there.
Given the high prices of international one-way rental + additional foreign insurance required, I'd take a bus and rent a car at the destination.
Old Jan 28, 12, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Most (if not all) rental car companies in Chile do not permit your car going into Argentina under any circumstances. I don't blame them.
Old Jan 28, 12, 1:19 pm

Well, I don't think so. You can, but have to purchase international insurance. I inquired at Hertz 2 years ago when I was stranded there due to the earthquake. I did not like the cost of one-way + insurance, luckily I managed to find seats in the bus. There was a local company that allowed it too, I don't remember the name. Was left with the impression it is not anything extraordinary at other companies. Things may have changed since then.
Old Jan 28, 12, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
Well, I don't think so. You can, but have to purchase international insurance. I inquired at Hertz 2 years ago when I was stranded there due to the earthquake. I did not like the cost of one-way + insurance, luckily I managed to find seats in the bus. There was a local company that allowed it too, I don't remember the name. Was left with the impression it is not anything extraordinary at other companies. Things may have changed since then.
It also might be location-specific. I recall @ LSC specifically having Anti-Argentina language in the contract. I believe I also have @ PMC.
Old Jan 29, 12, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Did more research and we have decided to base ourselves in El Calafate and hire a care from there. We will give Punta Arenas a miss. Could hire a care but was too expensive to cross border.

Cheers
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:44 am

Well, IMO Punta Arenas is not that interesting to be worth the hassle. Torres Del Paine is, and is much closer to El Calafate.

Search this Thread