Wiki Posts
Search

Connection advice at SCL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Au, SPG Au, Amex Pt, Historically UA, *Alliance
Connection advice at SCL

In early Feb, I am planning to fly into SCL from NYC through MIA arriving at 7.55am and departing to IPC at 9.25am. It's a legal connection in SCL. Is it asking for trouble though? Has anyone here had experience with this connection? Is the LAN flight from MIA delayed much? How long does customs in SCL typically take? I wouldn't need to pay the $140 reciprocity fee I've read a little about.
Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:02 pm

JFK - SCL - IPC 90 minute connection

Made it with a little time to spare. Would have preferred a little more time.

- Flight landed 5 to 10 minutes later (7:00 am)
- One of the first off the plane (in C)
- Paid the reciprocity fee (no line) and was quickly processed by customs.
- Was told in JFK that I needed to reclaim/recheck my luggage. Turned out not to be true, but had to wait for all the luggage come off and sort it out. Probably lost at least 15 minutes here.
- Plane well into the boarding process when we arrived.
- Unfortunately, it was too early for a Pisco Sour as a pre-departure drink (at least for me).

You will probably be fine, but I had concern since there is only one flight a day to IPC. I did prepare a contingency schedule so I knew exactly how I would rearrange my trip if that flight was missed.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
You will be arriving (if on schedule) in the middle of the morning crush of incoming international flights.

You will not avoid the reciprocity fee.

You do not have time to wait fifteen minutes to find out if your luggage bypassed Chile Customs and was forwarded to the EI flight.

February is Chile vacation month and the domestic terminal will be busy and flights full leaving little room for mercy by bad LAN ground customer service personnel.

Since you have to pay the reciprocity fee, why not come the day before or earlier to make sure you will be catching your expensive EI flight and occupying your lodging and taking your tours as booked?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Au, SPG Au, Amex Pt, Historically UA, *Alliance
Thanks wb411 and Viajero Perpetuo. I do believe the reciprocity fee is by citizenship. So, I think I'm okay there.
However, flightstats don't seem to think very highly of the on-time performance on the LAN flight from MIA to SCL. Think I'm going to play it safe.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Specifically, reciprocity fee is based on the passport you are entering Chile on. If using a US, Canadian or Mexican passport to enter Chile, you will have to pay the fee. If you can submit another passport with easy entry into Chile, then no fee.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
How long does customs in SCL typically take?

It can vary a great deal. When I flew in on the 31st, I cleared immigration and customs in well under 30 minutes (business class, didn't need to pay reciprocity fee). On the other hand, I've had it take well over 2 hours.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Specifically, reciprocity fee is based on the passport you are entering Chile on. If using a US, Canadian or Mexican passport to enter Chile, you will have to pay the fee. If you can submit another passport with easy entry into Chile, then no fee.
And an Australian passport as well.

I am surprised with the comments about booking the luggage through Santiago to Easter Island. As this is a domestic flight, surely you have to take the baggage through customs and re-book it at the domestic check-in even if you have a boarding pass? I do not know, as I have never done this route, but I have always had to do this when connecting from International to domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.