6 full days in Santiago

Old Jan 10, 12, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

6 full days in Santiago

Would appreciate tips on what to do in Santiago. I'll be staying at the Hyatt. I am also thinking of taking a day trip for one of the days (I have work commitments during the daytime for 2 of my days). I am not sure where to go. I would not be interested in a winery, which is mostly what I have been seeing recommended for a day trip. I like generally like to visit historical sites, natural wonders and nice gardens. And I also like to shop and eat at really nice restaurants.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Jan 12, 12, 10:43 am
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
You could do worse I suppose than go to Valparaiso. Doesn't have much going for it apart from a fascinating topology but it is a topology fascinating enough to warrant spending the 6 bucks (ish) to get there and back.

As a wildcard you could check out the offers on LAN's Chilean site and consider flying to Mendoza for a day/night
Old Jan 13, 12, 10:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
I took a few trips from Santiago - really enjoyed the one to Pablo Neruda's house at Isla Negra. You should really try and do lunch at the Mercado Centrale but avoid the obvious tourist traps at the front - the best restaurants are tucked away at the back upstairs.
Old Jan 13, 12, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
If you've just got one day and don't want to do wineries, I'd try Valparaíso. Fascinating place!
Old Jan 14, 12, 7:08 am
Used to be '076753k'

Programs: AirCanada*G
I spent a few days in Santiago last year, if you love food, and since it is summer make your way to the vega central market, fresh produce and delicious food stands! I love no reservations, so I'd recommend watching the episode that was filmed in Chile. In addition, my go to guide for travel would be wikitravel, their was a number of good tips on the Santiago article.

Search this Thread